Must have Adroid apps?

Discussion in 'Technology / Gadget Forum' started by latency, Jul 25, 2010.

Share This Page

1. latency

latency Existentialist

KILL THE HERETIC!

Another question for you savvy android users- what are the benefits of rooting an android phone?
    Strikes me that you have enough freedom already on this platform, but people still seem to do it?

2. Abnormal1

Abnormal1 Regular Kustomer

Well for me personally I rooted my phone so that I could get app2sd since the desire does not have enough storage space for apps.

However generally the root is not as important as the fact it allows for custom ROMs to be installed.

3. kopite

kopite Super Kustomer

The benefits especially as a hero user is that I would have been stuck with 1.5 since last october whilst HTC brought out new phones.

I also wouldnt be running froyo atm :)

4. latency

latency Existentialist

ah makes sense... HTC are supposed to get 2.2 on my Wildfire imminently, so looks like I won't have to take any drastic action to get Froyo :)

5. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

Think "3" will be updating their HTC andriods in September (that's when Three's branded version of the OS will be ready)

6. latency

latency Existentialist

Wish they wouldn't bother with branding :(

The only person who sees it is the owner of the phone, and they know what network they're on.

7. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

I know!! I debrand all my Nokias as soon as i get them.

Wonder how easy it is to debrand Three's HTC's...Hmmm.... looks like i need to do some some homework before i get one... lol

8. latency

latency Existentialist

My one's not that bad, it shows the Three logo during startup, and there's a Three HTC Sense theme on there, which you obviously ditch and customise before anything else anyway.

It was the same with my P1i, showed the O2 logo at startup and shutdown and had an O2 wallpaper, that was more or less it. Makes you wonder why they bother.

9. Azel

Azel Healing Kids since 1996

Been thinking of getting a new phone and been looking at the HTC Desire and Samsung Galaxy S. Like for like they are very close but i'm leaning towards the Samsung for it's internal memorsize. Anyone used both and got any thoughts on them?

10. latency

latency Existentialist

Depends on your focus on apps really... The desire will take a lot of apps on it's internal storage, but if you want to store a hundred games, you will run out of space.

Personally, as with my previous smart phones, I only keep apps that I'm using, so even on my little wildfire with it's 380MB, I'm not seeing myself having storage issues any time soon. I've got a few games, and several utilities and toys, and 100mb spare- most apps are 3-4MB installed.
    Most apps using major space are clever enough to offload it to the SD card.

11. Abnormal1

Abnormal1 Regular Kustomer

Well I have got a Desire and a guy at work just recently got a Galaxy S and personally I would get the Galaxy S. Its not an easy decision though.

They both have good points and bad, first the galaxy S has a better screen and second it does proper 720p 30fps video. However the Desire has a flash and at least in the uk the Galaxy S only has 2 external buttons instead of the 4 that the desire has(This would bug me now Im use to 4).

Also there is a very common bug with the Galaxy S in that some times app's will freeze for a few seconds at startup, apparently due to some factors related with the internal storage being microSD.

The two big factors for me however is that the Galaxy S just seems to have better battery life compared with the Desire and the Galaxy S has special toughened Glass for the screen whereas the Desire is just standard glass.

12. Azel

Azel Healing Kids since 1996

13. spikeboy4

spikeboy4 Super Kustomer

Just came across an App called Mangler, which is a Ventrilo app for Android and works very, very well.

Not sure if everyone else is as excited by this as I was ^_^

[​IMG]

14. harper*

harper* Gold Member

Best media app on the market - doubletwist player

Syncs with itunes, plays video music and has a photo gallery - absolutely stunning app.

Free atm but that's due to change so dld quick!

15. Rambi

Rambi O Mfn?

I got a HTC Desire about 2 months ago and wouldn't change it/ Amazing phone was never a fan of touch screen phones before.

Currently got it rooted and installed a custom ROM on it and the battery life is fantastic, plus its a bonus to get to use my wiimote for emulators as you cannot do this with a sense based rom.

As for apps most i use have been mentioned here, i use Meebo and XFMobile the most as these let me chat to friends quite easily and as stated 2 posts above mangler is pretty good too.

16. gadget83

gadget83 the guy with the brownies

try out logmein ignition if you have the cash.

its wicked.

17. Mojo

Mojo Crazy Foo'

Downloaded this last weekend and I love it, much better than the standard keyboard!

18. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Loving AMD's new AM1 CPU

Android uses the linux kernel doesnt it? if so i dont see why you couldnt put it on a laptop

19. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

I tried Android on Virtualbox the other day (about 80MB download for Android). Works very well.

20. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire