IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL - I hate this computer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by marbleapple, Jul 5, 2005.

Share This Page

1. Sparky__H

Sparky__H Registered Trader

was it a USB ADSL modem by any chance?

2. marbleapple

marbleapple New Member

morning sparky....

I have connection to blueyonder broadband having recently swapped from ntl. I had problems with both.

At present though I am connecting to it though a wireless router

3. Abnormal1

Abnormal1 Regular Kustomer

As it was not mentioned I was wondering whether you ever reintstalled windows.

As I used to get this error after playing halflife and occasionly at boot. However after reinstalling it went away.

Abnormal1

4. marbleapple

marbleapple New Member

Yes i have reinstalled windows numerous times.... I even bought a new hard disk to install it on.

5. marbleapple

marbleapple New Member

Thanks for all the great help but i am still struggling.

The computer crashed 5 times from cold just now. each time i had just reached the desktop.

errors this time:

driver_irql_not_less_or_equal

0x0000008e

or

0x000000D1 (3 times)

all were due to: PC11dex.sys and partmgr.sys

All help is welcome

6. Davos

Davos Overclock3d.net

disconect anything not important - specifically USB and PCI devices. also are you sure that this windows setup CAN work correctly. has it worked fine at any ttime in the past? the cd could be corrupt (long shot)

7. marbleapple

marbleapple New Member

HI There

THe computer worked perfectly for over a year, but went mad arround February. Basically i purchased new memory, and in fitting it i managed to snap the motherboard (god knows how). I purchased a smaller motherboard, thus had to buy a new case (which has since been replaced for a larger one). At the same time as buying more memory (i broke it when i snapped the board) i also added a graphics card. Once all had been added the computer started going mad.

I have been told every thing under the sun and even bought a second hard disk to ensure that i did not have to copy all my music again every time i tried to reinstall windows.

8. Davos

Davos Overclock3d.net

as i said above ^^^ try what i suggested

9. Clarksy

Clarksy WebGuru & Programming Mod

A couple more things you could try:

1) Have you overclocked your CPU at all? If so, set you BIOS settings and RAM timings to the BIOS defaults. Have you tried reseting your BIOS settings to Safe / Factory settings?

2) Have you disabled the on-board sound? I noticed you have an SB Audigy card - could the two drivers be confilicting? Also, try removing the sound card.

10. marbleapple

marbleapple New Member

HI Again,

1. I tried having all usbs unplugged... it still crashed stating the previously mentioned problems.

It also said once windows had loaded up again: 'the instruction at 0x83ddlao2 referenced memory @ 0xffffffc9. The memory could not be written.'

2. I am unsure how you turn the sound drivers off: can you tell me how to do this to make sure it has been done please. I am fairly confident that it is not the sound card though as it is new (2 wks) and the problem is months old.

Its Friday night again: the decision i need to make again is 'take it to pc ideas over the weekend and get no where, or put up with it again :( '

11. SatanicHare

SatanicHare Registered User

Just joined and don't want to appear a smart ass, but i had a similar problem, after much messing about and buying a new h/drive, it turned out to be a damaged data cable

12. marbleapple

marbleapple New Member

hi Pal

Thanks for the info.... I hadn't thought of that....

13. Damian

Damian |Morally Oppressed|

Hi,

Sorry i havn't been around for a while, been a bit busy!

:(

Have you looked at the bios updates for the board by any chance to see if the memory you are using is supported, its a long shot but lots of people find this works from time to time and has been known to solve the oddist of symptoms... but with the error's you are suffering from my gut would say memory... [read on, thats just a comment].

:)

Have you tried using the memory in different slots to see if the problem improves, clearing the bios each time... and perhaps only using one of the two sticks..

I know previously you have swapped these with known working ones, so that could take the memory out of the equation... *wishing it could be that simple*

You have proved it not to be software, due to the reinstallations (many)... so that would tend to rule out drivers and other related issues.

You have tried changing the hard-disk, i wouldn't have thought it was the cables(data).. I doubt it could be the CD or an optical drive at fault but in both cases it always worth checking... (stab in the dark).

And i think you said you've checked the graphics card, could be related to driver information/graphics card ram.. and it behaving other to that the drivers suggest.

Other than the above and what you have mentioned so far it only leaves the motherboard and cpu, being as the board may be damaged in such a way enough to stop data transfering correctly between memory and the cpu/motherboard resources, causing odd faults... or the cpu maybe damaged and handling the data incorrectly, creating yet more odd faults...

I know some of these suggestions are odd, but realistically there is so much you can do without having the necessary kit to test it, and with some of the stranger problems this can bew hard to identify, but dont worry.. where not at that stage yet!

Sorry to see you still have the problem!
    Good luck!!

Damian,

14. marbleapple

marbleapple New Member

HI Damian,

Thank you for the long reply. Your help is much appreciated.

After my original board broke, I transfered a hard disk, processor, memory, and graphics card to the new case. When the error started occuring, I immediatly replaced the memory (I was advised it was the right type). When that didnt work, I replaced the graphics card, and decided to add a second disk. When that didnt fix it I bought a sound card. Finally I transfered it to a large case to avoid overheating.

By using the process of elimination, id guess the new sound card, hard disk, graphics card and memory are ok, since they were fitted when the error was occuring. I believe the old disk was checked but i will find out.

As for the motherboard and CPU, both are high possibilities of being the problem causers since the problem only started when the old motherboard was replaced (and the cpu was put on the new board.)

What seems so strange about this problem is that it only happens when you have just started the computer up. It does a crash 2 to 3 times and then is fine. I play online games, do a lot on the net and make the computer work hard, but its fine with all of it after the few crashes at the beginning.

I suppose what i need your expertise on now Damian, is:

would a motherboard issue/processor issue or even hard disk issue would it only occur when the computer starts up?

Also, on a seperate, or perhaps even linked note, I have noticed a small decrease in the speed of the computer. Little things like a programme a programme hanging a second 2 long, or media player being slower than normal. Perhaps this is just paranoia however since i seem to move about quicker than the computer can handle.

15. kempez815

kempez815 www.overclock3d.net

When that happened to me it was a timing issue wioth the memory. I increased the voltage and loosened the timings and it was all good ;)

16. Clarksy

Clarksy WebGuru & Programming Mod

I got this error yesterday when i tried to plug my NETGEAR WG111T Wireless USB Adpater into my old laptop. It looks like the device driver or the USB BUS driver are at fault.

I posted this to back up the USB related posts.

17. marbleapple

marbleapple New Member

And how would i do this please? (im very much a nlueless coob with computers.)

Thanks

18. fukree

fukree New Member

same problem happening with me :(

19. fukree

fukree New Member