Mobile dying...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Samsonite, Oct 22, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

This is a bit painful for me to post (i.e. annoying) but due to the infinite wisdom of the wife, after paying for mobile insurance for over a year, she told me I should stop paying for it as it's a waste of money. So within a month or so of not having insurance, the phone's WiFi stopped working completely (tried everything Google can suggest - seems to be a hardware fault) and now the battery seems to have given up and only lasts for a few hours (even with almost all things switched off and nothing running).

So basically the phone is a lemon now.

The question is, are there any good options for a duff phone with 6 months left on the contract? It was a 24 month contract because it was originally my work phone (we had to get our own contracts and claim the cost back), but I left my job a year in so was stuck with it. So the phone is 18 months old which makes me think it is outside of the usual 1 year warranty.

Pretty annoyed - I have told the wife that I will take it to the shop and it may cost hundreds to get it fixed or replaced - i.e. a lot more than the insurance!

2. FinlandsForsh

FinlandsForsh ChrisForsh

what phone is it, there usualy is some parts on ebay to fix it, either a wifi board or something
    it could also be a software fault

3. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

First off do the basics and check the warranty. Some manufacturers do offer 2 year warranties; you may be covered against hardware faults anyway.

Second if you've got any of the 'premium' bank accounts on offer by pretty much every high street bank, check your paperwork, a lot of them include gadget insurance. I only had to pay a £25 excess to get the shattered screen on my Xperia Z replaced a few weeks back.

Third ask your mobile provider. I have had them replace phones out of warranty in the past. Though that's possibly because I went through 4 of the same phone in 14 months...but anyway sending an email doesn't hurt.

Worst case even if it was a top end £400 phone 18 months ago it might not be worth quite as much as you think now. Even if it is, you might want to replace it with a cheaper new phone of similar specification (e.g. Moto G 4G) rather than scouring eBay for a used one like your current phone; then when your 24 months is up go on a SIM only contract (or flog it, or keep it as a spare, whatever).

4. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

Thanks for the responses guys, it is an HTC One - I think I will just go to the local EE shop (which recently opened) as I bought it from EE in London - see what they say.

Regarding premium bank accounts - I did have one and this was what the missus wanted me to shut down - she thought it bonkers to pay for a bank account. Turns out that we lost my phone insurance and car breakdown cover - car battery died and phone WiFi died within the month! Poetic justice? Luckily on the car front, my local Ford dealer sent out a mechanic on a Sunday morning free of charge! Hope I have as much luck with the mobile!

On a related note. My work just got me an LG G3 which I am loving. I kind of want to swap SIM with my personal phone. One annoyance is that as soon as I put my work email into the G3, the security policy took over and disable all cool methods of unlocking the phone other than numeric PIN! Really having a bad mobile month!