News of the World

Discussion in 'Topical Discussion' started by movinginthedark, Jul 7, 2011.

Share This Page

1. movinginthedark

movinginthedark Trogdor...

So recently in the news there has been a lot of speculation/comments and suggestions into phone hacking on behalf of News of the World.

For anyone who wants specifics, the BBC new website has a full run down:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14070733

The most recent allegations suggest phone hacking of murder victims as well as deceased soldiers who were touring Iraq/Afganistan.

However, I would like to stress that these are allegations and not factual, hence the on-going investigation. So please keep the rage under control :rolleyes:

Just wondered what peoples thoughts are on the matter.

2. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

my thoughts are that if people think that only the NOTW get their stories/tips from non-reputable sources then they are deluded.

i'd be willing to bet that every newspaper has used dodgy dealings at some point.

the newspapers wouldn't seek out the stories if the buying public didn't want them in the first place... classic demand and supply scenario.

3. movinginthedark

movinginthedark Trogdor...

I suppose - but then where exactly do you draw the line for moral implications. Just look at the Milly Dowler scandal.

Having said that, who really knows what goes on behind closed doors.

4. Graeme*Kustom*

Graeme*Kustom* Administrator

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14052690

Hugh Grant : "What's interesting to the public and what's public interest" [are not the same]

Many people are saying that News of the World will close just because the name has been damaged, but soon enough The Sun will just add a Sunday edition. Certainly would be surprising if they just dropped that market so easily.

5. Nanaki

Nanaki Nanaki

Murdoch is no idiot unfortunatly.

Even more unfortunatly most of the general public are.

In this word media is power and he controlls most of it. Most people will believe what they are told to (or read) if they think it is a reputable source and most people read newsworld controlled garbage.

So if in all of this he has to close down a brand and extend or start another thats not really a problem for him. He still sold the papers he wanted with his news in them. His only agendy is his own and if hacking phones and breaking most peoples moral codes is the worst they do I would be very suprised!

Seriously when you look at the global influence that company has nothing will happen to them. They can buy and sell to much power.

I am not the greatest fan of the BBC in the world these days as I think they are becoming more week willed every day however I would still support them over the alternative...

6. burgi

burgi That'll be me

thesunonsunday.com was registered on July 5th 2011.

7. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Loving AMD's new AM1 CPU

Im afraid only bad news sells, so other papers will benefit from this. Isnt it weird though how all of a sudden everyones getting their phones hacked.

8. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

phones aren't getting hacked.
    what is happening, from my understanding, is that voicemail is being "hacked", and being hacked i mean they are guessing the 4-digit password to get access to it.

someone phones the person (ensuring the line is busy), someone else phones the same person and then attempts to get access to the voicemail by making educated guesses at the password.

9. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

That *is* hacking!
    In this context "hacking" is getting unauthorised access to a computer system (The voice mail system)
    it may only be a 4 digit code but it's still illegal to access someone's voicemail without permission.

Bad Analogy Time:
    Even if the door has only a bit of tied string holding it closed. it's still illegal to undo the string and walk into the house without permission (it's called breaking and entering).

10. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

what i was saying was that it wasn't the "phone" that was getting hacked, as the voicemail isn't stored on the phone.

11. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

yeh but...
    "Interactive voicemail storage server" hacking doesn't have the same ring to it.... ^_^