New Broadband

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Samsonite, Jul 17, 2012.

Share This Page

1. phil2715

phil2715 Registered + Sale

You say that, but I live in the ar$e end of the fens in a tiny village on a rural exchange and we're getting fibre in December.

Don't lose hope!

2. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

Brumster, I don't suppose a mobile provider put a 4G mast up near your village? Quite a few people use this while living in hope of something else! It will cost you around £50 per month for unlimited data, but you will get the latest phone, free calls and free texts (using the phone as either a USB or WiFi hotspot modem).

Probably a bit hopeful, but worth a shot!

3. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Just had a look at EE pay as you go mobile broadband and it doesn't say anything about prices. My mate gets 60Mb/s download on his phone and we get 4 on our land line :(

4. Samsonite

Yeah 4G is good if it's around - I get 70Mb/s down but maybe more impressive is 35Mb up. I think it is £52 a month unlimited or it was when I last checked - that's on contract of course, but then most broadband is...

5. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

I'm on a 30 day rolling contract but if I move to fibre it's a 12 month contract.

I just got this though:

[​IMG]

Either our internet really has gone down hill (It's Cable and Wireless so they've probably screwed something up) or one of the computers is downloading a load of updates. I'm the only one up and on a computer at the moment I think :confused:

6. FinlandsForsh

FinlandsForsh ChrisForsh

7. MMovie2000

MMovie2000 ||POP||THEM||TARTS||

Hey Samsonite some vwry beautiful speeds there could you give me an approximate area that you are getting those speeds? (e.g: what county that is in)

8. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

A few questions for you guys on fibre. How long is you contract and what is your off peak usage limits? We're looking at £30 to £40 a month for a 125GB off peak limit with a 12 month contract.

9. FinlandsForsh

FinlandsForsh ChrisForsh

here in finland its uncapped

12 month contracts

10. Samsonite

Hey MMovie2000, I am getting these speeds in the London borough of Bromley.

11. MMovie2000

Cool thanks I wonder what I would get in Scotland Ayrshire?? :D

12. Samsonite

I have an "issue", well it's hard to say what it is but it's annoying. My laptop and gaming PC are right next to each other and they are both connected to a Gbit switch via identical cables - the switch is connected to the Virgin Media Superhub. When I run speed tests, the laptop is always higher - if I run test after test, taking it in turns on each machine, the laptop out-performs the PC. Now, I would put it down to the network card perhaps, but it makes no sense - surely a Gbit network card is not going to take off a couple of Mb/s from a 160Mb/s internet speed?

My assumption has to be that whatever speed internet connection you have, if your network card is not great, it will have some overhead and shave off some speed. I still don't see why this would happen though - sure, I may expect just under 1Gb/s due to overheads, but I would not expect it to reduce any connection speed I have.

Anyone know more about this or have any ideas?

Just to illustrate:

Test on gaming rig
    [​IMG]

Test immediately after on laptop
    [​IMG]

Cheers,
    S

13. MMovie2000

Hey Samsonite,

I would assume it was because the laptop is taking priority over the PC. (I don't know for certain but it might just be your network card in the PC isn't very good and is capping your speed.

14. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

plusnet have no usage limits on their 40/20 and 80/20 unlimited packages.
    line rental with plusnet and fibre is only £12pm i think for 40/20.

15. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

speeds depends on the distance to your street cabinet and the quality of your copper line.

16. Samsonite

I think it is the NIC in my PC - Realtek. Just did a file copy test from laptop to PC and it maxed out my CPU making the PC unusable! When I copy files the other way it uses hardly any, so seems like an issue with the NIC and downstream data. Other people report the same issue with Realtek. Perhaps a new NIC is required.

17. Samsonite

Hmm, well out of curiosity I uninstalled the NIC and removed all drivers. I used the disc for the motherboard and it installed the driver but reported that it did not work properly. I then asked Windows to update the driver (tethering my phone for internet temporarily) and it updated. Now working and the speed test has improved marginally, but that ping though...

[​IMG]

But probably more importantly, the file copy hardly touches the CPU now. The driver is actually the same one as before, but something must have happened when I used the CD, despite the driver not working... weird.

18. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

speedtest isn't a reliable method of testing NICs.
    i assume you are using something else to test as well?

19. Samsonite

Yes, I did the testing over my LAN which was where I realised the pulling large files from another machine maxed my CPU. Disk to disk was fine and I tested various other ways. It was only the speed test which highlighted a strange difference between the desktop PC and laptop when flipping between the 2 despite both being connected in the same way.

You wouldn't expect a Gbit NIC to lop off internet speeds - it's like all the data gets slightly throttled by 1 or 2 percent by the NIC. A bad driver does seem like the likely cause. Happy that it works now - the internet speed was good enough but in some ways I am glad I found the CPU maxing issue as that was clearly wrong!

Also the laptop gets the same internet speeds using WiFi so that made me start testing the NIC on my LAN, removing the internet from the equation.

20. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

Realtek NICs are pretty rubbish. The reason for the CPU use is that they offload a lot of functions to the CPU via the driver and OS, much like a fakeRAID card does with RAID calculations. That said for it to force your CPU to 100% suggests a faulty driver or firmware, sure it'll use your CPU but it shouldn't go anywhere near 100%.

With regards I suspect it's not slowing down your connection per se but that it has a higher % overhead on anything going through it. It should still be able to cope with, say, 500Mb/s but where an Intel NIC might give you 480Mb/s the Realtek might give you 460Mb/s or 450Mb/s or whatever.

As with everything though it's a case of:

Manufacturer: "Would one like an Intel NIC on one's motherboard?"
    Customer: "Yes yes yes please gimme gimme I'm sick of this Realtek rubbish!!!"
    Manufacturer: "That will be an additional £15 per motherboard please."
    Customer: *shuffles off quietly pretending nothing ever happened.*

And, to be honest, quite rightly so - because they're good enough for most people in most situations.