I used to laugh when asked for a USB Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Tech News' started by Graeme*Kustom*, Jan 28, 2009.

Share This Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graeme*Kustom*

Graeme*Kustom* Administrator

For years it was the butt of many a joke that people would ask for a 'USB graphics card' in our store - along the same lines as a SCSI printer, or an IDE modem... Yes, it did all happen.

Looks like they can all come back and point and laugh at me now, because I'm pleased to announce we have USB graphics cards in stock now.

It's not April 1st, and these VillageTronic ViBook USB Graphics Cards are actually a brilliant idea - perfect way to add a DVI output for a 2nd (or third) screen on a laptop, mini-ITX system or CarPC.

[​IMG]

You can even add a whole bunch of them... ideal if you just can't get enough desktop space. It supports 1680x1050 and supports Win 2000 / XP / Vista / Seven (including Aero) and OSX 10.4 / 10.5.

Clicky - http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_5302.html

2. Hutchy

Hutchy *\\(^o^)//*

Thats a genious idea, I could have like 4 monitors at work with my really bad PC.

3. Westy5

Westy5 Space

If they work - brilliant!

G, have you used one - what's the lag like?

According to engadget there are a few contenders out there too, Asus, Sony and Kensington.

4. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

Ooooo.... Nice!

Just wondering, does it matter what the graphics card on the machine is? is it independent of the machines current card?

Now does it work under linux..:)

This might make me reinstall xp...

5. LSG501

LSG501 You can call me Levi

samsung (and some others) do actual displays with usb connections built in and general consensus from the reviews I've seen is that its a pretty good solution for non graphically intensive tasks, even manages vista aero. Intel have even added support into their graphics chip drivers :eek:

My understanding is its basically plug n play with the drivers being on the device type affair, graphics card isn't important although as I said intel added support within the drivers (think its just access via the control panel etc)

6. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

Just checked out their website, looks very good! Thinking of getting it. Would be better than the current 16mb video card my laptop has...

G, was wondering could you get the cardbus version in?

7. Tom

Tom Merrrrrr

You may be upset to find that their FAQ does state that there isn't any Linux support.

8. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

That's whay i'm asking about the VTBook (Thats the PCMCIA Video option). It has 2d Linux support. If Graeme Can't get it then i'd consider getting the ViBook and sticking XP on my laptop as a dual boot.

9. Graeme*Kustom*

Graeme*Kustom* Administrator

Can source it, yes, although expect it to cost about £200. Pop me a mail if you're interested and I can get an exact price and lead time for you.

10. staticuk

staticuk Registered User

this looks smart as, shame its past the 100 mark as i dont see many people running out to buy 1 (or 6 for that matter) in a hurry. but is a great idea maybe if my xps or alienware gpu chip failed its a quick fix. dig deep

**do you still have to have a gpu installed to use this or could i rip out my 260 and it still work?**

11. six5tring

six5tring Silent Kristian Konsumer

Technically once installed then you could I believe run it stand alone... however it boots post windows (IIRC) so no bios etc.

six

12. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

At staticuk, there are cheaper ones. You can get VGA for £43 and DVI for £57.50. The £125 one is VillageTronic ViBook where as the cheaper ones are startech. My friend has a cheaper startech VGA one that he uses on his laptop. They are however only really good for 2D things so you can't play games on them.

PS I've locked this thread and delete the arugment posts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.