No delete in iCloud's Photostream?

Discussion in 'Rant forum' started by latency, Oct 13, 2011.

Share This Page

1. latency

latency Existentialist

I've checked, and checked, and checked again, and I'm sure I'm not mistaken.

The feature I most wanted from Apple's new iCloud service was Photostream, where as I take a picture on my iPhone, and it's instantly uploaded to iCloud, where my laptop will download it. Never need to sync/download from phone again- awesome.

However, there seems to be a completely stupid deal-breaking error in their logic, because obviously we all take silly photos now and then that we don't want to keep, and here's where it gets great- you can't delete anything from the photostream.

You can copy your photos out of the stream and file them away in albums, but you can't delete them from the cloud.

The only way to do it is to either wait for 30-days for the photos to drop off of the cloud, or to turn off Photostream on all your devices and reset the stream from iCloud.com

So who the hell thought that was a good idea?

Additionally, because Photostream is separate to the Camera Roll album, if I could delete photos from the stream on my laptop, they wouldn't be removed from the phone's camera roll.

So I've either got to delete them one by one on the phone because there's no multiple select, or I've got to sync with iPhoto so it prompts me to delete imported photos.

Isn't that exactly what Photostream was supposed to replace?

Not usually one to bitch about a new free service, but I really think these are two clear design faults in a service that should've been perfect, given that it was supposed to replace the very hastily built MobileMe service.

2. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

correct, there currently isn't any way to delete from the photo stream.

3. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

latency, you really should have grasped the Apple concept by now...

"It's our way, or the highway"

;)

4. latency

latency Existentialist

Yea... I've never really been 'stung' by Apple's decisions and design methods, the few things I disagree with haven't affected the way I use my stuff, but this is a total deal breaker for a service I've really been looking forward to :(

I'd say I'm sure they'll change it, but some of the forum posts I've found while trying to confirm this were posted by beta users back in July :(

At least the other features of iOS 5 are treating me right!

5. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

which part are you saying doesn't have multiple select?
    the camera roll definitely does as i use it all the time.

6. latency

latency Existentialist

H'mm... how does that work then? I'm in the Photos app under camera roll, and can't work out any way of multi-selecting...

Only been using this 3GS for a week or two, so still learning really!

7. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

in camera roll tap the icon at the top right (square with arrow).
    you can them tap every photo and the icons at the bottom become available to delete, share, copy etc

8. latency

latency Existentialist

Ah, just assumed that was share/export!

That solves the annoying deletion problem!

9. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

my concern is the lack of ability to merge Apple IDs.
    having just migrated my mobileme to icloud, i have now ended up with 2 separate Apple IDs - not ideal really.

i sent off a polite email to Tim Cook expressing my concerns, and just now i've had a response.

say what you like about apple, but not a lot of companies would do something like that.

10. latency

latency Existentialist

Yea, I think it's all down to the MM system... I signed up for a trial a while back to reserve an email address and found that I couldn't use my existing apple ID because the MM account required a different username (the .me address).

Really starting to look like iCloud isn't what it was cracked up to be.

11. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

the problem i have is that my original appleid outdates MM.
    appleid is blah123, and mm/icloud is blah123@me.com

the problem is that the primary email address attached to the original appleid is blah123@me.com, and now i can't verify the email address to new appleid (which is the icloud account) as it's already verified against the original one !

12. Fat Jez

Fat Jez Master of the High Five!

From the posts I've read in Mac Rumors, Apple are working on a process to merge the IDs, but I don't believe there is an ETA at present.

13. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

i'm currently in communication with someone at the executive office at Apple Ireland HQ. It pays to complain/offer suggestions to the person at the top.

14. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

Apple.... ^_^

15. silve225

silve225 Super Kustomer

I was playing with the iCloud thing today and I was able to delete the photos from my iPad but how do u delete it from the MacBook pro??

16. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

you can't delete individual photos from photostream.
    you can delete them all by resetting the photostream via icloud.com.

17. silve225

silve225 Super Kustomer

thats stupid. i guess i will just reset it then. i only have two photos in there and i dont want any of them

18. latency

latency Existentialist

Yea... I've since disabled photo stream entirely.

I thought I'd live with it and just not take silly photos, but when I also recently discovered that it only works over WiFi that was the last straw.

I plug my phone in all the time to charge it anyway, so what use is photostream if it doesn't work over 3G?

I was at a concert a week ago, took a load of pictures, and thought 'awesome, I'll get home and sit in front of my laptop, and they'll all be in iPhoto already :) '

But no, because Photostream didn't kick in until I was home and on WiFi, the photos were synced when I plugged in my USB cable to charge.

I've come to the conclusion that iCloud is only useful if you prefer to use a mains charger, rather than USB.

19. silve225

silve225 Super Kustomer

im probably going to disable it to since i could just plug it in my comp and this way i get all the photos i want and could delete them. The ipad is always plugged in my comp anyway to put music on it.

20. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

or just leave them as they will auto delete anyway.
    them being there isn't causing you any problems so why bother resetting.