HTC Sense and Facebook

Discussion in 'Rant forum' started by Samsonite, Oct 3, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

Hi,

I don't know if anyone finds this annoying or knows of a way to deal with it but HTC recently changed their Sense OS to be completely tied into Facebook. Now I never use Facebook mobile app because I don't want to - I hate the faff with privacy on Facebook so if anything I use the website occasionally.

So, I started getting warning messages on my HTC One many times a day saying "HTC Sense needs permissions to for Facebook". I didn't have an account set up and the only options were to provide account details or sign up for a Facebook account.

I tried to do some research on what I could do about this and the suggestion was that I could go into facebook and there is a specific section about what you allow your phone to do with Facebook. So I configured this, then I went back to the mobile app and put my username and password in. This kind of worked - I got notifications when there was a facebook message and if I tapped it, it would show me the message. The problem is that it still gives me warnings all day long saying "Facebook needs permissions to do stuff".

Basically if I try and find out what it needs, it wants to have the rights to post things to Facebook without my consent.

Is it me or is this just a terrible thing? I don't want Facebook to force my phone to do things. Purely because I cannot get rid of these "error" messages that appear all day long, I am ditching HTC. A shame because the phone itself has been perfect for me and the OS has until this... what a stupid move.

Having said that, if anyone knows how to get rid of Facebook on HTC Sense, maybe I will give it another chance! If you un-install Facebook, it just stays there. That's when I read that it is now part of the OS...

My work is getting me an LG G3 next week so if that seems any good I may just get rid of my personal phone. The only reason I have kept a personal contract and phone is partly due to the contract length (which is up next year) and partly because I find my personal phone (HTC) much more useful for work than my work phone (iPhone 5S).

Cheers,
    S

2. Graeme*Kustom*

Graeme*Kustom* Administrator

Don't know for sure on this, but it's at least an avenue to explore - rooting and installing a plain version of the Android OS? It loses the manufacturer customisations that way but it may mean you get the experience you want rather than what they want...

3. Samsonite

Yeah, I had thought about that, but I actually found Sense to be a really good OS - it is really slick and just a great user experience, but I am shocked at how much having warning errors in the top bar complaining about Facebook access - can ruin that slick experience. And I guess I hate the principal so much that HTC have gone from hero to zero.

4. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

I guess it depends how deeply it's integrated but if it's the usual case of "It's installed by default so you can't uninstall it" then can't you just turn the notifications for anything Facebook related off?

Settings > Device > Personalisation > Manage Notifications

5. Samsonite

Unfortunately the error messages are HTC Sense warning messages - the same OS-type errors other apps give. Facebook is not complaining at all in fact it works fine and gives me notifications and logs in without issue, it is just the OS which is complaining for no good reason.