has anyone thought of this before?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Beatdown, May 13, 2008.

Share This Page

1. jesush++

jesush++ Insert witty comment here

Ahh, but how quick does it do 0 - 88 mph?

Ill get my coat, its the one with the flux capacitor in the pocket :p

2. kb0iic

kb0iic Banned

Reply to Forthy: I see... I guess you get a lot of spam that gives actual model numbers of hardware in racks. Heh. Normally when I join a forum I don't say hello. I jump right in. No need for hellos. Hehe, and spammers don't usually start out greetings with "Arrrr, ye mateys!", or use their amateur radio callsign for their nickname. Muahahaha.

To Sixstring:

I already explained why I have that many UPS's. The idea of the UPS is to prepare the system to be shutdown in a voltage loss condition. When you have your computers on, and then the voltage all of a sudden disappears you get dangerous spikes in the circuits and components. If you don't buy a power supply with decent undervoltage protection it will become worse and may cause damage. It isn't overkill because each main machine gets a line conditioner, backup battery, and their own circuit.

Since the building received new stationary transformer at the ground and not on the pole, the power stability has been much better here, especially during storms. As far as when the power will go out... that depends on who cooks with their 1.21 Gigawatt microwave at any time. Also, the desktop consumes about 350 to 470W of power depending on if I'm using SLI or not in games. It needs its own UPS.

What's over kill is when every time a storm or a neighbor or family member overloads a circuit and that causes a component to be replaced. Protect your circuits! If it doesn't kill anything that time, eventually it'll kill it, also the life of that product may substantially be reduced even if not destroyed.

Like I said, I don't like my machines to be turned off unexpectedly. They need to go through a proper routine.
    Weird things can happen when you shutdown equipment at load.
    Same things go with trains, planes, and automobiles.

I can put my desktop, powermac, dvd player, and audio receiver all on one UPS, and that means less run time in a power outtage. Also, it means I'll be hitting close to the 865W max limit the UPS can handle.

I put all unnecessary devices on the outlets not reserved for battery backup, too. The UPS's make a nice unit for extra outlets from the wall with no battery protection, yet they have surge protection, line conditioning, etc. Usually each UPS will have the machine's PSU connected to the battery outlet, and nothing else unless I feel like the monitor should be plugged in, but I usually don't bother with the monitor.

I distribute everything properly. That's why I only need 6 UPSs for what I got. The only machine in this place without a UPS is the Sun Ultra 60!

William

3. Westy5

Westy5 Space

Wow, who got out of bed the wrong side today? :eek:

Normally, when people join here we consider it polite for them to introduce themselves.

Anyway, it's not me you've been rude to, but I still think you're attitude won't be winning friends here...:rolleyes:

4. LSG501

LSG501 You can call me Levi

yep got to agree with Forthy and Westy5, not exactly doing yourself any favours kb0iic (couldn't you have picked a nice name people can remember :rolleyes:). As much as we all disagree from time to time we atleast try to do it without an attitude and I've seen spam started with pirate talk due to the 'pirate' day junk that was earlier in the year.

And don't forget the mods are here to make sure we don't get any of the annoying spam links, and for what its worth, I'd rather have a few non spambot links removed (due to personal judgement on a noob) than have a new spam thread every day :D

5. Beatdown

Beatdown Super Kustomer

wow, i never meant to spark such a heated debate.

so.... anyone know of a ups that will sit in a hdd bay?

i dont see why there isnt one, after all. laptops must utilise this 'ups' gizmo to an extent if not fully.

6. jesush++

jesush++ Insert witty comment here

Laptops dont have a UPS, but Windows can determine battery level, and hence does a clean shutdown before battery runs out.

A UPS is generally designed to identify that there is no mains current, and either A) replace it with its own battery until it either runs out, or current is restored B) Signal windows to say that current has been lost, and it should shutdown.

The machines I work on all have UPS attached to them, but they wont maintain current, the software i work on interfaces with a UPS so we can control when to shutdown, as it would be bad to let windows decide.

The smallest UPS ive seen wouldnt fit in a HDD caddy, and any UPS worth anything, wont, as it has to be sufficiently large to hold a battery :)

7. jsnemesis

jsnemesis Super Kustomer

That guys setup seems totally excessive! In a domestic setup, there is almost no need for that amount of kit to protect his equipment.

I can maybe understand that you may have quite a few power outs in the US, especially during summer, but even still the damage that can be done by lightening/shorts or even large machines operating on the same line can be reduced by a surge protector. And they tend to come with ridiculous warranties, should they fail the company will reimburse you.

Incedently, PSU designs generally have protection circuits built in, further reducing Voltage & current spikes.

Each to their own I guess.

8. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

I'll grab my phone and take a pic of mine. I think mine is kinda smallish. brb.

9. LSG501

You won't because a battery that fits in a hdd bay would last all of about 30seconds :rolleyes:

10. LSG501

there isn't any because a battery that fits in a hdd would last all of about 30 seconds :rolleyes:

I currently have 2x1200W UPS and 2x650W UPS for my setup below. Mainly due to the old house having useless powerlines and major brownouts but also as they give me a nice total of 20 power sockets, which just covers my needs and they're all covered by the UPS warranty :)
    I'll also probably get another one at some point if/when I get another pc.

11. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

12. Beatdown

Beatdown Super Kustomer

so can we not rig a laptop battery into a pc?

13. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

I might be possible is you spread the load between them. Desktops are normally more powerful that laptops. To give you an idea that server has a 350w PSU but probably uses about 120w. My laptop has a 65w PSU.

Also laptop batteries supply 12V IIRC where as a UPS supplies 240v so you would have to wire up the battery somewhere between the PSU and components.

14. Berzerkula

Berzerkula Registered User

These are now at:

https://www.berzerkula.org/Rack Project/Pages/33.html
    https://www.berzerkula.org/Rack Project/Pages/29.html