Next basic question thread from me - overclocking..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by steveinspain, Oct 26, 2008.

Share This Page

1. steveinspain

steveinspain New Member

OK, following on from my last thread asking what to do about a new pc, I am wondering if I really ought to try overclocking at some stage, and why not give it a try on my current and old pc. I am not looking to achieve anything except experience.
    So, can anyone either point me towards a basic guide, or explain to me, but in the most baby-like language - I have never even gone into the bios, and don't even know how to do that properly.
    The current mobo is an Asus P4P800-E, and the processor is a P4 2.8 - I can't find out any more than that. It has a big zalman cooler that was the dogs in its day, so heat ought not to be a problem, but as I say, all I really want to gain is experience. I am also going to try to back up all my data to an external HD, then re-install XP - any clues how to do that, and how to wipe everything off the HD - again, in totally basic language - I have never even done a proper back-up, and have no objection to being talked to like an idiot - I may not even realize..!
    Many thanks to anyone who can be bothered to help me out
    Steve

PS - Will it be the same sort of process for my new pc, which looks like it will consist of this -
    Asus P5QL-PRO Socket 775
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.66Ghz 6Mb 45nm
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro LGA775

2. bluspikez

bluspikez Super Kustomer

Have you googled yet? I hate to sound unhelpful, but there are TONS of basic overclocking guides out there....

3. steveinspain

steveinspain New Member

I have, and have got as far as a site called pc stats, where they explain it, but I am still unsure about some of the terms and explanations used - my mobo is an asus P4P800-E deluxe - when I went to the Asus site I couldn't actually work out what Bios upgrades I needed as an example..
    I think I might wait till I have got the bits for my new pc sorted, then use the old bits to build a spare pc, and then, with some paid help, try it out - my fear is that I will stumble, and then be unable to sort it out..!
    Your reply is not unhelpful, but my reply might just show just how pc-ignorant I am...
    I do actually think it would be better to have a person-who-knows present to show me and thus remove the fear-of-messing-it-up factor ( I live a long way from help, depend on my limited internet contact to keep me sane, but have today found out about a man who might be able to help me..!