mountain biking

Discussion in 'Cars / Bikes' started by mr-white, Feb 26, 2005.

Share This Page

1. mr-white

mr-white propane cooled

anyone here into it ?

since the summer when i picked up a new bike, ive been going out and about trying to find places to go. As i live in northampton have mainly been going to surrounding places. have been to irchester country park, pitsford reservoir, sherwood pines and next week cannoc chase. anyone reccommend good places to bike ?

MW

2. Big Adam

Big Adam Super Moderator

Moved to Cars / Bikes :cool:

3. Graeme*Kustom*

Graeme*Kustom* Administrator

I'm waiting for the warmer weather... ;)

4. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

MTB'er here, when I get the time. Myself and a friend are pencilling in some dates to take a trip to the 'chase to try out some of the new trails they're building over there.

He's importing all the bits to build a Turner 5-spot at the moment, so he's looking for somewhere to shake it down I think ;). Can't wait for it to turn up, because it means I'm having his Marin RS.

At the moment I've got a Merlin Malt 1 hard-tail with a few little tweaks (put it onto 1.9 Panaracers) which I'm really chuffed with but fancy a move to a full susser soon.

What you riding?

Went out for a great few blasts in Norfolk a few weeks ago, and also 'round Woburn Sands in Milton Keynes once with my aforementioned colleague. Don't get out as much as I'd like but enjoy it all the more when I do :)

5. THE BEAST

THE BEAST Registered Trader

I bought a Specialized Bighit DH in August 2003 and within two weeks had broken a collar bone+4 ribs, bruised heart area, twisted ankle+wrist and deep cuts to right leg+head....Took a long time to get my confidence back but can say I am still a freerider lol :D

Been riding since 95 btw

6. betty02

betty02 Chaving Chavs

I USED 2 bmx THEN WENT TO TRIALS AND THE BACK TO b

7. Blue Raptor

Blue Raptor Regular Kustomer

you will like this then made by my self and a mate over the summer

I ride a cannondale chase 2 pictured below, now has hope mono M4's all round

Attached Files:

8. PuppetMaster

PuppetMaster Komputerised Guitarist

I used to do it loads - over summer and towards the end of the year. But the weather has been so crap lately, and I used to be able to do it at school but the guy left, so it's all gone to pot for me :(

I've got a MuddyFox Sussed-Rage.

9. betty02

betty02 Chaving Chavs

blue raptor you need to get yourself a set of maguras.lol

10. six5tring

six5tring Silent Kristian Konsumer

well i just go everywhere on me ol claud butler (stone river)!.. had two(!!) pinched from work so since hadn't put a lots $ into biking.. gone into music and PC's instead! although insurance covers most still have to pay first £50 of claims.

six

11. mr-white

mr-white propane cooled

ive got a 2002 marin rock springs, with a few little mods as ive only just got into it lately so im still a n00bie :D

MW

12. THE BEAST

I got a perfect Marin downhill sitting ontop my wardrobe right now....good bikes

13. Cod Ball

Cod Ball odd ball

Well I got into it in the summer really because i was with my cousin who's pretty good at it and then i bought a cheap bike that broke easilly then i bought another cheap bike which also broke. Now i can't be bothered to save enough money for a nice bike so i dont usually go biking although it's pretty fun and maybe someday i'll have enough money for a nice bike that doesnt break :D.

14. mr-white

mr-white propane cooled

i was only planning on buying a fairly cheap bike but looked around and spoke to a few people and they said cheap bikes are nasty. so i bought a marin, was a lot of money but an awesome bike

MW

15. THE BEAST

My first proper mountain bike was a Specialized hardrock in 94 and it was cheap but when I bent my Trek 8000shx and the frame went back to the States I put the parts on the Specialized hardrock and it turned into a wicked little bike.

I reckomend to those starting out to buy a bike with a good frame and crap parts and replace those parts with better kit as and when they fail.

16. Fat Jez

Fat Jez Master of the High Five!

Any recommendations for a good frame then? I bought a Saracen a few years back and it has been crap frankly. The bottom bracket failed on the first one I had, which was replaced, only for it to fail again. The gears cannot be adjusted so that the chain does not rattle against the de Railleurs and frankly I have had enough of it.

Cheers,
    Stephen

17. mr-white

mr-white propane cooled

ive had new magnesium DMR v12 pedals and a shimano XT chainset put on mine along with a new bottom bracket. i can now really notice the difference. also had to have the shocks serviced because the previous owner was a muppet and treated it badly

MW

18. Fat Jez

Fat Jez Master of the High Five!

I wonder if it would be worth my getting the chainset replaced then? The basic frame is pretty light so it may be worth doing it up. I hate to see it rusting in my shed (apart from the frame being aluminium and therefore not rusting).

Cheers,
    Stephen

19. mr-white

mr-white propane cooled

i replaced mine because the current one was badly scratched and the bearings were crunching, so i just replaced the lot. if you dont know what your doing just take it to a bike shop. i bought the chainset and pedals separately so they only charged me £29.99 for the bottom bracket and £10 labour to replace the chainsets.

MW

20. JADS

JADS Lightning strikes!

I have a Marin Rocky Ridge circa 1997, and it is still going strong :) It is a proper fully rigid bike tweaked for XC performance, i.e. it is twitchy, nimble and fast.

I'm no good at tricks, so I just tend to enjoy riding especially single-track. Not riding much at the moment due to lack of time and weather.