Laptop cpu seems to be running hot in use

Discussion in 'Cooling / Overclocking' started by dekadeka, Dec 2, 2014.

Share This Page

1. dekadeka

dekadeka Regular Kustomer

38 degrees idle and about 45 in firefox or watching a flash video which doesnt seem bad but when the graphics card is idling at 35 degrees and even at ultra on warcrack at 1080p goes no higher then 65(60 most of the time) yet the cpu goes to 70 degrees playing a PS1 game at 720p!(had it plugged into a 720p tv whilst in a hotel)

I know laptop cooling is limited, I wonder if the rpm of the fan is that high as it almost sounds near silent

2. Bryanese

Bryanese Tasted LAN and liked it.

Sounds about right. On your modern game, most of the work is being done by the GPU but for the PS1 game, it's being run almost exclusively by the CPU. Even though you're playing a 'game', the graphics card won't be doing much to process any video output for the PS1 emulator.

3. dekadeka

dekadeka Regular Kustomer

Could be, just seems mad my cpu runs cooler playing a modern game then a emulated old game, and my dual core old laptop has a high idle temp but it only increases a few degrees when running a emulator.

Its a 4700HQ by the way, 12 gigs ram in system and windows 8.1, fully defragmentned with diskeeper, 256gb ssd with windows, 1tb 2nd drive for games, and a 1tb usb3 western digital for the isos.

The other reason I ask is I saw a teardown video of the laptop online and the cpu has a tiny layer of paste covering only half the cpu so I wondered if its transferring enough and my other older laptop I removed the cover and put own paste on(which helped temps especially the gpu) and when the gpu is like 45 idle the cpu is 38-40 idle so in other words whenever the cpu temps go up the gpu ones go down a little(unless both are in use by the game or thing I am using)

4. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

With a 47W TDP it's a pretty beasty processor for a laptop, so I'm not surprised it's getting hot. That said it's also rated for 100 degrees C so bearing that in mind even 70 degrees isn't too bad.

I tend to find the thermal paste used on laptops is rubbish and dries up quickly. I've got a Dell I'm sorting for someone at the moment that shuts down after about 5 minutes of doing nothing in particular - because the paste is shagged. It might not be an issue on yours as it's a newer machine, but if you're confident taking it apart and are bored one afternoon it might be worth cleaning it off and popping some AS5 or similar on it instead.