hot hot hot

Discussion in 'Cooling / Overclocking' started by Velkro, Apr 3, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Velkro

Velkro Kustomer

hey,

been having a lot of PC issues lately, mostly when playing Grid Autosport (does not seem to happen with BF4) where when playing my system just shuts down and is a bit of a mare to restart.

looking at temps it would seem that things are getting a little hot.

My ageing antec p180 case has seen better days and look to replace that soon, I have always felt airflow in that case has been a problem, but maybe that's just me. Currently using the following config of fans 1 x 120mm intake and 2 x 120mm exhaust case has been cleaned recently and fans are fairly new.

My i7 920 @ 3.4 runs at 50-55c at idle currently air cooled with a noctua NH-U12P which has been cleaned fairly recently.

gpu is an AMD 7850 Core Clock 1000 MHz Memory Clock 1250 MHz with the fan set to auto it idles with the fan at about 30% and the temp around 60c if the fan is set to 100% it drops to around 47c. fan set to 50% andsitting around 95c in bf4

As well as a change in case I was also thinking of replacing the cpu and gpu coolers. was thinking a hybrid for the cpu which looks fairly easy to fit but when it comes to replacing the cooler on the gpu I enter unknown territory for me. It, for me may just be easier paying to get the job done.

I know it is an older system and that I should be thinking of upgrading, but, I would still have a use for this current set up.

Open to suggestions :eek:

2. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

Those temperatures are certainly not cool. I have an Antec P182 and had some high-ish temps. I made one change which was to install a Corsair H60 water cooler for the CPU and the whole system is considerably cooler and very quiet too! I will definitely be using these kind of coolers for future builds.

3. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

While the machine is certainly worth keeping running I'd probably avoid spending money on it if at all possible. You could easily burn £100-200 trying to fix this (especially if you have to pay people to do it?) and really, what's it going to get you?

Aftermarket GPU coolers are often (not always) quite expensive so instead I would suggest reseating the standard one with new paste/pads. It's not rocket science really, much the same as a CPU cooler except you've got more contact points between the PCB and the cooler. Should be able to find guides for removing a 7850 cooler online pretty easily.

I'd probably also reseat the CPU cooler with new paste just in case.

I'd also double check that your overclock is stable. In fact I'd suggest removing it, at least for the sake of testing. First reason is that overheating and a bad overclock have similar symptoms, so if you set it back to stock and try your games again it might help diagnose that. Secondly an overclocked CPU will create more heat, so common sense would suggest removing the overclocking as that might be a factor in it running too hot.

4. Velkro

Velkro Kustomer

Appreciate the advice