Is hating your boss a cliché?

Discussion in 'Rant forum' started by Bryanese, Aug 16, 2012.

Share This Page

1. Bryanese

Bryanese Tasted LAN and liked it.

The other day in work my phone was taken from me by my boss, along with every one else's, and crammed into a till for 'safe keeping' - basically to stop them from checking Facespace.

As a result my phone, my lovely and precious Galaxy SII, has a massive score down its screen due to there being plenty of loose change in the drawer. Later that evening I sent my boss a rather strongly-worded text to convey my displeasure only to be reprimanded the following morning for my bad attitude.

While I appreciate that I was a little out of order with her, her crying over being so upset after reading my message forced me to apologise for my behavior and basically forgive her at the time but thinking about it now, I realise that she didn't actually apologise and now I'm angrier than ever. Something I'm forever commenting on is her ability to be incredibly manipulative and I was sucked right in.

I know that there's sweet **** all I can do about it now but every time I so much as look at my phone I'm reminded of its hideous imperfection, the reason it came to be there, and my just taking it. Any advice?

2. latency

latency Existentialist

Boss does not have permission to confiscate your property- what is this, school?

If you're not allowed to use your phone at work, you should've been advised to leave it at home or with your other belongings. That is a reasonable request, which if you refused, they could follow up on disciplinary procedures.

However, because they were confiscated, the phones became her responsibility, and as such she's at fault here.

Don't be guilt tripped by a boss- if they can't take the heat of responsibility, they're in the wrong job.

Since it's scratched and not broken, you can't really force her / the company to do anything about it without looking like a ****- all you can do is state your displeasure and ensure you phone isn't confiscated again.

But if you do dislike her, then I'd handle it by saying words to the effect of,

“I'm sorry if I initially came across a bit strong, however, the fact remains that my phone has been defaced by your act of confiscating it and storing it in an un-padded tray with a pile of shrapnel. It's going to cost X to get it fixed, and I think you or the company should pitch in on the repair bill.”

3. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

That.

Chances are you're not allowed to use it at work (goes without saying generally). But from your post it sounds more like this was a blanket 'rule' to stop everyone from using it. I expect that at some point somebody has been moaned at or disciplined for using it and cried 'Well X does it so why can't I and why don't you punish him/her as well?'.

Confiscation is the cowards way out of this situation if they can't be bothered or don't want to use the company's disciplinary procedures on everyone.

4. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

Who is above your boss? If there is someone, it may be worth calmly mentioning your issues with them? In most cases there is someone you can go to.

To some extent you have to maintain the moral high-ground - appearing rash may cancel out the original action. However, as the wrong action was performed by your boss - they will always be guilty of cause & effect - i.e. you would have not been so displeased had you not been given cause.