Microsoft finally pulls plug on HD DVD add-on players!

Discussion in 'Tech News' started by Fireblade, Feb 25, 2008.

Share This Page

1. Fireblade

Fireblade Mental Modder[ator]!!

Source: Yahoo News.

I expected it sooner or later, but I must admit to thinking it would be a while yet?

2. BudoBob

BudoBob Regular Kustomer

Like rats off a sinking ship!
    As the format was is all but over it isn't suprising manufacturers are switching sooner rater than later. Why make a product when noone will use/buy it?

3. Fat Jez

Fat Jez Master of the High Five!

Personally, I think HD-DVD still has a future in the PC market, not as a video format but as one for storing data. Microsoft could also conceivably use it on their next console storing game data, since it doesn't really matter what format is used there.

Time will tell.

Cheers,
    Stephen

4. Tom

Tom Merrrrrr

I agree.

And I also thought they'd jump at the chance to use a largely unsupported standard. It'd cut down on casual piracy, after-all.

5. BudoBob

BudoBob Regular Kustomer

I will not dispute there may be a niche market for HD-DVD and it's technology will probably find its way into other developments maybe even Blueray itself.

Those who have already bought into HD-DVD will cause a small delay in the demise of the format as the only HD format for films but the demand for optical drive / HD-DVD players will deminish very quickly.

To compete with the PS3 with built in Blueray, I don't think it will be long before Microsoft release a Blueray drive for the Xbox. I suspect they will attempt to clear as much of their stock of HD players as they can before making such an anouncement.

6. Fireblade

There are conflicting reports on whether they will/won't?
    Articles I read only last week, suggested they were considering one.
    But the headline on this more recent one (22nd February), states "Microsoft says 'no' to Xbox Blu-Ray":

:confused:

7. Fireblade

Xbox 360 not adopting Blu-Ray?

Source: AfterDawn.

Hmmnnn... I guess we'll just have to wait for a more official announcement, 'coz I'm sure I read elsewhere recently, that they might still be going ahead with one?

8. Sub

Sub The cake is a lie!!

anyone after a quick buck.. the hd-dvd add-on players sunk from 100 quid to like 40.. spotted one in gamestation for £39.99 new... madness