microsoft publisher or web expression?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by niteowl, Oct 15, 2013.

Share This Page

1. niteowl

niteowl New Member

Hi im wanting to do a new website, got a basic one up programmed using microsoft frontpage but its only a one page site and I need it updated ect

Which is best to use microsoft publisher or expression? when i say best i do of course mean easiest out of the 2 with the best options ect

I did want an incredible animimated flash home page, but was told to forget it basically as most people these days view web sites via tablets or phones and flash web sites dont work very well on these such devices.

I know there are better options available such as programing a site via dreamweaver ect but this would take months if not years to learn and study ect, and i want to do a site via microsoft publisher or expression as im familair with theses programs due to using frontpage in the past.

Can a good site be built using publisher or expression?

And if so has anyone done a website using publisher or expression that i could have a look at? could you put up a link please?

Tried using wix but they only allow for sites that scroll horizontally and I want mine to scroll down wards with down wards scroll bars

2. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Hi, I wouldn't use any programs other than for prototyping what the website would look like. I'm guessing you won't be able to write this by hand? Why not consider a CMS you can put a theme over?

3. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

the only application you need is notepad.exe

4. niteowl

niteowl New Member

Hi thanks for reply cosmo-1847 but I havent a clue what is meant by CMS ! googled it and it seems to be flash websites templates!
    Problem of course is once we pay and down load the flash template, what on earth do we do with them? what program do we use to open the files? how do we publish them over our existing web site ect? or even find out if its compatible with microsoft estentions which ive got installed on the website ive got up!

Havent a clue, its all to complicated!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused:

Im really not sure why everyone is so against microsoft expresion or publisher, ive just looked on u tube for some tutorials and there are some FANTASTIC and INCREDIBLE web sites done using expression web 3 :)

I cant wait any longer, ive spent weeks and weeks trying to get a new website up and there so many different sites offering website builders, its a minefield out there !
    Im going to buy microsoft expression 3 or publisher off e-bay and do a site myself from scratch!

Before i fork out a lot of money, can some one please tell me if they have used microsoft expression and is it easy to use ? , is it exactlly the same as frontpage to use?
    Or is expression very complicated ?

5. niteowl

niteowl New Member

Hi just noticed your post Chenks what is notepad.exe?

6. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

He means notepad and just write the code out. By CMS I meant something like Wordpress, not anything flash based.

What kinda website are you trying to make? Is it personal, your learning or business?

7. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

expression web is free from the MS website.

publisher is a DTP application and is totally not appropriate for any sort of web design.

8. niteowl

niteowl New Member

Thanks for the tip chenks, do you have a direct link to the exact place were i can download microsoft expression please ? ive had a look on microsofts website and can only see downloads for office 2010 ect but no website programs.
    Ive had a little look at expression on u-tube, its looks complicated and different to frontpage!

9. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

simply do a google search for "expression web". the download link is the second result!

10. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

I take it you have no budget for software / developer?

11. niteowl

niteowl New Member

Ive got a small budget, I dont mind buying expression, but id like to make sure I can use it first before buying hense why im asking for advice to see if its easy to use.

I wouldnt mind paying someone to do me a website, at a reasonable price but ive been quoted £30 - £70 per hour, which could run into many hundreds if not thousands of pounds!

Got a link here for expression web download
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36179

Says its a free trial version, before I download as i havent much internet data per month, is this a full and proper version that i can program a site on and then publish to the web ?

As it says in the system requirements -

"Internet functionality requires Internet access (additional fees may apply)"
    I assume then its not actually FREE as to publish your site using this download may incur fees?

May as well just buy the full version of e-bay!

12. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

wait wait wait. It's saying that the product needs access to the internet which is not included in the cost. What it means is you need internet / broadband and you'll have to pay for that. The software itself is free.

13. niteowl

niteowl New Member

Oh right thanks for that cosmo_1847 much appreciated! its free after all ! :)

To be honest, ive just about gave up! :(

Its all so much hassle, my eyes are so strained now, been on the net for days and days trying to sort out a new site!

Will try and down load it next few days and see if I can use it or not, wish I could just locate someone honest who could help me out and do me a site cheaply!
    I only want a basic set up with a nice home page and 4 buttons on the top with each botton navigating to a new page, one page being a gallery which I can upload some pics.

I will be back soon!

14. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Do you want to edit the website via the front of back end? Front end is you got to the admin section of the site and add images or edit pages. Back end is you having to upload new pages / changes via FTP.

15. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

it doesn't say free TRIAL, it says free VERSION.

16. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

17. Flanker

Flanker Celtic Warrior

CMS = Content Management System

I use PHP-Fusion for my site, PHP-Fusion is free and easier to use than others like, joomla or php-nuke etc..

With most CMS, you can add what you like or keep it simple, like add forums, video libraries, picture libraries, uploads, downloads, articles, etc, etc..

You can decide what it looks like by uploading and using themes.

If you would like to see what a PHP-Fusion site looks like, you can visit either of mine...

Our Gaming website... http://cwgaming.net/cwgs/news.php

My personal website... http://cwgaming.net/Flanker/news.php

Both these sites use PHP-Fusion CMS - Available free from .. http://www.php-fusion.co.uk/news.php

Hope that helped..