Microsoft says possible end of HD DVD won't impact Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Gaming News' started by Fireblade, Feb 19, 2008.

Share This Page

1. Fireblade

Fireblade Mental Modder[ator]!!

If there's anybody other than me who's at all interested... read the full article on BetaNews :D

2. Tom

Tom Merrrrrr

It'd actually be in their best interests to distribute games on a [mostly] unsupported platform.. Much like Sega's GD-ROM, as used in the Dreamcast.

Anything that makes it harder to pirate, right? :rolleyes:

3. BloomerzUK

BloomerzUK I'm back!

It obviously will effect it.

4. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

why? xbox360 does not use HD-DVD at all.
    the HD-DVD drive was simply an add-on device that allowed you to watch HD-DVD movies that you had bought.

it won't affect xbox360 gaming in any way.

5. ArTizan

ArTizan Member of the Month

They have previously mentioned that if Blu-ray wins they will look at launching a Blu-ray add on drive.

6. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

they should forget about the add-on drives and just have a built-in drive (whichever one they want to choose going forward)

7. Joesph

Joesph Krazy About Kustom

Of course it will have some sort of impact on the 360 because to a lot of people the PS3 now suddenly looks more appealing. It might not have a huge knock on effect but to say there will be none at all is a bit presumptuous.

8. Fat Jez

Fat Jez Master of the High Five!

I don't think it looks any more appealing now than it did before. The Xbox still outsold the PS3 last Christmas (hell, the PS2 outsold the PS3 last Christmas).

People generally buy a console to play games, every sale of the PS3 only for the purpose of watching movies hurts Sony, since they make them at a loss.

Cheers,
    Stephen

9. Joesph

To be fair though, it wouldn't look more appealing to you because you really dislike Sony. :) The PS3 has hit the 10 million mark, it outsold the 360 last month and this year is going to be really good for them game wise and now this. It just seems too early to judge whether or not it will have an affect on 360's marketplace.

10. Fat Jez

There's a PS2 in my AV rack at home, your point is? I'm not a big fan of MS either, for that matter, but I still own an Xbox.

My point, is that I don't think the fact that the PS3 having a BD drive is a more significant threat to the Xbox, as it hasn't been thus far. The majority of people buy a console to play games, not watch movies.

Cheers,
    Stephen

11. Joesph

Oh cool - you have a PS2, I thought you "wouldn't touch anything Sony make with a barge pole". I guess you could be right, more people do buy consoles to play games but seeing as the PS3 does both I think it could be a threat, time will tell I guess.

12. Sub

Sub The cake is a lie!!

true people buy consoles to play games but an out-of-the-box high def movie without-an-addon player is a big tick in a very big box to be honest. bluray players cost enough as it is. i was about as against the ps3 as you could get, then i sorta bought one and kinda love it. i think to say it won't affect xbox at all is silly, it will effect them in the long run unless they bring out a bluray drive, in which case.. problem solved.. well i say problem solved, they need to bring out HDMI adapters for the older consoles since vga SUCKS compared to hdmi/dvi... yes i know the new premium/elite ones already have it.. but i don't have one of those do i? nor do alot of earlier buyers

13. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

dunno about others, but i don't want a fugly xbox360 or ps3 sitting under my TV.
    if i was to get an HD player i would get one that fitted in better with my setup.

besides, downloadable content is the way to go. physical media is soooo last year :D

14. nicky munchkin

nicky munchkin Nick is not responding...

If BT and Virgin pull their finger out their ass.

15. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

i've got AppleTV, so i'm already half-way there.

16. Mojo

Mojo Crazy Foo'

Already exists, don't have a link but I'm sure Google will bring up some information, also MS denied that they will bring out a BD add-on a few weeks back. Though with the way HD DVD is dying it wouldn't suprise me if they did eventually.

17. Fireblade

Fireblade Mental Modder[ator]!!

Indeed :cool:

However... compare its asking price of US$49.99 on there ^^... to how much it costs in the UK (£34.99 = US$70) :rolleyes:

18. Fat Jez

You can use any old HDMI cable with the xbox, it doesn't have to be the MS one. I've yet to find a need for the audio adapator included as well, as I seem to be getting surround sound without using optical out.

Cheers,
    Stephen