How to clean up a coloured document so it appears white?

Discussion in 'Software' started by johnk9159, May 30, 2015.

Share This Page

1. johnk9159

johnk9159 Regular Kustomer

In the past I've had documents printed at a copy shop but lately the owner says he cannot do this as the original document is on green paper, although this wasn't a problem for him before.
    He said he could "clean it up" so text will be on a white background but I don't know what he means by cleaning it up.
    Is there a way of scanning the document so it appears on white background rather than shaded as it would be copying the green part of the document?
    Documents appear dark when copied in b&w with ink being used unnecessarily to give a shaded background.
    Thanks

2. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

I would suspect by "cleaning it up" he means editing the scanned image to remove the green and leave a white background, which sounds like exactly what you want (shouldn't you have asked him what he meant?).

3. johnk9159

johnk9159 Regular Kustomer

Perhaps you could suggest how I can do it, which is the purpose of my post.
    Thanks

4. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Could you scan the document as black and white instead of grey scale?

5. Flash

Flash Regular Kustomer

scan it in and run it through corel or photoshop it may take a few attempts to get it right

I don't mind having a go just drop me a pm

6. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

You also asked what the copy shop owner meant by cleaning up the document, but nevermind.

Okay, so first thing would be to scan it. Although you want it to end up in black and white, scanning it in colour initially might make it easier to work with (green is going to stand out more than grey). You can always change the image into greyscale or black and white in an image editor later on.

Your scanner (or the software for it) may have contrast settings which would allow you to darken the text (which is already black so can't get much darker) and wash out everything else to white. You will need to play with that to see what happens. If your scanner can't do it then an image editor can probably mess around with levels and contrast as well.

If not (or even if it does, as a final tidy up) you could attack the image with the Magnetic Lasso tool that's available in most picture editors (it selects areas of colour based on how similar they are). If you need picture editing software then Paint.NET (http://www.getpaint.net/) is free to download and fairly easy to use.

7. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

What they said. There are just two parts to it - first you can improve the situation by scanning with particular settings and then you can edit the image in a graphics package.

There are probably a few techniques you can try:

- Scanning in black and white may remove the paper colour but may also make the text look a bit unclear - worth trying as a first go.

- Scanning in greyscale and then adjusting the contrast or colour saturation should give you more fine control over text clarity.

- You could also scan in colour and then remove colours in the graphics software, but this would be more work.

I personally use GIMP as a graphics package (actually started using it in place of Adobe CS4 Photoshop when I had a Mac as Photoshop sucked).

8. thegreatpoobarr

thegreatpoobarr New Member

Is it simply black text on a green background? If so surely scanning in colour, importing to any image editing software and dropping out green altogether using RGB function would be fairly straight forward, no?