Looking for a new case

Discussion in 'Home Theatre Computing' started by jameson_uk, Dec 31, 2007.

Share This Page

1. jameson_uk

jameson_uk Super Kustomer

I am looking to upgrade my existing HTPC rig to incorporate bluray / HD DVD now that you can pick up a sensibly priced combi-drive. Problem is the case.

I want something that has
    • 2 x 5.25" drives
    • LCD / VFD display
    • 120mm rear fan
    • looks nice :) tbh size is not actually too important and something that looks like a hifi seperates unit would do me well
    • integrated MCE receiver would be nice but I can live with the external one

Problem is I can only find cases that either have space for one optical drive or have two annoying 60mm fans on the back.

(incase anyone is wondering why the 120mm obsesion then basically I am going to move my main rig into the HTPC box so ideally I want to keep the passive HR01 cooler but that means I need a 120mm exhaust)

2. LSG501

LSG501 You can call me Levi

Damn I really wanted to suggest this one but it only has one optical bay (not sure why you want a second drive with a combi?)

And again this silverstone is the same - 1 optical bay

I don't actually know of any htpc case with 2 optical drives and a 120mm rear fan which is a bit odd when you think about it being quite a logical approach for some people :confused:

3. jameson_uk

just been drooling over this myself... does look nice but is a little on the steep side :eek:

The plan is to only have one PC and use the TV as a monitor hence the second drive is more for standard PC use rather than HTPC. (that said I guess I could just get a USB DVD for when I need it...)

yep been checking out that one too :D

I think it is a size thing. The ones with have 120mm fans tend to be huge (the first one you mention only has a 120mm as there is enough space given the amount needed for the 12" TFT)

I guess I could just get myself a new cooler but I am really happy with this one and don't really want to waste another £40 for the sake of it

4. LSG501

second drive - well if its for more pc stuff most of the new combi drives have a built in cd/dvd burners now too :)

Personally I'm waiting on the omaura range (the tf11) before buying/sorting out a htpc as they have some very nice add on bits (fold out 12" display plus a nas and amp coming soon too) and theyre all in a nice stackable style :D

Although I keep looking at the origen as they look lovely but then the price in my view is a little steep for my needs in comparison to the omaura which with it being modular can be added to over time :D

EDIT: not out yet but what about this lian li although it does look like it might be a little too short in height

5. jameson_uk

I don't suppose it makes that much difference any more I just have always had two optical drives so allow me to copy stuff disc to disc easier.

It does look nice but is only uATX which is a shame

6. LSG501

Not the tf11 - thats full atx, even though it will only hold a matx in my case but it gives full height cards :)

7. jameson_uk

oh yeah that is not listed on their site (even though the UK distributor does actually have them on sale, if not in stock)

Actually started me thinking that the TF5 and the HDD case might actually make for a new case for my mini-itx server. Been looking for something that would take 5 drives. Might look in to that as well. More money :D

8. LSG501

if you go to their forums you can find a few images of it (its not quite out yet :rolleyes:)

well the nas (and amp) that omaura will be bringing out are the same size as the tf5 (look on you tube for video's) and if the nas is suitable I may end up getting it as my media store instead of a thecus but I've got time.

9. WTF_Shelley

WTF_Shelley The Chav Slayer