has anyone thought of this before?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Beatdown, May 13, 2008.

Share This Page

1. Beatdown

Beatdown Super Kustomer

picture this.

your sitting at your desktop doing some important work, when all of a sudden the power cuts out. you loose EVRYTHING you were working on.

IF you were sitting at your laptop doing some important work, when all of a sudden the power cuts out. all is FINE

i was thinking, why havent i heard of a desktop battery!?

one that would last laong enough for you to save all your work?

just sitting in an empty hdd bay bothering no one.

2. jsnemesis

jsnemesis Super Kustomer

3. Beatdown

Beatdown Super Kustomer

WOW! thank you very much! i had no idea of such a device!

now.... i must find out if there are any small enough to fint INSIDE a desktop computer,

could possibly run off of the main powersupply, 'filtering' power from the psu into the components. when a power cut strikes nothing is affected

like this

wallsocket --> PSU --> 5.25 UPS --> components

4. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

I have a cheap UPS on my server. Power goes and the server keeps going for up to about 20 mins. Cos it's a cheap one it just cuts the power when it runs out instead of shutting the server down.

Edit: I can't believe I wrote a response and forgot to press enter until an hour later. Damn you tabs!

Edit2: The UPS supplies 240v @ 50Hz so it would go
    wall socket > UPS > PSU> PC components.

I'll see if I have a pic of my server and UPS, if not i'll take one tomorrow to give you an idea of size.

5. LSG501

LSG501 You can call me Levi

didn't it come with any software, can't the os make use of it, my belkin one works (very basic) without software in windows but to get the best I use the software supplied.

6. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

7. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy Obey Him

You will need a UPS for your monitor too unless your fortunate enough to be only using one doc and happen to have it selected at the time, allowing you to press ctrl + S ;)

8. jacobzcoool

jacobzcoool Chav Hunter

Or you can put your computer into hibernate mode while not seeing any display ;)

9. six5tring

six5tring Silent Kristian Konsumer

I just use a belkin thing with 3 UPS sockets and 3 normal sockets. Works a treat!

six

10. Mojo

Mojo Crazy Foo'

HAHA thats has to be the least utilised newtork equipment I have ever seen 72 network ports and he is using about 5 with the tiniest wee network cable wired in to the air! :D

11. six5tring

12. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

I think one or two of these switches have Ethernet sockets on the back as well. Double fronted as it were.

13. kb0iic

kb0iic Banned

Arrrr ye mateys,

For the rack I use 3 UPS's.

The APC 1500's go each to a power supply in the Sun A1000 and Sun E420R.

Each UPS is on a separate circuits. Does no good if both power supplies are fed power from the same circuit. I think quite a few people end up doing that, even though they want redundancy.

The third UPS goes to the router, switches, cable modem, and wireless access point.

In my other room, I have a UPS for other things, a UPS for the desktop, and another UPS, for my receiver, vcr, dvd player, etc.

I've had UPSs for a few years and when I need more capacity I end up using the smaller ones for something else.

Also, replace your batteries every two years. Lead acid batteries don't last much after 2 years. Don't be caught short.

The rack has a Cisco 3620 router, 2950 switch and 3524XL-PWR switch.

Have fun with everything!

William

14. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

He's my friend. The picks we've been talking about in this thread are his computers. He didn't mean to post anything as spam. It's just you got to it before I got to him.

15. kb0iic

kb0iic Banned

You have some strange way of deciding if my post was spam or not. First off, if you even bothered looking at my registration info you'd see my web site is the same as Cosmo posted above. Also, I was talking about the rack that is in those pictures cause it is my rack. Lastly, the link is a place to get batteries not drugs, cell phones, a free computer where you sign your life away. Do you bother checking anything out before you cut out links? Not a very good way to go, especially when Cosmo led me to this place. Now when someone wants to know of a good place to get batteries they'll just see:
    "".

Now I'm posting off topic. Sorry I even posted a reply and registered.

16. saltynay

saltynay Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

Forthy doesn't mean any harm, this forums is run by a computer shop and only manufacturers links are allowed not competitive sites :D. If you need an item just email Graeme and he can source an item for you.

17. Sharky

Sharky Oh No...

The guy lives in America you plank

18. jsnemesis

jsnemesis Super Kustomer

How come so many UPS's? Is it a business project?

19. kb0iic

kb0iic Banned

I have that many UPSs because I reuse what is not needed anymore. Instead of tossing the UPS, I replace the batteries and then recycle the batteries. Even if the batteries are stated by the manufacturer that they are not user replaceable units, I replace them anyways because it isn't that hard to do. Then, after that is done, I find a use for the UPS that sits idle. I have a dual p3 that I use for Linux From Scratch, and Cross Linux From Scratch things, just so I have an x86 machine around for it, so it'll use the same UPS the Powermac is on. I don't like computers shutting down, for example, when neighbors fire up their 1.21 Gigawatt microwave and nuke some food! Yes this building has house circuits which are shared by about 4 rooms, they also have separate circuits for Air Conditioning and some other things, so I tie into those for my UPS's whenever possible. But I have at least one UPS on each house circuit, I have two of those circuits in each room. It does okay for the most part, as long as people don't plug in their air conditioning units to those circuits, and plug them into the A/C circuits that were installed for that purpose.

The server and array require 2 UPS,s cause they have redundant systems. This is for home use. I've been experimenting with industrial grade equipment and wanted to get my hands dirty in my idle time.

If my server goes down, because the UPSs died on it for any reason, I want the network to be kept up. The network system uses a different UPS. If the network goes down, I don't want that to shutdown my server either. Minimize down time, that's why I have 3 UPSs for the rack.

The desktop, no way I wouldn't have a UPS on it. So that makes 4.
    Not very many if you ask me.

And the Dual G5 Powermac, better have a UPS for it, too!

The other stuff, had two extra UPSs left from various projects, might as well use them!

All in all I have this for total capacity:

3 1500VA: 4500VA
    3 800VA: 2400VA
    ----------------
    6 UPS: 6900VA

Not a whole lot if you ask me. Plenty of room for upgrading!

Also I wouldn't have my Dual G5 Powermac hooked up with out a UPS, either!

20. six5tring

Do you have a lot of power cuts or something then! Can understand a UPS on the server(s) but everthing else seems overkill!

six