Insurance Question

Discussion in 'Cars / Bikes' started by Osiris, Apr 5, 2013.

Share This Page

1. Osiris

Osiris Gentleman and Scholar

I appreciate this forum may not be the fount of all knowledge on the motor trade but hopefully someone has some advise for me.

A few days ago my wife's car was rear ended while parked outside our flat. Basically some plank hit a row of parked cars, of which her car was number 3 in the chain.

The driver has accepted full responsibiltiy etc, we have all the insurance details, no problems there.

The problem is, even though damage to her car was minimal (bent tow bar and small scratch on bumper) the insurers are claiming it needs to be written off.

Aside from the total pain in the **** this will be, she has had the car less than a week and we've very happy with it (Mondeo Zetec S 2.5 V6). Is there any way we can keep the car on the road? It has been inspected and confirmed there is no chassis damage but some desk jockey has made this decision it would seem.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tom

2. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

the write off will be based on the actual value of the car compared to the cost of repair.
    if the only damage is a bent tow bar and a small scratch i can only assume the car is of no significant value.

3. Osiris

The car is valued at £1800 - apparently the repair costs would have exceeded this..... I know Ford main dealer labour is a joke but I find even this value hard to believe :eek:

Anyway, the outcome is quite favourable as it turns out. Insurance company have declared it a Catagory D write off, meaning there is no structural damage but the repair costs outweigh market value. This means that we can;

1. Keep the car
    2. Recieve Market Value for it, less some salvage costs. ~£1400.
    3. Keep it fully insured provided we supply a new MOT within 8 days.

So it's worked out rather well in the end.

I would love to see the culprit's renewal quote after this, he's responsible for 3 write-off's plus the damage to his own car....... can't imagine he'll be Mr Popular.

4. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

a small scratch and a bent tow bar wouldn't be an MOT failure, and repairs costs for those 2 items would not be more than (or anywhere near) £1800.
    it sounds like there are more faults/damage than you either know about or are telling here.

5. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

You'd be surprised. My Dad's car was written off for a 2 inch dent on the front bumper (where the bumper met the wing on the wheel arch).

Again, a low value car (£700 or so) but by no means irrepairable or even an MOT failure. He took the money as the process of getting it back and getting it on the road was such a pain in the backside, not because of the damage.

6. Osiris

Why would I not disclose all the information? I was asking for some actual advise on the situation and relaying the details the insurers have given us. I was not asking for a damage assesment or a valuation of the car. I know the car will pass the MOT, in fact, it had a new MOT when we bought it! The reason it needs a new one is so the insurance remains valid as the car was deemed written off.

I have no idea why they estimate repairs to be too expensive, but that's the situation they put us in. Ultimatly it has worked out OK, more by luck though.

7. Ninjagordy

Ninjagordy Winner of The Game (UJFL)

i bought a car that was written off AND HAD NOT BEEN REPAIRED. i couldnt actually find the reason it got written off till it was pointed out. its a joke sometimes

8. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

A guy I used to work with got bumped, insurance wrote off his car and gave him the value of the car. They also said that he could keep it and two years later he sold the car.

On a side note. If my car needs a new carpet it gets written off because a carpet is £650 + postage (from Japan) + VAT.

9. six5tring

six5tring Silent Kristian Konsumer

My old Volvo was once written off because someone cracked a light fitting! Naturally brought it back.

six

10. latency

latency Existentialist

IANAL, but a guy on a car forum I post on knows A LOT about insurance stuff.

Since you are a 3rd party in this, and this is the equivalent of criminal damage, insurance are LEGALLY OBLIGED to fix your car.

You need to stand your ground and tell them to just fix it. Insurance companies are bar-stewards and will get away with whatever they can.

11. Osiris

Thanks latency - I had read this myself but was unsure. However, the way it has worked out means we gain £1400 and the car is basically no different. You really need to look closely to see any indication of the accident and it's passed an MOT this morning as part of the salvage agreement so its all legal and above board.

If the damage was more extensive we'd push for repairs but it really doesn't seem worth it. The only downside is we can't use the tow bar, but i've told my wife if she ever wants to buy a caravan i'll leave her anyway :D. Resale value is also not exactly a concern either as she'll just drive it in to the point where it's worth nowt.

Thanks again for all the advice.