Higher temps since previous board died on both air and water cooling.

Discussion in 'Cooling / Overclocking' started by dekadeka, Nov 7, 2015.

Share This Page

1. dekadeka

dekadeka Regular Kustomer

Board is a Z97, the last one broke so got a identical replacement under warranty, in same case with same components (though graphics card did die got another the same)

First tried a 212 Evo with the stock paste, temps were about 5 degrees higher than the water cooling so assumed it was just because it was air and stock paste, and had more tiny spikes i.e instead of a solid temp went up and down about 5 degrees which I know is normal but didnt happen on my old system as much.

Then tried my new water cooler(scraped off stock pasted and used mx-4) only difference is I could only fit 1 fan to the radiator.

The temps were the same as the air cooler if not a degree or two hotter but almost no tiny spikes i.e temps only went about 2 max 3 degrees from the base temp at idle and played a few hd movies on it and temps never changed.

Strangely though the graphics card runs 5 degrees cooler which may suggest better airflow in the pc.

But still struggling to find out why the temps are a few degrees hotter than before, I even tried opening windows so its cold in room.

Yes I know before people said its more the load temps than anything else but still it seems strange,

2. Ninjagordy

Ninjagordy Winner of The Game (UJFL)

You probably have not fitted the cooler properly or need to re-seat it and re-do the MX-4 , which water cooler are you using??

3. dekadeka

dekadeka Regular Kustomer

I realised after I posted that maybe it could be as the single fan I have on it is pulling air away from the radiator so no fan blowing through the radiator.

Also the radiator itself feels very cool to touch as in I cant feel any heat at all and my old cooler used to always feel warm.

I did chance the bios settings to fans full on which was the settings my old board had.

I think I heard somewhere this cooler has a weaker pump too than my old one with was a Eisberg 120, new one is H80i GT.

Finally going back to the pipe idea, it doesnt matter if side of case is off or not temps are the same, but I notice if I move the rubber pipes to a different angle literally isntantly I get about 3 degrees cooler but I cant keep it at that angle due to the flex bending it back to old angle.