Mechwarrior Online

Discussion in 'Games !!!' started by brumster, Jul 5, 2013.

Share This Page

1. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

It's been a long time since I played much online gaming on the PC; most of my time has gone towards XBOX now... but I must admit the console market seems to have gone a bit stale now, with less titles wetting my apetite.

Now I was a great fan of the old Mechwarrior series on the PC all the way back to the first game, so spotted this and have decided to give it a try. It's free to play but as usual, if you want to progress quickly you can spend your real-world dollars on in-game extras.

Anyone playing it?

I quite like it. It's a nice change to the usual FPS in that it's a bit less focused on whoever can run round and shoot the quickest, and a bit more tactical/team based.

Mechwarrior officionados will jump (or should that be drop[ship]...) right into it and feel comfortable and to be honest the gameplay hasn't moved on a massive amount over the years. It's pretty enough (Cryengine 3 based) and plays OK, although the current limit of 8 vs 8 would be nice to increase up to 12v12 or maybe even 16v16 with some appropriately large maps.

Not sure how long it will keep my interest but I've been with it for a couple of weeks now and not felt the urge to ditch it.

https://mwomercs.com/game

2. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

12v12 now implemented. They've tweaked it over time, not sure they've really improved it much, but it's holding my attention. They do have a tendency to tweak the weapons balances, and introduce new mech packages, after you've made a conscious decision to invest in a certain weapon type of mech design - and stuff up your plans - but they would argue it's in the interest of balanced play.

Just working on unlocking my proficiences...

3. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

...and I'm done. For a good 6 months, at least, then I might try it again just in case.

Boy, that game has been on a rollercoaster over the last 12 months. It's in a real bad state commerically, I think, really suffering from a tonne of bad online feedback (and not all of it justified, imo). However the game has got quite frustrating, even to me, so I've decided to vote with my feet and drop it for a while. Not giving up on it necessarily, I just think if I stay playing the frustration will just make it worse, so time for a timeout.

Other developers working on MMO (not entirely sure MWO qualifies as a MMO really, but...) should really take a look at the MWO story and learn from it. For me, I'm just glad I haven't invested heavily in it financially (put about £40 credit into it, most of which is still in there unused). A very long running closed beta/open beta stage, some balance changes that have really affected the gameplay and approach players take, and probably the worst aspect - the communication (or lack of accuracy to what they did communicate) has really hurt the poor old developers.

Hope they get it sorted because it really could be an awesome game. But for now, I'm simply bored and not enjoying it.

4. Moldiver

Moldiver The Snake To Your Solid

Tried it and did like it but never jumped in much after my inital go.