HD camcorder recommendations?

Discussion in 'Technology / Gadget Forum' started by brumster, Aug 30, 2011.

Share This Page

1. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

I'm toying with the idea of getting an HD-enabled camcorder for general use but am a bit kerfuddled by all the models which seem to have very little separating them...

My first thought is to sell our Canon 40D and upgrade to a 60D. Then we have an SLR that can do both jobs - stills and 1080 video - and make use of the various lenses I've amassed over the years. I like the idea of retaining my selection of spare batteries that I already have for the 40D (assuming the 60D keeps the same type). Only one thing puts me off - the mono audio recording. Anyone used one - just how bad is it?

So fallback option is to buy a 2nd dedicated camcorder for HD. This means price needs to be no more than £250; £300 max. I'm worried that this doesn't really buy anything near the quality of the 60D but it will at least be smaller - but the battery life on some of them seems atrocious, and at £40 a battery I can't afford to buy 2 additional batteries to take with me everywhere. Maybe the audio aspect isn't so much to worry about on the 60D?

Any thoughts?
    Main criteria :-
    - Record to solid state
    - HD
    - Do a good 1hr of real recording on 1 battery
    - Practical enough that we will WANT to use it (is lugging a 60D around for the occasional family video practical?)

2. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

Went to Jessops.
    Tried one in the hand.
    All good.
    Ordered.
    (Off eBay, certainly not from Jessops at their prices!)
    Case closed. Thanks for the advice :)