Next-Gen Consoles

Discussion in 'Technology / Gadget Forum' started by Jooster, May 17, 2005.

Share This Page

1. Fireblade

Fireblade Mental Modder[ator]!!

I reckon you must've seen it played on a standard telly then... coz the graphics of the 360 on a HDTV look "the berries" :D

2. fatnickc

fatnickc Yes...

But most people don't have HDTVs..

3. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy Obey Him

Exactly, How much your iaverage HD TV anyway £1000 ? £1500 ? £2500 For like a 32in or something similer, better off with PC still :D

Forgot to add that it only supports 32 players online :shock:

4. colweb

colweb Regular Kustomer

It is possible to get a HD ready 32" Philips LCD I think for £599, not too bad. But yes makes the cost similar to getting a PC anyway. Personally I'm waiting for prices of both the 360 and the HDTV stuff to drop a bit more before I take the plunge myself.

5. Neoki

Neoki Samurai Modder

The price of the 360 is low enough. Think about the hardware and what it would cost for a pc to match it. The graphics card looks to be £400 or more for a pc.

6. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy Obey Him

Where did you get that from 400 quid lol £150 - 200 more like. And cards in that range are usually about 520mhz but can be overclocked to overclocked to 630mhz, i mean the total memory of the thing is only 512mb split evenly split between system and graphics. Also games are cheaper for the PC, can be patched to fix bugs and a PC can be upgraded to keep it up to date.

Also how do we look at the PS2 now and have been for some time, pretty crap eh. Thats how it will look in in a couple of years or so.

7. Joesph

Joesph Krazy About Kustom

Whose we? I still love the games and the graphics of my PS2 and it'll be a very long time before I move on to another console. :p

8. re-enter

re-enter Registered User

Some are still good, although i dont think the new fugly controller will be any good, getting sued over 50 million (stealing the design of a small company) so they change the controller idea and they make that ugly thing!! :confused:

9. TheDean

TheDean General welldoer

Well,

The Revolution gets a new name 'Wii' - As in I need a wee :mad: ....Ridiculous, but I'm still getting one :D

10. DarkEntity

DarkEntity Im Skint, Bugger Off

The 360 is the dogs on an HDTV.

got a nice 42" HD in the livingroom, which makes GRAW look truely stunning :)

11. TheDean

TheDean General welldoer

very nice....Think Sky HD is comming out soon.....

12. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy Obey Him

Soon?? its here and has been for some time now.

13. TheDean

TheDean General welldoer

lol - Well that shows how bloody up to date I am! :eek:

14. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy Obey Him

hehe :) Its £10 ontop of the already very expensive monthly pay out, and you have to buy a new sky box.

15. theuncharmed

theuncharmed I was hatched

It doesn't all depend on speed you know.

There must be something more to a 7900GTx costing more than a 7800GTX although the speeds are the same? You'll find that the card 9although not technoly a card) inside the Xbox 360 is a good comparison to our current gen higher end cards costing £300 +

And as for the memory, my system uses stacks of RAM idle but the XBox doesn't have the AV software running or Steam or whatever additional apps. Its a pure bred gaming machine.

16. kempez815

kempez815 www.overclock3d.net

Yep theuncharmed hit the nail on the head. The 360 focuses on gaming. No rubbishy windows install, no AV products, nothing running in the background just pure output. The 360GPU is akin to the 580chip/ATI's next gen GPUand those cost $400+ (the one that is out ;))

Lets not get into this its just stupid. You wouldn't be able to build a PC that plays games as sexily as the 360 for £300 (inc a game or two). end of story. :rolleyes:

17. theuncharmed

theuncharmed I was hatched

Wish I had your fiance. She lets you get all the cool toys *dream*

Still having said that the XBOX 360 is an excellent games machine, developers are not able to access its full potential.

This usually leads to people saying that COD2 doesn't look as great as it does on the PC (although HDTV helps).

Wait till the developers get to grips with the new format, then you'll see what can be done. :)

18. 2112

2112 The Elder Race

The HD sky box costs £300 quid...

19. Fireblade

Fireblade Mental Modder[ator]!!

Uhuh... your point being :confused:

20. 2112

2112 The Elder Race

sorry, I dont really know what I meant to be honest I was justing quoting a figure. Personally I'm going for the telewest box because its the only one that is showing the world cup in HD.