My brother.

Discussion in 'Rant forum' started by Bryanese, Mar 26, 2012.

Share This Page

1. Bryanese

Bryanese Tasted LAN and liked it.

I'm actually not really sure where to start with this as far too many aspects of the little f*****'s attitude/behaviour make me angry. So, I'mma just list everything he does to p*** me off.

My brother turns eighteen this year but may as well be turning twelve. He very rarely contributes around the house. Doesn't clean, wash dishes, doesn't hoover, doesn't even bring down his dirty laundry. But he does take out the garbage (sometimes) once a week - credit where it's due, right? He sleeps until five in the evening most days of the week and then either gets up and spends the next twelve hours on his Xbox (internet connection for which is paid for exclusively by me) or goes out with his friends to drink, drive or both.

He has a learner's license but has stolen both my parents' cars multiple times without consequence. What I mean is, he's been shouted at for stealing them but nothing more. One time the Police even stopped him only to not bother to check his license nor the car's registration and let him go on his way. Honestly - the f***?

He doesn't work, so, doesn't put any money back into the house for the food/electricity/gas he so voraciously consumes. He does, however, attend Kilmarnock College three times a week. Well, I say he does but only if he's in the mood to and only after my parents have spent an hour screaming at him to get out of bed; he doesn't set an alarm clock, you see, and relies purely on my parents waking him.

On top of all of this, he treats my parents - especially my mother (couldn't give a f*** about my dad as he's just the older version of uselessness around here, but that's another matter) - like utter **** and me even worse. My mother cooks for him, does his washing and even gives him money despite the fact that he gets an EMA. He's also violent if he doesn't get his own way; kind of like a petulant six-year-old only one standing six-foot-two and with a decent punch on him who isn't afraid to prove it.

But what's ****ing me off right now is the fact that he continually steals from me. Money. Straight from my wallet. His own f****** brother. Whatever's there he'll take it. I've been told countless times now to hide my wallet but, seriously, it's my house, too - my f****** stuff should be safe in here, there should be no reason for me to have to hide it.

Yesterday I figured I'd leave a note inside my wallet, just a simple "KEEP OUT!" scralled on the back of a receipt. This morning I found the note underneath my wallet and the five pound note, which was inside it, gone. This ain't the first time and it'll likely not be the last. When asked, all he had to say was "Eh, how was it me? Awrite, whatever".

In retaliation I could block his Xbox from accessing the internet through my router on grounds of "I pay for our broadband and he acts like an ****, why should I allow him access?" but he'd simply unplug my router and walk out the door with it. Seriously.

To surmise: he's lazy, ignorant, violent, isn't interested in his future and a thief. If he were my kid, I'd chuck him out of the house but my parents won't hear anything like that but I know for a fact that if I were half as bad as he is my parents wouldn't think twice about it. After leaving school, I was told that if I didn't have a job, I wouldn't have a place to live. Shouldn't the same apply to him? Shouldn't his behaviour be brought into question with regards to his place in this house?

I'm just at a loss.

2. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

simple solution, move out and get your own place.
    as it stands right now, it's not your house so it's not your rules.

3. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

Sounds like the problem lies with him and your parents. Ignoring the more serious things, some basic punishments would be a good start - and I must emphasise that I mean from your parents, not from you. It's their house and he needs to treat it as such.

If he doesn't do his work, take his XBOX.

If he doesn't get up, don't cook dinner.

If he doesn't bring his clothes down, don't wash them.

If he doesn't get a part time job (or at least do some chores - vacuum, cut the lawn, whatever), he doesn't get any money.

If he assaults one of you, not being funny call the Police.

Given that you have no power in the house or over him there's nothing you can do to fix it, aside from little things - as you say hiding or locking up your wallet, stuff like that. Or just get a lock put on your door.

I imagine typing that was a waste of time or else your parents would have already done that and you wouldn't be ranting, but that's basically what needs to happen.

4. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

One of my mates parents have a combo lock on there door to stop his bro stealing stuff.

Only thing I can suggest is "move out".

5. Graeme*Kustom*

Graeme*Kustom* Administrator

I have a room to rent out if you're stuck. Good transport links, 20Mb broadband and cost effective.

I know how these things work. Anyone I know wouldn't care about space or facilities, as long as there's decent internet.

6. jacobzcoool

jacobzcoool Chav Hunter

Yeah, moving out sounds good... It can't be pleasant living with him even theft aside. Really though, I'd at the very last hide my wallet, if you let him do it then he just gets more used to it (don't get me started on EMA anyway... :mad: ).

7. latency

latency Existentialist

I've encountered people like this before, though thankfully not in my family.

I second the others, move out if conceivably possible. Sometimes the best life choices you make are done while you're on the back-foot, and I say that from experience.

Failing that, your only choice is to lock up your room. I agree that it's no way to live, but as others have said, you're not the problem here.

8. silve225

silve225 Super Kustomer

one of my friends use to steal money and his parents cars. He was always getting in trouble in school. always cursed out his parents. Then he got arrested he was good for a little while and then went back to being bad.

9. Bryanese

Bryanese Tasted LAN and liked it.

Firstly, I'd like to just stress that his behaviour isn't as borderline sociopathic as I made it out to be. Yes, everything I wrote is true but he's not out terrorising the local populace nor burning orphanages, he's just incredibly selfish and needs a serious attitude realignment - is it ironic I'm now defending him? I just wanted to rant about the fact that he gets away with so much and there seem to be no repercussions for his actions.

Secondly, no, I couldn't just lock the door as we share a room. I could still hide my wallet but my point is that I shouldn't have to in my own home, rant, rant, etc, etc.

Third and lastly, moving out (as appealing as the idea is and I have considered it at great length) isn't exactly an option either for numerous reasons I shan't bother getting into.

@Graeme: Ta muchly for the offer, it's very much appreciated but I'm good, thanks. I will, however, be down in Ayr most of the week come August when I start my aircraft engineering course, so, you may live to regret that offer yet! : P And, yeah, a lack of space and facilities mean nothing when you have highspeed internet access.

Thanks for taking time to read and offering advice guys, but all I wanted was to bitch and I've done that and feel better for it.

10. latency

latency Existentialist

Yup, it's good to bitch- get it out so you don't snap at someone.

Remember though, when you're apparently the only sane one in a situation, it's up to you to take steps to avoid confrontations.

Knowing that your brother probably won't change, it's now your responsibility to lock your door. If he takes your stuff, you have only yourself to blame for not locking him out.

11. RustyTool

RustyTool Relatively New Member

he's just 17 , don't expect from him to be responsible. remember how u guys were at his age.
    on the other hand some basic rules must be set (by ur parents)and respected (bu ur brother) . I don't know if punishment is the right way for his "alignment" (he's not 10 years old) but having a serious talk with him can be a good start .

12. liadbacklad

liadbacklad All donations welcome!

Shut down the internet.

SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING

13. Nanaki

Nanaki Nanaki

Sounds like he needs an arrow to the knee...

:)

14. Osiris

Osiris Gentleman and Scholar

Put cheetos in his X-box. That'll learn him!

15. liadbacklad

liadbacklad All donations welcome!

Thomas@Kustom - Do not advise someone who is looking for advice, to poo in anything

16. latency

latency Existentialist

BS.

By the age of 14 I had traded my pocket money for 512k ADSL, worked paper rounds and any other jobs I could find, bought all my own computer parts, and have never in my life stolen from a family member.

The actions here are inexcusable for a lad of any age.

You're right that an intervention may set him right, and he may say 'Good grief what a tool I've been- it's time to get my life on track', but age is not an excuse for behaviour.

Punishment isn't the way either, but enforcing responsibility is the way to go.

If I were Bryanese, I'd lock him out of internet access until he starts chipping in toward the bill, and I'd have a lock on my door to keep my possessions safe.

17. PilchY

PilchY -=Meh=-

Yeah but as was said, they share a room. So perhaps buying a small safe to keep possesions safe could be a better idea, heck even put the router in there and keep it safe and make him pay for the internet!

18. latency

latency Existentialist

Oh wait, I missed the room sharing bit :(

Yea, a safe box may be in order :(

Router can be locked via technical means if it's a good one.

19. Trog

Trog PW Engineer.

If the router is wireless and you are left alone in the house enough could you move the router up into the loft or somewhere else out of sight. Where it can be connected to power and phone. Then secure it so that he can not connect to it.

20. RookSha

RookSha New Member

I felt my blood boil reading this. Dunno how you've put up with it and not put him six feet under.

Also gonna point out I'm 17 and this made me feel better about myself knowing I wouldn't jipp my brothers or parents at all, never mind as bad.