Must have Adroid apps?

Discussion in 'Technology / Gadget Forum' started by latency, Jul 25, 2010.

Share This Page

1. latency

latency Existentialist

So I just got myself a shiny new HTC Wildfire, and I'm getting into android.

Anyone got any awesome apps / widgets to share?

Must be free ones, I'm poor ;)

2. BloomerzUK

BloomerzUK I'm back!

I recently got Samsung Galaxy Portal.. excellent phone and OS.

Apps I recommend:

AppBrain App Market - Better alternative to Android Market
    LauncherPro - This is a different UI, and it makes the phone much more usable. It's the highest rated app on the market
    Astro File Manager - As per name; you can install APK's from it and also search through your SD card
    aTrackDog - App that monitors all other apps to see if there all up-to-date
    3G Watchdog - App that monitors 3G Data usage, you can set it up to show monthly/daily quota
    APN OnOff - As it says on tin. You can turn 3G networking off, leaving 2G only.
    Barcode Scanner - Scans normal barcodes and searches for them online. Good for electronics. Also scans QR codes which links to the marketplace and other links
    Where's My Droid - Excellent app. If you found is on silent and not vibrating and you've lost it. You can text it a keyword from someone else's phone e.g. Where's My Phone? and it will turn itself onto loud and ring for a pre-determined amount of time until you've found it. Used it twice so far!

3. BloomerzUK

BloomerzUK I'm back!

Yeah, that would be an awesome app Forthy. You might be able to get some code from that program above (not sure how though!)

4. BloomerzUK

BloomerzUK I'm back!

5. latency

latency Existentialist

Excellent, got a few good'uns now :)

That WiFi scanner is super awesome- been looking for something like that for my laptop for years :rolleyes:

Thanks chaps!

Ps- any recommendations for music syncing for an iTunes on Mac user?

I don't mind copying some files over by hand, but I'd like to be able to get my iTunes playlists onto my phone as well...

6. LSG501

LSG501 You can call me Levi

Latency - look into doubletwist for music stuff, may overlap with itunes though.

I should be getting a htc desire shortly so what I'll be after is (assuming I don't flash it with defrost as I hate sense with a passion) - note none tested personally but reviews all look positive and I use my phone for business so has more business orientated apps I suppse :)

Links go to webpage/review but most should be in android markets

Apps
    launcher pro
    quickdesk beta
    - think of a quick home page overlay where you can store shortcuts etc without having to minimise your program
    Remotedroid
    Evernote - maybe, depends if I'd use it enough
    GMote
    Astro File manager or similar
    Google goggles or shop savvy
    google skymap
    google maps if not installed
    handcent sms or Chompsms
    Photoshop mobile
    layar reality app
    Advanced Task Killer
    Action Complete (maybe)
    remote rdp (or similar)
    droid analytics
    Send contact
    Bump (never seen anyone use it but just in case)
    Documents to go unless I can find a free alternative :)
    There is an app (can't remember the name though) that stops the phone from going completely silent (ie still has vibrate) - I want that too :)

Widgets
    SwitchPro - the standard android wifi/bt/gps toggle widget but improved :)
    pure calander
    yr.no weather widget
    Audiomanager widget - going to do a custom skin though

There's likely more, including a few games but thats the basic lot :)

7. latency

latency Existentialist

Nice shout on Layar, I'm very interested in augmented reality :)

I stumbled onto doubleTwist, but I don't want to move away from iTunes. I like iTunes ;)

I'm testing TuneSync at the moment, which runs a small server app on your Mac or PC, and then the phone pulls music from it over WiFi, which is groovy, but a little slow.
    The free version is limited to 20-song playlists, but so long as it works okay, I can see myself paying $5 for the full version, and then the music sync thing is solved in one fell blow.

I need to check what HTC Sync for the Wildfire will do though, I hear that HTC's mac support is very good, but it's not out for the Wildfire yet.

8. LSG501

basically as far as I can tell the htc sync app basically syncs outlook, allows apps to be loaded from the pc and tethering I think.

Only like the outlook sync but considering that I don't like sense (it's ugly) and will likely end up removing all trace of it completely if I can (either via apps or via rom) I'm likely moving back to thunderbird from outlook.

9. latency

latency Existentialist

Yea, I like and dislike different bits of HTC Sense.

The standard widgets are a bit too lairy for me- first thing I did was sack the Time and Weather widget from the centre home page- far to big and flashy for the home page.

I like my desktop cleeeeaaan. Put all the fancy stuff on other home pages.

Certainly Sense is better than the stock UI, which is too basic, if I had a Sammy, I'd go straight for Launcher Pro, but I like the little scroll bar at the bottom that shows what home page I'm on, makes it easier to see what I'm doing maybe...

Regarding Syncing, yea... only thing I really want is contact and music syncing. Everything else I use has some kind of cloud access I can set up.

TuneSync is definitely a winner, that worked like a charm, will almost certainly purchase that when I've gotten settled with the phone.

Contacts... well, Apple Address Book can do a mass export into a single vCard file, which Android didn't seem to have trouble with (my SE P1i didn't like vCards with any more than 30 or so contacts in), so I can probably just do a manual update every few weeks when my laptop and phone are getting out of step.

10. LSG501

The thing I don't like about sense is thats just too glossy, it just looks tacky to me, maybe I'm overly picky as I do design and 'web 2.0' has been done to death in my view, but I just think that the simple clean os of stock android is so much nicer. Plus I don't like the curve as to me that just wastes space. The number of pages won't make much difference to me as at present I think I will only need 3 anyways lol.

Apart from the homescreen I love the typographical approach MS have taken, I think it looks clean and modern, although maybe they could have left out the chopped word bit. Apple's iOS looks dated now purely as it hasn't changed and still has all that gloss/reflection on everything

After I've spent a week playing with everything I'll be seeing if theres anything from sense I would truly miss and to be honest I don't think there is going to be much.

I'll be replacing the email, the messaging, the home screen, would prefer the google gallery over sense (still trying to find that for the desire), adding official twitter app and I'll be using widgets that aren't from sense (the only one I vaguely like is the weather one) so there really isn't much need for the bloat from it if I can get rid of it. I do kind of like the dialer searching name via t9 but I doubt I'd use that much anyways.

Launcher pro has started adding widgets into the plus pack and to be honest they look just as bad as sense due to using the 'sense' look to them, why he couldn't have done a nice simple clean/flat look to match the 'menu' at the bottom is beyond me.

As to contacts, well I'll likely sync my phone with office, then use thunderbird to take them from office and hten use that to sync with android along with a calendar etc. I had a few issues with office and imap mail which thunderbird didn't so it might be the way to go long term for me :)

11. six5tring

six5tring Silent Kristian Konsumer

Havn't used sense for Andriod as I've got the HD2 but guessing it's pretty much the same, my favourite part on it is the facebook intergration pulling contact photos and birthdates etc down automatically, love that my contacts pictures change.

I also like being able to quickly get to music and photos.

For messenging I'd be just as happy with a stock solutions, I have twitter and stocks turned off... and the weather app can't find me in Cambridge... anywhere else just not Cambridge!

T9 dialer searching has been standard on all win mob phones I've used for a long time!

six

12. Tom

Tom Merrrrrr

I have a Samsung Galaxy S - RemoteDroid has just made my life awesome.

I'll be winding up countless people in the office with it now. :D

13. LSG501

Tom seeing as you have a galaxy s and it was on my list so to speak (prefer the us versions with 4 buttons though) can you tell me if it can have a different launcher installed? I've read people saying you're stuck with their custom ui

tia

14. latency

latency Existentialist

Looks interesting ;)

Will check it out!

15. Mojo

Mojo Crazy Foo'

Android VNC - Exactly what it sounds like.
    XBMC Remote Control - Again just what it sounds like, perfect if you have a HTPC running XBMC.
    BatteryMinder - gives you more info about battery status.
    Speedometer - Tracks your speed and GPS location and plots it on Google maps. Good wee app if you wanna time your journeys etc, can be used for walking hiking etc too.
    Wheres my Droid - Mentioned before but worth another note as I have already used it twice.
    Advanced Task Killer - Also mentioned before but its pretty good.

3G watch dog seems good but I am dubious about its accuracy. At the moment it says I have used 495 Mb of Data since the 14th July but my usage stats from T-Mobile says its over 840 Mb

16. latency

latency Existentialist

Sounds like it's not counting upstream data, but T-Mobile is...

17. Mojo

Mojo Crazy Foo'

Nope that's up and down transmitted, up data only totals about 23 Mb.

18. latency

latency Existentialist

Ah yea... just downloaded it to have a look.

I did notice that it came with a warning saying that it didn't work on Samsung.

Will have to see how it fares next week when I start using the phone properly...

19. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

Radiant (Radiant Lite is free) is a rather good Space Invaders clone/remake. Great fun.

You can see how practical my knowledge of droid apps is. :)

Though saying that, JuicePlotter is pretty good, lets you monitor your battery status, gives you an estimated charge time etc which is useful as most droid phones are capable of draining their battery in less than a day if you're not careful.

20. Tom

Tom Merrrrrr

Sadly I haven't installed one. I'm quite happy with the UI in fairness.

I will point out that you can organise the icons in a vertical-scrolling icon-menu, a-la a basic Android/HTC Sense installation, as opposed to the iPhone-esque menus of the default Galaxy S design.