Hosting Company

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Verbyl.Belch, May 13, 2008.

Share This Page

1. Verbyl.Belch

Verbyl.Belch Registered (Promoted)

Hi

I need a hosting company for a website to display my photos and perhaps a blog. So far i have seen Hostmonster.com, which seem to offer a great service relatively cheap, $7/mo (for 24month):

Unlimited Bandwidth.
    Hosting space.
    Unlimited domains.

I'm not sure if this is one of those hosting companys that promise the earth but actually don't deliver. The website wouldn't have high traffic so there may be a better hosting package/company suited to my needs.

Cheers

2. LSG501

LSG501 You can call me Levi

Now please note I have no experience with this company so can't say how good they are but on another forum they say they're pretty good.

000webhost they're free so at the very least could be worth a try :)

3. six5tring

six5tring Silent Kristian Konsumer

Check max file size. I had an unlimited everythng host but they didn't allow files over 4mb!

six

4. LSG501

I've just set up a test account on 000webhost (linky)
    You can compare it to my paid hosting here
    (note this is my work site so mods feel free to remove if you wish)
    php script for mailing seems to work fine too unlike my paid host - dealing with it again tomorrow!!!!!!
    000webhost has a php which is newer than my paid for host too :rolleyes:
    for php info click here

5. Verbyl.Belch

Thanks for that LSG501.

Definately looks like a good option for the short term (long-term if the max web space isn't too restrictive).

Don't suppose you could recommend a good company for domain name registration? It seems UK sites cost more than US sites 1£=1$ but i need a (non maxed out :eek:) credit card to pay on the US sites .

Cheers

6. LSG501

have a look at their paid for options too, seems reasonably priced to me.

As to domain registrar - don't do namesco (they charge 20 quid to renew but only 10 to buy but do admittedly have a nice control panel), fast host (doesn't seem to link into search engines) or 1&1 (worst control panel I've ever used) - my opinion.

For other opinions look at a thread I started here

7. Tom

Tom Merrrrrr

Steer clear of Namehog for you domains. Awful.

I can't fault the service of 34SP for hosting (been with them for years, even if it is just the base package) and any issues are usually minor and very quickly cleared-up. :)

Not sure if they'll do a package to your liking, but it's worth a look for good support.

8. Verbyl.Belch

Thank you for all your replies.

I'm going to go ahead and use Hostmonster to host and register my domain name. They have a very competitive hosting price ($6/mo for 12months) and will register my domain for free and include whois privacy protection. In addition, the people they have working on their Live Chat are extremely helpful.

Thanks once again.

9. Sub

Sub The cake is a lie!!

wow LSG you don't like the 1&1 control panel? i find it far better than alot? everything is pretty easy to get at and doesn't require alot of knowledge to admin'ify
    for cheap domain names
    namealerts.com is good

10. LSG501

Now admittedly I'm redirecting to a different host but compared with namesco its (in my view) completely illogical in its layout and methodology so to speak.
    With namesco I could just go in and set up (for example) my home ip as a web.domainname.co.uk affair where as with 1&1 I still haven't figured (edit: may have done so now) that out to this day :rolleyes:
    I ended up getting my domain host (luckily I'm on relatively good terms) to sort out the interface for me in the end initially :eek::(

Although having said that it does appear that they have improved them slightly since - still not as easy as namesco though.

11. Sub

Sub The cake is a lie!!

you just tell it what you want to point where lol i found it very easy but i'd deffinately like to see namesco to compare!

12. LSG501

here you go sub, gives you a rough idea but as this domain is doing a hidden redirect (the sites tucked up within my business one :))

As I said its all pretty simple and straight forward :cool:

Attached Files:

13. bob_struth

bob_struth It's a what????

I took domains out from 1 & 1 because of the crap control panel and poor packages on offer, moved all but one to freeparking.co.uk. They act as my domain registar while everything is hosted with Servage.net.

1 & 1, i would encourage my enemys to use..

14. Verbyl.Belch

Just an update.

I went ahead with hosting from hostmonster and now have my own website (smashedmeercat.com) for hosting photos.

Thanks for all the help and feel free to take a gander at my pics.

Cheers again.