job reference rant

Discussion in 'Rant forum' started by Chenks, Feb 2, 2012.

Share This Page

1. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

What it is with companies these days and reference policies.

Just checked with my last 2 employers and have had the response that they now have strict reference policies in that they don't give any.

My last manager says they got supplied a strict guideline saying they weren't allowed to give references and that all they would be allowed to say is that I worked for them and in what position and that was all.

Employer before that says they have an even stricter policy that only allows them to say that they know me but not allowed to say anything else!

With job applications always requiring references (and preferable from previous or recent employer), how the hell are you supposed to be able to comply when employers have such strict guidelines.

2. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

nah, i know the guys who are the references, I emailed them first to check it was OK to use them and it was then they advised of the new policies that HR had given out to all managers.

apparently the policy (in one of the previous places) has been put in place due to something going wrong when they did provide a reference previously.

this is from my 2 previous employers, most recent being there for 9 years, and the previous my ex-boss who works for someone else now as the company we worked for no longer exists.

3. Koolpc

Koolpc Not From Earth

Any future emplyers will know the score so dont worry

4. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

which makes you wonder why even bother asking for them when companies now have policies that won't give them.

5. burgi

burgi That'll be me

This really sucks, doesn't it?

Modern companies don't give a monkey's about people who don't work for them anymore. Providing a reference could leave them open to being sued for negligent misstatement so it's safer if they have a policy of not giving references.

Heaven forbid that they might be reasonable and treat former employees like human beings. :rolleyes:

6. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

I gave up putting any references to "previous employer references" on my CV and applications ages ago!

Also if they are older than 3 years it tends to look worse than having no references at all.

If they want me for a job then they will offer me a job with or without references.

last couple of job interviews I had I left the references part of the application blank, They never asked me anything other than why I left my last employer. (was due to cutbacks.)

7. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

guess that puts me in a catch 22 kinda situation.
    been 9 years with the company, and now they have a policy of no references other than saying yes he worked here in this role. funnily enough when i started with them they wanted references!

i guess if they ask then all i can say is this is the reference and they have this policy.

8. burgi

burgi That'll be me

What saves you is that you were there for 9 years. Bad staff don't last 9 years. Any prospective employer knows that.

9. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

Their might be a legal issue here!

If i remember correctly i was told by my boss at the time (sometime in 2000) that if the ex-employer said anything other than "The person worked here for so long and held this post." They was a worry that they may fall foul of the data protection act as well as open themselves for legal action by the ex-employee claiming their reference cost them a job.

Stupid i know, but think there was a few companies on the late '90s taken to an industrial tribunal for supposedly giving out dodgy false references when asked by companies in the same area of business.

10. burgi

burgi That'll be me

Yeah, it's called negligent misstatement and I mentioned it a few posts back.

11. Koolpc

Koolpc Not From Earth

I wouldnt worry about it as if that is going to be the norm then any prospective employer is going to know what every reference is going to say!!

12. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

This has become common - I found the same thing a few years ago where the employer refused "references" while I still worked there (so people thought it was a way to stop people leaving). I believe by law they have to confirm if you worked there at the very least and if/when a prospective employer phones up, the company will/should say that it is policy not to give references. It is also illegal to give bad references unless there is evidence to prove the bad reference in which case facts have to be stated and backed up. Otherwise you can sue for libel.

Majority of references only want proof that you did do the job(s) you have stated, so it shouldn't have too much impact. You can even put on your CV that the company don't provide references but can confirm employment history.