Must have Adroid apps?

Discussion in 'Technology / Gadget Forum' started by latency, Jul 25, 2010.

Share This Page

1. LSG501

LSG501 You can call me Levi

it's the bada style interface on the homepage that I don't like lol, sometimes it's just really not worth changing things as it doesn't add anything, this is one of those times in my opinion lol At least sense is supposed to be better but samsungs is basically an iphone rip (and I don't like the iphone layout either lol)

2. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

latency

How you finding the phone so far?

I'm thinking of upgrading to an Android mobile in a few weeks ("Three" don't have much of a range on offer atm...)

3. latency

latency Existentialist

I haven't had my number transferred to it yet (wednesday), so I haven't used it in anger.

But having been tinkering with it for a few days, I like Android a lot.

The Phone (HTC Wildfire), is showing it's cheapness though. I went for it because it was a nifty deal (free phone, £20 a month, lots and lots of mins, texts, and 1GB of net).

But, it's not very fast (although still a big step up from my SE P1i), and the screen's resolution is terrible.

Since I'm poor, it's the only thing I can afford though. I'm going to stick with it, because it's small and reasonably expendable, won't have to fear for it all the time.

As a phone, stay away, but as an android phone that's dead cheap, it's bloody good value for money.

4. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

I'm on a budget so i'll probably get stuck with it... lol

I just have to wait to see what offers i get from "Three" and go from there...

5. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

The X10 is nice, but expensive* and still stuck on Android 1.6 I believe. :(

(* £40 p/m, 600 mins, unlimited texts and internet, 18 months on O2 - though I'm sure the same phone/deal could be had cheaper on other networks)

6. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

looks like it's October for the X10 upgrade to 2.1 (They'll get the 2.2 upgrade probably April 2011 at this rate....)

7. latency

latency Existentialist

My Wildfire's on Three, Solitaire- it's an unadvertised deal from the highstreet shops.

As of Saturday, none of the other shops could match it.

I had looked at the X10, but the lack of multi-touch and old version of android was the show stopper for me... even my ickle Wildfire as 2.1, and gets 2.2 3rd quarter.

8. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

oooh!! Hope the offer's still there in 2 weeks when i'm into the last 110 days of my contract (That's when you can start looking at upgrades..)

Will have to go into the shop and have a play with them and see what they are like this weekend...

9. latency

latency Existentialist

Yea, in retrospect, what I should've done was call up my previous network (O2) and said:

"Three are offering me a HTC Wildfire for £20 a month with internet. You can either offer me a HTC Desire for the same money, or give me my PAC code."

And I might've managed to get a desire with a dramatically better screen. Long shot though.

10. harper*

harper* Gold Member

i'd steer clear of the Samsung Galaxy Portal too - also bought as i'm poor :)

it has a fast 800mhz processor but only like 125mb internal memory for storing apps on! this slows down the phone hugely as although I have a 4gb memory card, apps cannot be stored onto the SD card !

So yea go for the Droid X :D

11. six5tring

six5tring Silent Kristian Konsumer

Today I downloaded the cyborg app for my HD2.

[​IMG]click for big pic.

I think a whoops is in order.

six

12. six5tring

six5tring Silent Kristian Konsumer

One drop too many. Having to resurect my old nokia again until the new one arrives. Amazingly the screen both LCD and touch work fine! The glass is slowly falling out though revealing it's guts!

six

13. latency

latency Existentialist

Just found another little gem- TunesRemote

It's a WiFi remote for iTunes, doesn't require any software on the computer, just pairs over WiFi, then you can play/pause/next/previous, select artists, shuffle, volume, and see album artwork.

It's a little buggy, not very well supported, but works just fine on my machine- now I can finally adjust volume and track playing when I'm in the kitchen and not at my desk :)

14. BloomerzUK

BloomerzUK I'm back!

15. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

You mean something like "Prey Project"?
    http://preyproject.com

it's a security location program for PC's and now Andriod mobiles (other Mobile OS's soon)

The Android version is activated by a SMS and sends you back a map of the mobiles current location as well as other bits of info.

It was originally designed for laptops and gives some details reports of what the laptop is using (and who's using it if the laptop has a Webcam)

it's free and handy!

16. Abnormal1

Abnormal1 Regular Kustomer

A couple of usefull apps I use are:

App Protector - This allows you to password protect any app on your phone which for example I use on the Market so that none of my friends purchase anything by accident.

Volume Locker - On my Desire the volume buttons are far to easy to knock in my pocket and since the volume buttons for some reason actually change the ringtone volume I kept missing calls. This is a small app that requires you to confirm any volume change and can be set to only work with certain volume types i.e It ignores volume changes for music player.

Call Track - This logs all calls to a google calendar of your choice.

Home Switcher - For those looking to use an alternative home app (i.e Launcher Pro) this allows easy switching. I used it to switch between HTC Sense and Launcher pro.

RockPlayer - Allows you to play many video formats that default will not.

Also anyone found a decent sky+ app as I have tried a few and have not been impressed?

17. kopite

kopite Super Kustomer

http://beta.swype.com/ Awesome Keyboard replacement that instaed of clicking individual buttons you just swype accross them :D

Handscent sms - Replacement for the stock sms program lots more features and much better looking

Opera mini - Much quicker than the stock browser and a nicer ui altogether.

chrometophone(need to be on 2.* for this) Allows you to send links, Phone numbers, Images and text from your home pc to your phone. Awesome :D

18. Abnormal1

Abnormal1 Regular Kustomer

I use swype and love it. I also tried slideit which is the same but found you have to be much more precise with where you slide too. Hopefully they will update swype soon as does need some tweaks here and there (i.e voice button)

Small note: chrometophone requires froyo 2.2.

19. kopite

kopite Super Kustomer

Ah I thought it said 2.* last time I checked.

I`m running froydvillain on my hero so have 2.2 :)

20. LSG501

LSG501 You can call me Levi

don't quote me here but iirc the apk was ripped and stuck on 2.1, it is a native feature of 2.2 however

and if you don't want to use chrome and you use a decent browser like firefox then you can always get this for it :)