IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL - I hate this computer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by marbleapple, Jul 5, 2005.

Share This Page

1. marbleapple

marbleapple New Member

I have been suffering for the last few months with this error and it has become a nightmare. I’m praying that some one might be able to help me.

Each time on load up, me computer crashes twice with one of the three errors below. After the second crash it seems fine.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

2. Davos

Davos Overclock3d.net

do you have a technical error code??

0x00ae0056 for example. it should be at the bottom of the BSOD

3. marbleapple

marbleapple New Member

0x00000000
    0x00000050

thanks

4. Sparky__H

Sparky__H Registered Trader

does it say STOP at all?

try removing all USB devices

5. marbleapple

marbleapple New Member

It says the three main errors above when it blue screens, but I think it does say stop some times too (not every time).

As for usb devices, my printer, wireless internet and wireless keyboard + mouse are all usb. The wireless internet was implemented after the crashes began.

6. Sparky__H

Unplug every USB device and give it a try

normally get this when the ram or CPU is overheating, USB errors or borked device drivers.

7. Davos

Davos Overclock3d.net

sounds liek ram errors to me bud. especially if it says STOP. in my experience it is either ram or corrupted install.

8. marbleapple

marbleapple New Member

Thanks Sparkey

The tower I have the computer in is fairly good (plenty of fans and space) I originally had it all in a small case and thinking on the same lines as you moved it all into a bigger, cooler case.

It would not either explain why it goes it when the computer is cold (start up after sitting all day) or that it only crashes on start up. - or am i just missing some thing

9. Sparky__H

Swap the ram out and check the paste between the processor and heatsink. It could be borking the drivers as thier being loaded into memory (cold startup)

10. marbleapple

marbleapple New Member

Sparky... I have a feeling that i might owe you a huge pint.... :eek:

The processor was swapped from my old motherboard to my asus one (i managed to snap the old one when i upgraded). If i had made a mess some how with the 'white goo' between the processor and motherboard would this cause the problems i am having?

It doesn't seem to happen when the computer is running or is hot, just on start up.

11. Sparky__H

try the steps i've said, Start by swapping with ram you know is good, remove all USB devices (swap mouse and KB for PS/2 Connections) if there’s still no joy. Then last try re-applying the thermal transfer paste.

Basically be a lazy git and try the easy stuff first!

Oh and try not to destroy anything expensive

12. marbleapple

marbleapple New Member

The computer has been in and out of a 'repair shop' (PC Ideas) and they have tested the ram and wireless stuff. The issues still occur when other are 'right.'

The thermal paste however is some thing which i did myself (As such i most likely messed up).

As for not removing any thing expensive.... Its cost me £800 in new bits' so far :)

13. Sparky__H

Right then get some cleaner and some paste and give it a go. You tried to run memtest 86 at anytime?

No offensive to the shop you have been visiting but these steps are pretty basic ones that almost always reveal the problem for 30min work. They should have checked the transfer material was applied properly and swap tested the whole rig (inc processor) in that fault finding process.

14. marbleapple

marbleapple New Member

sorry for the delay in replying.....wireless internet is a bit of a pain.

Well the computer shop is poor... but i dont know any decent ones in leeds/bradford area. They would rather rebuild the thing rather than check the things you have said.

As for the mem test... fraid not... im a bit of a noob with these things. My knowledge is in eve online and my website :rolleyes:

15. Sub

Sub The cake is a lie!!

question, what power supply do you have?

16. marbleapple

marbleapple New Member

HI Sub.

Again the power supply was one of the possible areas of concern for Pc Ideas when they looked at it. They fixed the possibility of a heating problem and also of a power supply problem by putting the computer in a better case. It seems that the same problem occurs in both cases.

17. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

Download UltimateBootCD and run the memory tests on it, that could rule out the memory for starters.

This is assuming you have something that stays up long enough for you to download it ;)

www.ultimatebootcd.com

18. Damian

Damian |Morally Oppressed|

That is a helpful disk i can vouch for it...

;)

Nice suggestion!!

Damian,

19. marbleapple

marbleapple New Member

Thanks

I will down load it tonight when i return from work.

I am fairly confident though thats its not the memory. The problem occured with the old memory and the new stuff (listed in my 1st post).

20. Damian

Damian |Morally Oppressed|

Hi,

Well under these circumstances my first idea would be in-part as davos suggests, it might be a good idea to use regedit and delete the enum directory in: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet

This will remove all the driver locations from the o/s and allow it to redetect everything on restart, it might be an idea to backup this by exporting it to the desktop first, hi-light the enum directory, right click and export to the desktop..

Shutdown.. remove all non-essential devices and then start it up, if you still get the same problem, but eventually it boots as it did before on the 3rd time, do the same again.. restart and do a repair of the o/s..

It would be cool if you could take an image of your disk, just in case at one stage or another we find problems,

If we do this we might be able to get it into a better state and boot properly...

I had this the other day with a [0x00000050 // 0x00000000] dodgy modem, it did this after corrupting a small section of the registry, it also did something similar when refreshing device manager...

Just a few idea's...

Damian,