HP Touchpad

Discussion in 'Technology / Gadget Forum' started by Bryanese, May 19, 2012.

Share This Page

1. Bryanese

Bryanese Tasted LAN and liked it.

So, I picked up one a at the beginning of the week and I'm pretty enamoured with her (she's a she and she's called Haru because I'm weird). With the terminal illness that WebOS is stricken with, I took the decision to install Ice Cream Sandwich, Android 4.03, and things are pretty darn sweet. The camera and microphone don't work but I can access the marketplace, Steam, Twitter, Kindle, YouTube, Crunchyroll, etc, etc, etc, so, I'm really not terribly fussed. : )

I remember discussing the firesale of Touchpads and Pre 3s a while back a few of you mentioned picking some of each up. How have you been using them (if at all)? Here're a few shots of mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LSG501

LSG501 You can call me Levi

Got mine, used it for a few business meetings and then it just sitting on the desk, glad I got mine in the firesale or it would have been a very expensive paperweight lol.

Was quite good for angry birds when I first got it though :)

I do intend to install cyanogenmod onto it but I'm being kind of lazy and just not got round to it lol

3. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

Ours gets daily hard use from the missus, who loves it. I put CM7 on it but - get this - she prefered WebOS :). I can understand to be honest, over a non-ICS android. It is actually a very nice interface; the swiping and multiple apps you can 'tab' through is very nice, something I miss on Android to be honest. And for what she uses it for, WebOS ticks all the boxes. But I will get round to putting ICS on it at some point... when she's away from it long enough.

Out of interest, which ICS mod did you put on? Was it plain sailing?

4. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

Still gutted that we weren't allow to touch our stock of them. :(

5. LSG501

Sounds like cyanogenmod, it's the only ICS one I know of with the issues he mentioned.

Install seems pretty straightforward if your read the wiki etc over there.

I have to agree that some of the gestures/processes in webos seem much more fluid than android. Swipe to close etc just seem much more natural and the 'weeeee' if you have it upside down is a nice touch :)

6. Bryanese

@LSG501: Do it. Do it. : )

@brumster: Uh huh, I agree with you completely. The whole 'cards' thing felt really intuitive and I miss being able to flick between open apps, however, ICS does have a similar feature with the 'recent apps' button - see here.

I really did love WebOS having been a proud Pre owner but everything I use on the go is running under Android now, so, installing ICS made a lot of sense - I can still boot into WebOS if I'm feeling nostalgic. It's CyanogenMod 9 and installation was pretty straightforward. It's incredibly stable and everything I make use of works brilliantly. Camera and microphone don't work, as I said, and rarely the WiFi connection gets dropped but other than that, I couldn't recommend it more.

@Archaon: They (16GB models) go for ~£140 on fleBay if you're still hankering after one. May seem a lot to pay for a device which is out of warranty/support and requires modding but a friend of mine bought a dedicated Android tablet a month ago and paid £200 for it and, frankly, it's inferior to my Touchpad.

7. LSG501

bryanese take a look at http://www.webosnation.com/webcm9-makes-android-feel-little-more-home.

As to £200 for an android tablet... not sure what he got but you can get a samsung 7" galaxy tab 7.0 plus for £200 now... that's dual core etc and the tab 2 7.0 (yeah I know too many models) could come in even cheaper if it ever gets released in the UK. Not to mention the possibility of the google branded asus model hitting sub £150!

8. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

We were one of the last places in the UK to have stock (as in, the stupidly cheap reduced stock) but they didn't let us buy them. Meh.

9. Bryanese

Wowsers! That's my day off tomorrow sorted! And I had so much planned which'll just be going on the back burner now. : P

Maybe I'm wrong. I was, er, 'merry' when he showed me it, so, you'll have to forgive me for failing to remember the make and model. He mentioned paying "two-hundred notes" for it. I remember it feeling a little tacky and when I say 'inferior', I'm referring to the build qaulity, the hardware may well be better but I doubt it. Just a shame any Android mod for the Touchpad lacks the superb level of optimisation a dedicated Android tablet might have; the Touchpad's hardware is still pretty grand.

10. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

I think the only negative thing that really comes to the front with the Touchpad is the weight...

Got a few days off soon, might spend one of them bringing it up to ICS and see if the missus can stick with it. Would like some tighter integration to Google's services and a wider choice of apps. But I'm going to miss my MythTV app on WebOS :(

11. LSG501

Don't get me wrong there are PLENTY of rubbish quality android at the lower ends of the spectrum, it's just that you can now get a 'good' brand for £200 (which is good :))

12. Bryanese

@brumster: Funny, I never noticed the Touchpad's weight until you commented on it. It could be lighter. (>_

13. LSG501

well I'm now a dual booting hp touchpad owner lol

After a slight hiccup (used acmeinstaller instead of acmeinstaller2, yes it makes a difference) I got it all installed nicely using the latest nightly :)

Now to see how well it actually works, although that may be tomorrow during the day lol

14. Ninjagordy

Ninjagordy Winner of The Game (UJFL)

blackberry playbook 16gb is £169 in pcworld....only said that as i know kustom dont sell tablets....

i bought a Sony Tablet S , 3 weeks old off the bay for £235 today...so hopefully arrive tomorrow..... :D