HTPC recommendation request

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor PCs' started by Digital Doctor, Apr 5, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Loving AMD's new AM1 CPU

Hello people

Right im wanting a small (smaller the better) htpc that will work on a 1080p benq projector, prefererably mini itx but micro atx is fine too, something that will stream 1080p video and play the occasional game or two, im out of touch with the latest computer tech as ive been settling down with music production for the past 5 years. Ideally would like to keep everything around £450 could you help me?

cheers guys.

2. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

If you don't need a TV tuner and you're talking about very occasional low-spec gaming (i.e. onboard video) then take a look at Intel NUC machines. Looks like Kustom sell some Gigabyte ones, though Intel also make their own boxes and you can buy the boards by themselves as well. Similar to the idea of an ITX board with an integrated Atom, except much smaller and the processors range from Celerons to low power i7s.

I'm currently running a Core 2 Duo-based Shuttle that does it's job absolutely fine, but when it comes to replacing it I'm definitely considering NUC - especially if the Steam streaming technology works well when it's released.

3. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Loving AMD's new AM1 CPU

ok mate cheers, sounds good to me, im not really a mega gamer, i play games like world snooker chamionship and pool/ etc games that i can interact with the family/friends. Im not fussed about looks too much as long as it fits in with my 7.1 receiver.