Hows vista treating everyone?

Discussion in 'Software' started by black1e, Mar 18, 2007.

Share This Page

1. black1e

black1e Regular Kustomer

Thinking of upgrading to Vista ultimate in the next week or so but i'm always hearing bad things about it. Just want to see if anybody thinks i should wait a little longer from their use of it.

Oh and is it true theres a torrent blocker with it?

2. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

has been working fine with no problems since release for me.

can't say i've heard of a 'torrent blocker', and as i can download torrents i can't say i've come across it either.

3. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

I've been on Vista for a while (gotta love MSDN!")

Not had any major problems!

no torrent blocker (apart from MS firewall which is just blockes EVERYTHING!!) ;)

4. black1e

black1e Regular Kustomer

Good news already, thanks

5. nicky munchkin

nicky munchkin Nick is not responding...

6. Slamdog

Slamdog Un-Banned!

i like it on my lappy....

running business vista here, not the domestic stuff. it works fine without probs.

7. Fat Jez

Fat Jez Master of the High Five!

Dual booting Vista Home Premium with XP Pro and finding I'm spending more time using Vista than XP now, almost to the point where I'm thinking about moving properly to Vista only.

After a rotten experience with the early beta's (lots of little niggles) it seems to be shaping up into a decent OS. I've got the 64-bit DVD on order too, although drivers will be in short supply here for some of my older kit.

Cheers,
    Stephen

8. Euphoria

Euphoria The music dude!

Vista is fine here too. Had a few driver issues to start with, but all seems ok now!

9. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey OMG! Its huge!

No complaints about 32 bit Vista on a desktop or laptop. Tried 64 bit Vista on the laptop as it was Turion chipped and it lasted a day (no sound drivers, no work around). I will be going to Vista permanently on my desktop as soon as my projected hardware upgardes are completed.

10. Zozart

Zozart used to be splaty

I've got Ultimate installed and, though it's nice, I'm still using XP Pro as my primary.

My main issues with Ultimate are the playback of codecs and containers (Matroska support is sketchy, and non-existant (seemingly) in anything other than MPC, while H264 support in general is more flaky than I'd like).

Still... I'm building a new computer later this year and I'll start anew with Vista then. Hopefully some of the niggles will have been patched by then too.

11. pumpman

pumpman Registered Insane

Fine but it can't make me cups of tea.For £70 for the next few years I'm not complaining

12. Tom

Tom Merrrrrr

Why would Microsoft care about an open format, when they've got their own HD container format, ASF? There's a lot of information about MS's own codecs and their HD capabilities here, too.

Matroska support is the same everywhere at the minute; to most it's still either unknown or relatively fresh in the media container world. Even though it's free (as in freedom) Ubuntu Edgy Eft doesn't have support for it as per the base install (read: I had to install VLC/Mplayer before I could play them), and that's with Ubuntu's "never be x months out of date" thinking.

As for Vista, my experiences are by-and-large dictated here and also here.

My system, thanks to Nvidia's wonderful legacy support, isn't up to date enough to be fully supported, so there's no real way for me to run the OS without any isssue.

As I'm now quite happily settled into full-time Ubuntu use, I've only got a Windows partition around for gaming reasons. I think when I manage to upgrade to a machine that'll spit on the requirements for Vista, I shall replace XP as the secondary OS. I don't dislike Vista, I just can't use it to its full potential yet.

13. DJW33

DJW33 New Member

i run ultimate and it still has many issues, depending on how much u r gna pay id say it was worth getting although drivers are a complete problem and there is not a lot of support for sound cards, my installation recently started deciding not to find the drivers for my mouse and EX HD which previously were working fine and i could not for the life of me get them to wrk, im not sure hat this was because such drivers are preinstalled and a simple reformat/reinstall solved the problem...

14. InsolentMinx

InsolentMinx Country is my rock.

I've got Business running and have had no problems aside from a few issues with drivers at the installation, but all's running smoothly now.

I was just wondering though if any other Vista Business users are not getting a windows logo on the boot screen? All i get is the familiar green loading bar, and Microsoft underneath it... no fancy logo or anything.

15. Fat Jez

Fat Jez Master of the High Five!

Home Premium does exactly the same thing. I must admit, I was a bit surprised when it first booted and there was no Windows logos anywhere to be seen!

Cheers,
    Stephen

16. jsnemesis

jsnemesis Super Kustomer

You can change it to a Vista Aura type thing when you boot, its slightly more interesting...

Go to Windows-Run, type in "msconfig", then the Boot tab, and tick the box marked "No GUI Boot"

Ta-da!

17. InsolentMinx

I had a little google after posting that, and found this about a hidden boot screen:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-hidden-bootscreen-in-windows-vista/

It works... and is much prettier than the black screen. But, lemme know if it's dangerous to the system, as i'm not all that great with computers and the msconfig options, but it seems to have worked! :D

18. InsolentMinx

haha, but after that minor annoyance, the only big problem I have with Vista is than darn annoying UAC pop up everytime the computer wants to do something...

I have an Admin account, but it still feels the need to request my authorization for EVERYTHING! I feel like a parent with a child that keeps asking me if it can go out and play.

19. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

I hope you never plan to try anything UNIX based lol. :p

20. InsolentMinx

nope, i never intend on trying anything Unix based... i'm not sure if you mean that it Unix keeps popping up with warning boxes like that, or the fact that i don't know enough about computers... but either way, i'll be staying clear! :)