HP selling their PC division

Discussion in 'Topical Discussion' started by movinginthedark, Aug 19, 2011.

Share This Page

1. movinginthedark

movinginthedark Trogdor...

Hewlett Packard are looking for a buyer for their PC division with the aim of buying UK software company, Autonomy for £7.1bn

Apparently, they're gearing there hardware more towards the server end of things and are "doing an IBM" in order to increase profit margins. Kinda risky as they have no confirmed buyer yet - but fingers crossed.

I for one will be sorry to see HP bow out of the PC/Laptop scene. They made some solid towers and awesome laptops.

BBC coverage found here

2. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

Our management made some questionable decisions though (I'm an employee). When they bought Palm I thought "Why the **** do they want them?" - I mean, I understand the high level premise that they wanted to edge into the PDA/tablet space, but why on earth would you want to use such out-dated kit like Palm as your basis? Right then it was clear to me that the public are sold on two products and platforms - iPhone, and Android. If you're going to breach the defences of either of these you need an awesome product and, quite frankly, I don't think one exists to better them. HP should have just let it be and recognise they missed the boat. If anything, they could have punted out the Touchpad with Android and they'd have had a fighting chance... but WebOS? Really.

They've been trying to punt WebOS out internally to all us employees - Palm Pre's and so forth - and I for one have even turned down the freebies!

I agree though, shame about the home PC side of things, but realistically I don't think the world will miss HP in that area.

No, I'm not in their PSG area - quite obviously ;) !!

3. movinginthedark

movinginthedark Trogdor...

WebOS in theory would be awesome though.
    I hope the idea catches on - I think that eventually it will go that way, but I think technology, specifically "super-fast broadband" and improved 3/4/5...G network coverage needs to be more widely available for the idea to take off. More specifically, publicly available.

4. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

Ironically it's been reported today that WebOS runs better on an iPad than it does on the Touchpad, due to the Touchpad being underpowered and old technology (apparently the hardware had been kicking around long before Palm was purchased).

5. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

The Touchpad is sorely underpowered compared to the iPad and higher-end Android tablets. While WebOS generally works fine on it and in isolation is a very nice OS - the problem is that nobody really cares. Not being funny but it doesn't do much that the iPad or a good Android tablet can do, and given that it's not any cheaper what's the incentive for anyone to buy it? The only way it would have a hope in hell is if it offered iPad performance at cheap Android tab prices, and it doesn't have either.

That said I am surprised HP are bowing out of the PSG market. Given how much cheaper brands like Dell and Acer are on an average system, I can only assume that HP are actually making above-average margin, especially as they have the largest market share and so in theory should benefit from more economies of scale. So (again, in theory) they should have lower costs than the competition and in general their sell price is higher, so either way they should be making more money than the likes of Dell.

If they're not then to me that suggests an issue within the company (or PSG in particular), not the market.

PS - Brummie, what area do you work in out of interest? If you don't mind me asking and/or you're allowed to answer, of course. ;)

6. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

Exactly. No-one gives too hoots that WebOS might, on paper, be the better OS. It doesn't do anything the others don't, and people like reassurance that they're picking something mainstream and supportable. Look at all the apps on iPhone and Android marketplace.... WebOS is just starting running, but the starter's pistol went off 3 or so years ago and everyone else has already done 10 laps!

HP Enterprise Services - their consulting arm. What was EDS, basically ;)

7. Vicey

Vicey Regular Kustomer

I know this thread is mainly about the selling of their PC division but I'm much more interested in the Palm/WebOS thing so I'm going to post about that instead, I hope no one minds :p

I liked the Palm Pre but I felt they waited too long to follow it up with new models. You look at HTC, Samsung, LG they are flooding the market with new models every 3 months and this keeps their brand in peoples minds and the desire for their phones are high.

Then HP bought Palm and I thought finally more WebOS phones will hit the market and HP will take WebOS and put it on their Printers, Scanners etc. It would move and fast! - Well we are now more than a year past that acquisition of Palm and WebOS has only started to trickle out again in new devices like the Pre 3 and TouchPad. Too little too late the market leapfrogged them.

Shipping the touchpad with only a single core processor from years gone by but pricing it the same as a Dual-Core iPad 2 .. what were they thinking? This really shows what HP thinks of their customers they were making ludicrous margins on the Touch Pads hardware and the only reason they priced it next to the iPad is because they thought stupid customers would see their product at the same price and think it must be just as good. Then to add insult to customers who fell for that they dropped the price. And now it has fallen even more to just $99 to get rid of stock.

HP really couldn't of handled this any worse. If we could go back in time this is what I would have done.

1. Begin licensing WebOS immediately upon acquisition of Palm.
    2. Release 2 new phones within 6 months of the acquisition of Palm.
    3. Release the Touch Pad 6 months ago with a Dual Core processor.

And if they had of done that maybe WebOS would still have a future and the TouchPad would have had a viable ecosystem around it that would have driven sales.

8. Archaon

I work for a reseller in our servers/storage presales team - we're not dedicated to HP ESSN but in fairness the way our sales are we may as well be lol. :)

I used to do PSG (and some IPG) presales in the same company before that, although only for 5 months or so.

9. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

Looks Like HP is having a "firesale" of the current lot of tablets...

In the US, where the tables never sold anywhere near HP's predictions they have slashed the prices.
    The basic 16Gb model is down to $99
    and the other model is $149
    roughly 75% off!!!!
    No word if the price slashing is gonna make it over to this side of the pond, but if it does! it might be the bargain of the year!!!

10. Archaon

For that money I'd buy one and sod the support. Unfortunately for us I doubt that there's much stock of the TouchPad in the UK - from the looks of things there probably wasn't much stock anywhere as it sounds like a lot of the big US places have already sold out.

11. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

oooh!! hate to mention this but check out PCWorld:

TouchPad Tablet PC - 16GB

Web Exclusive Price - £89.00
    Was - £349.99
    Save a total of £260.99

TouchPad Tablet PC - 32GB
    Web Exclusive Price - £115.00
    Was - £429.99
    Save a total of £314.99

12. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

meh still overpriced

13. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

Pointless offer - tried to buy one; you have to collect (not home delivery) and nowhere has the feckers in stock.

14. Archaon

We had stock earlier (we weren't allowed to purchase them or else I'd have one arriving tomorrow lol). We were so slow implementing the price change that I think we were one of the last places that had them - we had so many new registrations on the website that it repeatedly fell over and performed like a dog all day, and we had so many enquiries through our inbound team that they physically couldn't keep up.

There are quite a few around on Amazon that are well below RRP, nothing like £89/115 but cheap compared to the RRP - for me £240 is too much for a dead platform but might interest other people? Obviously people that have bought them cheap and trying to make some cash, but meh.

15. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Loving AMD's new AM1 CPU

The only place i like hp is on my chips!

16. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Loving AMD's new AM1 CPU

Couldnt have put it better myself, your right no one cares about these devices, theyre just a fashion statement and will never be as good as a decent laptop. I really cant see the point in them. If pc world can afford to sell them at these prices they can do it all the time.

The "build it yourself" pc market is killing companies like hp, end of the day you can build your own, cheaper, faster and with better quality components. Ive never bought a manufactured pc because ive got the sense not to, as far as pcs go pc world are a prime example of a store that throw together rubbish then sell them at top price.

We are in the computer age now, more&more people are going to college or university to learn about them and to build them, till in the end pc builders like hp wont exist to the home user.

While i dont have magical powers that can see into the future i know that much, shops like kustom will get bigger and better, pcs have gone from "off the shelf systems" to diy systems, which is for the best anyway. There will be the odd few companies that build them for businesses but compared to the end user diy market theres no comparison.

Even Porsche have had a bash and failed, most of these companies have only themselves to blame really because once people start to learn about pcs and build their own they think "god was i living under a rock"? And then its probably the last time they buy a shop built one.

17. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

I think that's a bit naive on the DIY front. There will ALWAYS be a desire for convenience and, whether people are skilled to build a PC themselves or not, you will always have portions of the populace who will pay for convenience and long-term support. Naturally the common viewpoint on this forum is going to be towards your line of thinking but pull the focus back a bit to the 'rest of the world' and we're a minority, really. Talk to the average man on the street and I suspect 80% of the people out there, kids and grannies alike, will have no idea how to build a PC. I doubt it's a common subject taught at schools or universities either, although I'll admit I don't know, but certainly when I was young the only uni courses around hardware were more focused on the intrinsic inner workings of solid state circuitry, not screwing a heatsink down ;)

18. phil2715

phil2715 Registered + Sale

Don't forget businesses either. PCs are more of a commodity item than they've ever been. Nowadays I literally cannot buy a PC from Dell that won't be up to spec for our office so why would I waste my time building one from scratch?

19. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

Well, I'm a happy man, just snagged a 32GB Touchpad via an internally-announced sell-off at a price even lower than retailers :). The EPP site didn't quite crash, but certainly slowed up, in no time and they sold out within about 10 minutes, by the look of things - my colleague sitting next to me was a few minutes behind me and missed out :D

I said to some guys here in the office that they'd probably port Android to it and then it makes great sense - and sure enough I see loads of posts on the internet about Touchdroid. If that takes off, it was a worthwhile punt at £109. Even if it doesn't, I'm happy to have the flutter and have a cheap tablet that should do 2 years of service before it's a brick.

20. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

Just a heads up of you know someone needing a cheap mobile...
    HP are also going to be dumping the price of the HP Pre 3 phone to between £75 - £100 (sim-free) sometime in the next day or so
    if they have not done so already, it looks like it's sold out every where at the moment! lol