Next-Gen Consoles

Discussion in 'Technology / Gadget Forum' started by Jooster, May 17, 2005.

Share This Page

1. Jooster

Jooster a.k.a 'BlackDwarf'

So... all 3 next-gen consoles have now been revealed. Here are some nice facts for anyone who hasn't been paying attention:

-------------------
    Xbox 360
    -------------------
    [​IMG]

Specs:
    -----
    Custom IBM PowerPC-based CPU
    * Three symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each
    * Two hardware threads per core; six hardware threads total
    * VMX-128 vector unit per core; three total
    * 128 VMX-128 registers per hardware thread
    * 1 MB L2 cache
    CPU Game Math Performance
    * 9 billion dot product operations per second
    -----
    Custom ATI Graphics Processor
    * 10 MB of embedded DRAM
    * 48-way parallel floating-point dynamically scheduled shader pipelines
    * 48-way parallel floating-point dynamically scheduled shader pipelines
    * Unified shader architecture
    Polygon Performance
    * 500 million triangles per second
    Pixel Fill Rate
    * 16 gigasamples per second fill rate using 4x MSAA
    Shader Performance
    * 48 billion shader operations per second
    -----
    Memory
    * 512 MB of GDDR3 RAM
    * 700 MHz of DDR
    * Unified memory architecture
    Memory Bandwidth
    * 22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth
    * 256 GB/s memory bandwidth to EDRAM
    * 21.6 GB/s front-side bus
    Overall System Floating-Point Performance
    * 1 teraflop
    -----
    Storage
    * Detachable and upgradeable 20GB hard drive
    * 12x dual-layer DVD-ROM
    * Memory Unit support starting at 64 MB
    -----
    I/O
    * Support for up to four wireless game controllers
    * Three USB 2.0 ports
    * Two memory unit slots
    ------
    Optimized for Online
    * Instant, out-of-the-box access to Xbox Live features with broadband service, including Xbox Live Marketplace for downloadable content, gamer profile for digital identity, and voice chat to talk to friends while playing games, watching movies, or listening to music
    * Built-in Ethernet port
    * Wi-Fi ready: 802.11a, 802.11b, and 802.11g
    * Video camera ready
    ------
    Digital Media Support
    * Support for DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 CD, JPEG Photo CD • Ability to stream media from portable music devices, digital cameras and Windows XP-based PCs
    * Ability to rip music to the Xbox 360 hard drive
    * Custom playlists in every game
    * Built-in Media Center Extender for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    * Interactive, full-screen 3-D visualizers
    -----
    High-Definition Game Support
    * All games supported at 16:9, 720p, and 1080i, anti-aliasing
    * Standard-definition and high-definition video output supported
    ------
    Audio
    * Multi-channel surround sound output
    * Supports 48KHz 16-bit audio
    * 320 independent decompression channels
    * 32-bit audio processing
    * Over 256 audio channels
    ------
    System Orientation
    * Stands vertically or horizontally
    ------
    Customizable Face Plates
    * Interchangeable to personalize the console
    ------

------
    Pricing and Dates:
    Core Package - Console, Wired Controller, Basic AV Cable = £209.99
    Special Package - Console, Wireless Controller, HDAV Cable, Communicator Headset, 20 GB HardDrive, Media Remote = £279.99

Accessories
    64 mb Memory Card - £22.99
    20 gb hdd - £69.99
    Wireless Controller - £32.99
    Wired Controller - £24.99
    Play & Charge Kit - £14.99
    Rechargeable Battery Pack - £9.99
    Wireless Network Adapter - £59.99
    Live Headset - £14.99
    Media Remote - £19.99
    Webcam - £TBC

Launch Date:
    December 2nd 2005
    -----

2. Jooster

-------------------
    Sony PS3
    -------------------
    [​IMG]

-----
    CPU
    *Cell Processor PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
    *1 VMX vector unit per core
    *512KB L2 cache
    *7 x SPE @3.2GHz
    *7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
    *7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
    *1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
    * Total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS
    -----
    GPU
    *RSX @550MHz
    *1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
    *Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
    *Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines
    -----
    Sound
    *Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell- base processing)
    -----
    Memory
    *256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz
    System Bandwidth
    *Main RAM 25.6GB/s
    *VRAM 22.4GB/s
    *RSX 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
    *SB< 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)
    -----
    System Floating Point Performance
    *2 TFLOPS
    -----
    Storage
    *Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1
    -----
    I/O
    *USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
    *Memory Stick standard/Duo, PRO x 1
    *SD standard/mini x 1
    *CompactFlash (Type I, II) x 1
    -----
    Communication
    *Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
    *Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g
    *Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)
    -----
    Controller
    *Bluetooth (up to 7)
    *USB 2.0 (wired)
    *Wi-Fi (PSP)
    *Network (over IP)
    -----
    AV Output
    *Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
    *HDMI: HDMI out x 2
    *Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
    *Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1
    -----
    Disc Media
    *CD: PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD, DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)
    *DVD: PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
    *Blu-ray Disc: PlayStation 3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE
    -----
    Pricing and Dates:
    £TBC

Accessories
    TBC

Launch Date:
    November 17th 2006?

3. Jooster

-------------------
    Nintento Wii
    -------------------
    [​IMG]

Specs:
    N/A as yet

News Updates:
    The Revolution will be backward-compatible, not just with the Gamecube (the Revolution will use full size DVDs, but you will be able to read the GC mini discs too), but also with the NES, SNES and N64.
    The Revolution will have 512MB on-board flash memory storage (and you can use SD memory cards if you need more space) that will probably be used among other things to store these NES, SNES and N64 games that you will probably be able to download from Nintendo's online service.
    The controllers, that Nintendo didn't show yet, will be wireless just like on Xbox360 and PS3.
    The Revolution will have 2x USB2.0 ports and WiFi out-of-the-box.
    GameSpot.com has the full video of the press conference here.

4. Olicg

Olicg Moderator

I've just stickied the thread as will hopefully stop a lot of confusion over the specifications of each console and I'm sure it will be a much debated subject over the coming months.

5. Zozart

Zozart used to be splaty

Good idea to stick it, but it might be worth formatting the specifications a little better? Tad difficult to read at the moment, perhaps put line breaks before and after the sub-headings (CPU, GPU, etc) and make them bolder? :D

6. -M-uuhh

-M-uuhh I Got Wii! :)

the ps3 controller looks fugly to me, althugh all the next gen consols look like modified alluminium trash cans/blade servers

7. LANcaster

LANcaster Doing endless research...

Nice to see that both Microsoft and Sony have finally realised the potential of the PowerPC processors. I would imagine that Apple are a bit miffed that IBM are offering Microsoft large-scale production of 3-core 3.2 GHz G5 chips when they are only being given 2.7 GHz single cores ones. :(

8. Zozart

Zozart used to be splaty

For anyone who didn't watch the Nintendo conference/not keeping up with news, the Nintendo Revolution was confirmed to be backwards compatable with 20 years of games through an online library.

9. BUFF

BUFF Kool KuKumber

According to this the PS3 is natively faster but the Xbox 360 easier to develop for.

10. PJ Matthews

PJ Matthews Moderator Supreme

And it looks like the Revolution will only be three times as fast as the Gamecube, not the 35 times faster than the PS2 the PS3 is. I hope thats not true as its the best looking and easiest to move around of all three.

11. PJ Matthews

They are POWERPC based they ARE NOT compatible with the existing PowerPC processor range and much of the trouble of getting the cores for the MACs to run at those speeds doesn't exist in these cores.

12. Jooster

New news proves that's not necessarily true:

Source: xbox-scene & IGN

13. PJ Matthews

I do not agree with the above, the PS3 is faster my some way in terms of raw processing power.

However I worry about the Revolution which could be the slowest of all three by a long long way.

14. Jooster

Wasnt my opinion... was just news from IGN.

I prefer the xbox anyway, maybe slightly biased, but i've never liked Sony (and the fanboys which say the PS2 is better than the xbox :mad: ), so I'll be supporting the xbox every way.

15. PJ Matthews

To be honest the XBOX design is rather poor and already you can see the Sony will have an extensive edge over the XBOX despite a difference of up to 6 months in launch dates.

Its the Revolution I really life. Its the best looking of all three and its nice and small but the processing power is probably not there.

Also you may have noticed the above sites are a tad biased with equally biased data from Microsoft.;)

16. rusty

rusty Registered Trader

i'm sorry but that's simply not true... none of these systems (well, don't know anything about the rev, but i'm sure i'll be able to include it in this) are "poorly designed".

unless of course you are talkign aesthetics which are completely subjective anyway.

Both the x360 and the ps3 have stunning features and design nuances that are incredibly advanced and well conceived - i'd like you to point out where exactly the x360 is poorly designed. indeed some of the technology in the GPU of the x360 is arguably more advanced and elegant than what we know of the rsx in the ps3 (note i'm not equating this to mean more power) for example the unfied shaders approach and the smart 3dram (if you haven't read up on that i suggest you do, it is interesting stuff)...

Sorry PJ, but you accuse the sites listed as being biased (obviously they are, but that's not my point) when perhaps you should apply the same to yourself.

personally i couldn't care less which one wins the paper wars - both have phenominal abilities and i intend to own both. The revolution is also probably going to sway me to pick one up merely due to that 20 years of content thing! my bank account is really going to be low come the end of 2006.

17. PJ Matthews

Taaa daaa! That and the fact the XBOX is huge again, you would have thought they would of worked on it. Oh well.

I own both current generation consoles, I'd say I'm not that biased :p :p :p

I can already tell you now that the PS3 will be the best selling console by some margin. The issues surrounding backwards compat in regards to the XBOX could prove to be a problem also.

18. PJ Matthews

Theres a few clues floating suggesting I may actually have a clue... :rolleyes:

19. rusty

rusty Registered Trader

the x360 isn't huge... in fact if you check back in a minute i'll go find a picture i saw a day or two ago with a gaming mag placed on top of it for scale. It is notably smaller than the original xbox and i think you'll find that the ps3 will be a very similar size (don't argue this with me now, come back to it when we get official dimensions from both, or better yet when we own both ;) )

personally i prefer the x360 design to the ps3 design (although i admit the black version of the ps looks pretty hot) and prefer the x360 controller aesthetic by a clear mile! like i said this is all subjective, so arguing about it is a fairly pointless exercise....

i don't doubt the ps3 will outsell the xbox... does that make it a better system? guess it depends on your viewpoint but i'd suggest that sales numbers alone are insufficient for such a conclusion to be made; the ps3 has a 4:1 userbase advantage over the x360 coming into the next gen (xbox vs ps2), i highly doubt the x360 will be able to overthrow that even if it is the better system.

I like the approach microsoft is taking this time though - they seem to have switched roles with sony - they are concentrating heavily on providing a big range of games (40 in the launch window alone) and are going all out to make it the most supported launch of all time. Ultimately i don't play specs, my gaming enjoyment is not directly related to the number of flops my console's cpu can crunch (nb interesting point - the ps2 cpu is more of a flops beast than the xbox's p3), and it's all about the games for me.

as for backwards compatibility - there's a lot of FUD going around the web at the moment. basically the official line is that top selling games will be BC at launch, and their ultimate aim is to provide full b/c. this suggests they are running a software solution a la bleem and are working over each game individually to ensure proper compatability. I'd rather this approach than a casual "yes it's b/c" only to find that half the games don't work properly.

i never said you didn't have a clue.... please don't take this as a personal attack - i am not intending it as such

20. rusty

rusty Registered Trader

here you go

[​IMG]

"Although the specs don't indicate a much smaller box than the current Xbox, the curvature of the design as well as the actual reduction in dimensions results in a much more sleek looking unit."

source; anandtech