Nürburgring in 7:22 by an electric car.

Discussion in 'Cars / Bikes' started by Bryanese, Oct 2, 2012.

Share This Page

1. Bryanese

Bryanese Tasted LAN and liked it.

The title says it all. LINK

2. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

It sounds like two birds singing together. I kept waiting for a gear change that never came.

3. latency

latency Existentialist

I wonder how smooth the transmission is on these things... when you lift off the gas past 5krpm, if you don't change up a gear at the same the engine and transmission is going to kick you in the back of the head as the car suddenly decelerates.

Same thing happens in slow moving traffic, jolting along in 1st gear.

Does look like fun though, constant torque, no messing about keeping the engine in the power band.

4. Ninjagordy

Ninjagordy Winner of The Game (UJFL)

5. latency

latency Existentialist

Yes that's my point, does the lack of a gearbox make the car horribly jolty to drive?

Would you want a sports car like this?

6. Ninjagordy

i wouldnt think so, i would imagine these are running some sort of sensored brushless motor which is super smooth on the take of even from a stand still. non sensored brushless motors can give off a coggin sensation and sometimes stick but modern technology and even esc programming can eliminate this issue, im sure that there will be none of this and im only going by what i know from racing electric touring cars for years (1/10th scale) i would imagine that the running gear is a larger variant of the small motors we run in these. super efficient and very very quick with serious rpm/torque.

7. Ninjagordy

8. latency

latency Existentialist

Nice...

It'll be weird, saying goodbye to the gearbox. Part of the satisfaction in driving for me is working a good ol' fashioned five-speed.

9. Ninjagordy

aye it would be well weird...... its a lot quieter as well.... :D

10. latency

latency Existentialist

I'm partial to the whistle of a japanese turbo myself ;)

But I do love an electric whine as well, like when an old hard drive spins up... I could easily live with the noise!

11. phil2715

phil2715 Registered + Sale

Meh, I remain to be convinced on electric cars.

The fuel tank in my car carries about 45kg of diesel which contains 2,000MJ of energy.

A 45kg battery, even picking something fairly new and exotic, won't hold any more than 405MJ of energy.

So with an electric car at the minute you have the option of terrible range or a massively heavy battery pack that compromises handling. Never mind the fact that I can get those 2000MJ into my car with about 5 minutes in a service station as opposed to 16hrs parked next to a charging point.

Personally, for the next 10-20 years my money is on super efficient petrol/diesel engines with mild hybrid assist.

EDIT: And before anyone says hydrogen, barring any revolutionary advances in storage, the fuel tank would have to be 7 times larger than a diesel tank to hold 2000MJ so the design of the car (especially small cars) is going to be massively compromised.

[​IMG]