Need a silent 40mm fan - Fractal Design?

Discussion in 'Silent PC's' started by ojobson, Mar 25, 2011.

Share This Page

1. ojobson

ojobson Donkey!

I need a 40 x 40 x 10 fan for my intel atom 330 board - I replaced the original a while ago with a Scythe Mini-Kaze and this was quieter, but still buzzed. I appreciate that most small fans will make some noise but its the profile of the noise which is annoying.

A yate loon (my personal preference) 40mm fan is hard to get hold of, so I'm wondering if a fractal design or akasa fan would do the job?

I'm on a mission with the atom board system at the moment - it was a cheap home server build and I'm replacing the psu fan with a yate loon (I generally only use these) this weekend so the only noise left will be the Scythe's buzzing.

I have recently started doing voice overs and podcasts at home, for work, so I need the place to be silent!!

2. latency

latency Existentialist

You can't win with small fans, you're best off finding a way to fit bigger fans, or put the system out of the way so you can't hear it :(

3. ControlPC

ControlPC PC Silencer

Can you fit a larger, passive solution at all?

What are your temps like, could you just use an inline resistor to reduce the fan speed of the Scythe?

Is there any room in the case to just suspend a bigger fan?

4. ojobson

ojobson Donkey!

I thought about fitting a passive solution - but I have no idea what my temps are as it's running OS X and I haven't found a tool that can measure the temps.

I did have a 120mm coolermaster hanging about (I ditched these out of the CM 690 II that I just put my main rig into as I replaced the CM fans with Nexus / Yate-Loons). The server in question is now in my old desktop case - a Nexus Breeze - it's great for anything that doesn't produce much heat and never really worked for my desktop system. So yeah, plenty of space to hang a 120mm coolermaster:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's not pretty, but proof it works - I'll come up with a more permanant solution once I've replaced the noisy 140mm fan in the power supply with a Yate-Loon (when it turns up!), but so far both heatsinks seem barely warmer than room temp to touch - they were certainly warmer before. Crucially, no buzzing. Just the humm of the PSU fan to cure.

5. ControlPC

ControlPC PC Silencer

6. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

I use iStat 2.0 on my Powerbook to monitor the tempatures. Works better than waiting for a burning smell.