Minimum requirement for HTCP

Discussion in 'Home Theatre Computing' started by Azel, Apr 20, 2010.

Share This Page

1. Azel

Azel Healing Kids since 1996

Hi all,

i'm thinking of building a HTCP for playing divx/xvid, some internet browsing and possibly blu ray playing.

Cleared a room out recently and found some old computer stuff I thought I could salvage for use in the computer.

Found I have a still working MSI KT4 Ultra (MS-6590) and Rad 9700 Pro AGP and the CPU still on the board is a AthlonXP 2400+. Looking at the MSI site this board can take up to a AthlonXp 3000+.

Having looked on google etc I think Blu Ray is a no no but would this be ok divx/xvid playing and internet browsing?

Or should I just look at an i3/i5 setup as I will probably look at adding a Blu Ray player?

I would appreciate any input :D

2. LSG501

LSG501 You can call me Levi

Just get win 7 and a gpu capable of blu ray playback and jobs done in theory.

I can play h264 720p (hard drive) without any gpu acceleration on an x2 4200+ at stock in win7 x64, it does push the cpu's a bit though.

3. Fat Jez

Fat Jez Master of the High Five!

You don't need a high end CPU to playback blu-ray. You can do it on the Intel Atom/nVidia Ion based systems, providing the system offloads the decoding to the graphics card. The important thing for BD playback is the need for HDCP on graphics card and monitor (which means you need a monitor that uses HDMI or DVI).

For playing back DIVX or Xvid, the components you have should be fine.

4. Vicey

Vicey Regular Kustomer

Quoted for Truth.

In my opinion the best setup for a Media Centre PC is one of the following:

Atom CPU + Ion NVIDIA Chipset/Graphics with HDMI output (supporting HDCP)
    OR
    AMD Dual Core Athlon II (based on Phenom II core) with an AMD/ATi chipset with integrated graphics.

Both of these are very affordable and will handle most content including Blurays, High Definition rips (think 12-20GB in size h.264 encodes) and everything below including HD flash video, Divx, Xvid etc

There really is no reason to go i3, i5 or i7 for a Media Centre. It just wastes money and electricity.

5. Azel

Azel Healing Kids since 1996

Thank you all for the invaluable advice you have given me. Definately something for me to think about.

I'm seriously leaning towards vicey advice but may start off with what I have at the moment then upgrade later in the year.

Many thank once again.

Now to look at putting a new harddrive in my sky hd box :)