New Broadband

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Samsonite, Jul 17, 2012.

Share This Page

1. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

Hi guys,

There have been many discussions on various ISPs and now I am torn between cable and ADSL. I'm currently on 16Mbp/s ADSL, but moving house in a few weeks and have a choice of BT Infinity or Virgin (broadly speaking). I thought it was a no brainer to go with Virgin for the 100Mbp/s connection, but BT offer 76Mbp/s + around 30Mbp/s upload speed - way higher than Virgin. Now a load of friends tell me they have recently switched from 100Mbp/s cable to BT Infinity because cable was poor and never got the speeds, whereas BT guarantee 76Mbp/s etc. so now I am very unsure!

Anyone else compared the latest BT Fibre connections to Virgin?

Cheers,
    S

2. Samsonite

Thread revival - I thought it funny that nobody replied to this, but interesting that what I said turned out to be the opposite of the truth.

I went with BT Infinity and it became apparent after the install that "you get whatever speed you get and it takes 10 days to level out". So my 76 Mb/s package turned out to be about 40 Mb/s (and upload only 6 Mb/s). I stuck with this for 2 years, but as of today got Virgin 152 Mb/s installed. It seems that most people on this package actually get more than 152, even though it is an "up to" service like Infinity.

Happy days:
    [​IMG]

Just in case anyone else wonders what a comparison of the two higher end consumer broadband packages are like. Even if I got the max 76 Mb/s on Infinity it would be less than half what I get now!

3. Koolpc

Koolpc Not From Earth

If i could get Virgin where i live i would def go for it.

4. Samsonite

Yeah, I've never lived in a Virgin area before and the previous owner had BT Infinity so I just got that (plus it was easy to switch on as I was with BT already). The Virgin engineer said that my house had switched between Virgin and BT 4 times. He was very confident that I would get more than the 152 Mb/s as he had done 4 houses on the same street in the past month and they averaged 156 Mb/s.

BT people really patronise you though - when I went on the BT forums to ask why my speed was so disappointing or how I could get it better - they basically say you have to suck it up and live with it.

5. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

Unfortunately it's true. They do say there's things you can do like plug the modem into the master socket rather than an extension, stuff like that. Personally, unless you're using an extremely old ratty phone extension I have to question if that last 10m or so really makes a difference.

I was going to go with BT Infinity - probably from Zen but it's still a BT Infinity line - until I realised that the estimated speed for the area I'll be living in is something like 16Mb/s. Even though that would be an upgrade from what I have now it's not even close to the 76Mb/s that BT suggest; hell it's not even particularly close to the theoretical cap of ADSL2+.

So I can get 16Mb/s Infinity with a phone line for £46 a month or up to 152Mb/s broadband, TV and phone line with Virgin for a piddly £15 a month more (£61). I don't particularly care about the TV part but given that the Mrs-to-be wants something better than Freeview keeping the peace is worth the £15 and gives me an excuse to get faster broadband.

Samsonite - you may not have asked them to do this, but do you know if Virgin will install 2 separate locations in the house? E.g. TV in living room and a cable for the modem somewhere else?

6. Samsonite

I didn't ask, but they did ask what I wanted and where - other people I know have had loads of stuff done - they seem very helpful and will move mountains to get you connected. Apparently someone round the corner from me had the biggest front garden and the engineer dug a small trench down the edge of the garden to lay the coax cable from road to property - seems very straightforward though and the speed you get is what you get - not like Infinity where you wait for 10 days for the line to settle and every time there is a disconnection, you drop in speed while it builds back up over days - constant battle of speeds going up and down... rant, rant, rant :p

7. Koolpc

Koolpc Not From Earth

Would i move to get cable? Yea!!!!!!!!! lol

8. Archaon

Good to know, thanks. :)

9. BryanHand

BryanHand Regular Kustomer

When they came to my house the other day to change from Smallworld to Virgin since they got bought over, I had the guy put the TV in one room, phone in another and the internet in the third. Didn't mind at all, as long as he got access to the loft to tidy the cables away.

10. Ninjagordy

Ninjagordy Winner of The Game (UJFL)

what speed you getting Bryan!!

11. BryanHand

BryanHand Regular Kustomer

Tonight, not a lot (relatively). Normally hits 140/150, with Steam downloads hitting 200 (which I've never understood)

[​IMG]

12. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

:( I want BT to come and fix my damn phone line. We're capped at 4Mb/s download and 512Kb/s upload on a Cable and Wireless LLU because our broadband disconnected when the phone range :(

13. Archaon

Steam is the thing that downloads fastest on my connection as well. As in it literally shags my bandwidth to the point where normal web pages struggle to load.

14. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

actually it's not true.
    there is no 10 day training period with FTTC/VDSL - that's only with ADSL.
    FTTC has a 2 day period where your profile is open and then after 2 days DLM works out what is best for you.

drops in speed after a longer period of time is simply down to cross talk as the cabinet increases in use. so the more people that use that cabinet the worse it will get.

15. Koolpc

Koolpc Not From Earth

Seen someone today who is with BT and his speed is 0.23!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

almost certainly a line fault there.
    either that they are many miles away from the exchange.

17. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

i'm sure we've had this discussion many times before.
    disconnection when phone ringing is almost always an internal fault and not an external fault - thus BT (and by BT we mean Openreach) wouldn't really have anything to do with that.

being capped at 4Mbps means that DLM is attempting to do it's job correctly.

18. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

I know, with nothing but the router plugged into the test socket I got the same results. We had to ask for the cap to be applied.

19. Ninjagordy

Ninjagordy Winner of The Game (UJFL)

my Cabinet has just gone live for FTTC , i have been told between 73-80mb/s for infinity so thats a huge jump for me from 7-8 mb/s adsl :)

20. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

Yeah, I'd be quite happy with 20Mb down/2Mb up than this POS 6/0.25 I've got right now, but it'll never happen. I don't live in a city and it's quite clear no-one is interested in investing in small perimeter suburbs/villages like this :( we will move eventually, and when we do I will make sure internet capability is something that's considered..!