Hazard Perception.

Discussion in 'Cars / Bikes' started by Sajuuk Kahr, Sep 10, 2009.

Share This Page

1. Sajuuk Kahr

Sajuuk Kahr Kustom Addict

Hey there, I'm dong my driving lessons just now and i bought a disk a while ago that had pretty much all the theory covered.

Anyway i've been doing my hazard perception videos on it and i was getting a low score.

My original plan was to click for anything that could be a potential threat and then if it became one then i'd got it already.

I told my intstructer and he told me i was doing the right thing but when it turns into a real threat then i was to click again and maybe once more if it's still there.

So i did this and the disk started sying i was cheating.

So i dug up the stuff on it and as it turns out i've to just click it for anything as soon as it becomes a threat and thats it, and i score more points depending on how early i get it. i've been doing this since and my scores went from weak to excellent.

My question is...

Is this how it's done in the test centre or is my instructer right and my disk wrong?

2. latency

latency Existentialist

Those training discs are very accurate to the real thing. It's a daft test for the reasons that you've stated- you have to guess when you're clicking too early :rolleyes:

But your last paragraph is correct:

Do that in the real thing and you'll be fine.

3. Sajuuk Kahr

Sajuuk Kahr Kustom Addict

Just back from my driving lesson and he's given me a different disk to do which he said i should have a better score at so i'll give that a god tonight and let you know how it's going. Thanks for the advice.

4. johngraham

johngraham Registered User

Hi,

In hazard perception test Each scoring window is divided into five equal segments and a score of five through to one allocated to each. Those responding in the first segment of the scoring window will score 5 and those in last segment a score of 1. Responses outside the window will score zero.

If you click the mouse while in the first segment (i.e. just as the developing hazard appears) you will obtain the maximum score of 5 points. If you click in the second segment of this window of time you will score 4 points, then 3, then 2 and then in the last segment just 1. This is accurate to one twenty fifth of a second.

If you click the mouse button (this is how you inform the computer that you have seen a hazard) too early, before the potential hazard becomes what the DSA term a “developing hazard”. Your score will be 0. Therefore to ensure you get a maximum score in the hazard perception test challenge, you should fully understand the DSA term “developing hazard” as opposed to “potential hazard”

If you click several times during this window of time the computer will always take your highest score and record that for that particular clip.
    If you don’t click the mouse button in this window of time you will score nothing in respect to that hazard.
    If lots of unnecessary responses are made in a very short space of time, or throughout the clip, a zero score will recorded for that clip.
    So try to avaid unnecessory clicks on the clips.