New PC Build Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Elsie, Sep 23, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Elsie

Elsie Registered User

Hi All,

During a game of Grid in July at epicLAN#15, my gaming PC decided it's time on this planet had come to an end and passed away. It just turned off and would not (even after buying and installing a new PSU) come back to life.

It's time for a new one :)

I was thinking of buying an off-the-shelf unit (my son is still using my old Dell XPS 720 that I used to take to LAN's!) but there is less fun in that; you always have to make compromises and it's never exactly what you want. Whilst it might tick the initial boxes, you find that you can't fit a bigger GPU or mount more drives - so I want to jump into the self-build arena again.

I already have:

GPU Nvidia 970 (buying from a friend)
    PSU Corsair 650W (bought trying to bring old PC to life)
    Storage ... if a woman can never have too many shoes, a man can never have too many hard drives.

I'm looking at building the PC using Skylake, I figured I may as well jump to new technology. Yes, buying Z97/Z99 would be cheaper but it'll date quicker. The choices I have made so far (although I am willing to change!) are:

Gigabyte Gaming 7 Socket 1151 board
    Intel i5 6600K
    Corsair Hydro H100i GTX
    Fractal Define S Case

I'm not that good dealing with small spaces and I like the clean lines of the Define S, hiding the drives behind the main tray, the ability to mount s radiator on the top or front (I'm thinking of front) and excellent cable management.

The two things I would like advice on are:

RAM

Being a bear of very little brain I am having trouble choosing suitable RAM. I’ve checked the Crucial web site and this shows me their generic, plain RAM which would be fine in a PC if it was never to be seen again. I might dabble with overclocking and with the Define S case the internals will be on display so generic Crucial RAM is not what I want. Please can anyone suggest RAM modules that would:
    1. Be compatible with the Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 7 board
    2. Be aesthetically pleasing … i.e. match the red / white / black of the board
    I would also be interested to know whether people would recommend filling all 4 RAM slots (4 sticks x of 4gb each) or using 2 (2 x 8gb) sticks? Is there a benefit / negative of using 2 or 4 sticks? If I did play with overclocking would it be better to have 2 or 4 sticks?

M.2 Drive(s)

I want to use one of the M.2 slots with a 256mb drive to hold the OS and a few apps. I have one of the thin iMac’s with hybrid HDD/SSD and the boot time (even 18 months down the line) on this is insanely fast. If I powered on my iMac and (now dead) PC at the same time I would be logged into my iMac before the PC had finished POST and BIOS screens! I don’t want to be waiting for Windows to load like this; I want to power on and be into Windows / Steam ASAP. Can you recommend a M.2 drive that would be compatible with my motherboard choice?

I will be installing a pair of 250gb SSD’s in the tray behind the main board, one to hold Steam game files, the other for applications and libraries. I won’t be installing any HDD’s or an optical drive as besides the fans and heat sink pump I don’t want any mechanicals in the case. I’ve got more than enough external server storage for everything else.

Finally, thanks for reading and I would love to hear your recommendations for the build. I built my first PC around ‘97/’98 and a few since – but I haven’t built one for at least 9 years … so this is a tad scary!

Regards

Elsie.

P.S. Graeme, if you’re reading this, you’re still the best Duncan Banatyne impersonator I’ve seen :p

2. Graeme*Kustom*

Graeme*Kustom* Administrator

Ha, quite!

I'll get your email from your forum account and email you later on the above, just handle sales quotes and so on that way only rather than on forum posts - will pop you a message in a couple of hours.

Glod likes this.
  3. Elsie

Elsie Registered User

Thanks Graeme :)

4. Elsie

Elsie Registered User

Thanks Graeme :)