HP selling their PC division

Discussion in 'Topical Discussion' started by movinginthedark, Aug 19, 2011.

Share This Page

1. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

Not what I meant - there's nothing wrong with tablets, what I meant was that nobody cares about the TouchPad when it's up against the iPad 2. To compete it either needed to be considerably cheaper, or much better. It's neither of those.

As Brum said, people like us are actually a tiny weeny little minority. The threat to HP isn't people like us, it's the market itself and the fact that PCs are a commodity item. While I stand by my previous comments that HP should have a profitable business in PSG, people like Dell who offer a similar product for less (and the fact that the public expect these cheap prices) are the threat to HP.

It would not surprise me at all if HP make more money out of one server hard drive than they do 10 PCs sold at a typical entry level £250-£300 price point.

In all fairness to the big OEMs, the reason PC building was somewhat popular initially was because it's cheaper. That's not really the case anymore, the problem with OEMs nowadays is component choices and/or suitabilit for the kind of things we 'enthusiasts' do. You can get a pretty damn nifty base unit for £300-£400 these days, things like a Sandy Bridge i3 with 4GB RAM and 500GB hard drive. But you'll still struggle if you want to put in a high end graphics cards, lots of expansion cards, additional memory, additional drives etc.

For example these machines typically don't support the size, power or cooling requirements of beefy graphics cards. It will probably ship with 2x2GB DIMMs on a 2-slot mobo, meaning a memory upgrade to 6GB or 8GB means binning the RAM or recycling it elsewhere, rather than adding 2 extra sticks to a 4-slot mobo you'd typically get in a custom built PC (or a higher end OEM). You might even find you only have one free drive bay, if you have one at all - not much good for the 5 hard drives that I had in my last system.

Put together a system with a case, psu, mobo, i3-2100, 4GB RAM, 500GB, optical drive and a Win 7 Pro licence for less than £350 and you'll see what I mean. Then add in the fact that you've not got a comprehensive warranty, just warranties on the individual parts, no central support or anything like that. Then factor in your time, not just build and troubleshooting but also sitting there installing Windows.

Don't get me wrong I've always built my own machines (laptops excluded) for the last 10 years or so, but don't kid yourself into thinking that by doing your own custom build that you'll always be saving money.

2. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

Well my Touchpad arrived this week. No wonder HP are ditching the things; not very impressive compared to the competition. Laggy at times, and with very little integration with 3rd party services (although there is a fair bit on the google front, it's not perfect). Apps slow to start up, and there's not a lot of them on there or on the marketplace equivalent. Hardware-wise it's lovely - so it's really just screaming out for this Android port to take off and it'll be a quality investment at the price I got it for.

As it stands, with WebOS, it really is a second rate citizen. But, hey, it does support Flash out of the box, at least :D

3. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Loving AMD's new AM1 CPU