HTPC Build Article

Discussion in 'Articles / Guides' started by Graeme*Kustom*, Jun 4, 2006.

Share This Page

1. Graeme*Kustom*

Graeme*Kustom* Administrator

Our article showing to how build a HTPC system from your 'old upgrade leftovers' is now published including details of another funky competition.

Check it out here .

Comments are now enabled in this area, so feel free to drop any thoughts / suggestions here !

2. Big Adam

Big Adam Super Moderator

Nice article. Liked the tip about the FrontView software with enables MCE integration with the iMon. Will have to look into that one. :)

3. Adam^

Adam^ Registered User

Very good article. Enjoyed reading it :)

4. Ruff

Ruff Christmas All Year Round!

Thats a great guide! Detailed and easy to read, now if only i had the money :p

5. rhubarbe

rhubarbe You want a what, dear?

That's more or less what I did for HTPC MKI, except I modded my graphics card to get rid of the screamer of a fan. The metallic whir of the HDD combined with the SilenX 80mm fan on the CPU cooler, and the quietest PSU I could get at the time (Seasonic IIRC) made for a wonderful system on which I could watch Digital TV in Composite video because I had only a CRT TV with no DVI or even S-Video. I could watch the programmes with subtitles that is, because I couldn't hear the TV at all over the HTPC.

HTPC MKV will be built around a Pentium M fanless chassis, when I can find one that'll fit into a 50mm high case.

6. theuncharmed

theuncharmed I was hatched

Still haven't fixed the 31st of June competition. No one will ever win!

Enjoyed the article and I'm clasping my grinning with the idea of getting hold of that case :)

7. Fireblade

Fireblade Mental Modder[ator]!!

You're clasping your what :confused:

8. Kucen

Kucen Registered User

Satellite Tuner cards - are they really on the cards (please forgive pun)!? This is something I would definitely want assuming that they are for Sky Digital viewing?

Do you have any info on when they might be available?

Regards.
    K

9. theuncharmed

theuncharmed I was hatched

Not sure. Must have forgotten to write something :eek:

ah, possibly ... 'clasping my hands, grinning' ...

Sorry, all is well again.

10. robdos

robdos Registered Trader

does any one know who won the loot?

11. Big Adam

Big Adam Super Moderator

Closing date was 31st of June 2006. I'm sure we haven't had that date yet! :D

12. robdos

robdos Registered Trader

LOL, cunning plan on behalf of Kustom!

13. Sub

Sub The cake is a lie!!

? how have we not had the 31st of June or did you mean july? sorry this is the first time i've been away at this kinda time.. did i miss something :p

14. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

june only has 30 days ! d'oh !

15. Graeme*Kustom*

Apologies, I was hoping to try and get an offer emailed out to everyone else at the same time. The case and card were won by Alan Bodger.

16. Adamant

Adamant Registered User

Hi All,

I know this is an old thread but I noticed this bit:
    "MCE allows the use of dual tuners so that you can watch one program ‘live’ and record another at the same time. We stock dual tuner analogue and Freeview cards, so if you’re likely to find more than one programme on at a given time that you can’t miss, then consider a dual tuner card."

Now, I happen to have 2 x Sky Digiboxes here - and the IR Blasters that come with the M$ remote come in a pack of 2.

Can I turn MCE into a proper SKY+ replacement here where I can watch one Sky channel whilst recording another?

Can I make it differentiate between Sky boxes on the inputs so it knows where to IR Blast?

If not, I read your article about the Digital Satellite Tuner and CAM for getting Sky without needing a Digibox - are there any twin-tuner cards which would be able to use one CAM and thus one card for two digital satellite tuners?

I'm guessing it must be possible to drive two tuners from one card, at least in some way, as Sky do it in their Sky+ box.

Anyways, sorry for the questions but I'm really interested in this but really want to make sure I do it right from the start! :)

17. Graeme*Kustom*

Yep, there's two ways of doing this.

Cheap way is getting two PVR-150 cards http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_4335.html and connecting to two Digiboxes with Composite cable. MCE can be configured to match up one card to one box and one IR blaster, and likewise the second card is the second box and second blaster - it works very well and is really just a matter of following through the questions in the MCE setup wizard.

For better picture quality and to get rid of the Sky boxes, you can use a Digital Everywhere sat tuner card detailed in the other article in our site, but I haven't tried using two tuners with MCE. I know it should work in Media Portal - MCE I'm not sure though. You would definitely need a second CAM module so it becomes quite expensive for two cards / two CAMs although does look a bit better than capturing through an analogue card.

18. Adamant

Adamant Registered User

Looks like a plan to me! :)

When will you have more of the WinTV 150 cards in stock?

19. Graeme*Kustom*

Email us and I'll check for you :)

20. devo

devo Registered User

I was wondering if it's possible to record tv in (preferably Vista) Media Center using s-video input on a tv tuner for video and optical input on a sound card for audio (coming from a Sky box). I am assuming that it's possible to output from Sky using s-video and optical.

Thanks in advance