Hard drive failure - why can't I re-install Windows 7 for free?

Discussion in 'Software' started by johnk9159, Feb 18, 2017.

Share This Page

1. johnk9159

johnk9159 Regular Kustomer

After replacing a hard drive which has failed, should I not have the right to re-install Windows for free? I've just replaced a HD in my Presario CQ58 but had to make do with Linux Mint as I'm in no mood to pay a high price for Wndows.

Thanks for reading

2. Epicness 357

Epicness 357 Regular Kustomer

You can install windows 10 for free, except that you will have a watermark in the bottom right. You can not get windows 7 free though.

3. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

You can reinstall windows on the same computer for free. If you bought it from a shop it should have a license key sticker on it somewhere (I think).

4. johnk9159

johnk9159 Regular Kustomer

Thank you. The laptop does have a license key sticker on it but as the machine is about four years old I'm guessing it will not be eligible.
    Also, I'm struggling how to get Windows 10 for free.

5. Epicness 357

Epicness 357 Regular Kustomer

You need a second PC (maybe ask a friend to use theirs) and a USB drive. (I recommend 8gb) Then download the USB installer tool and format the USB drive before installing windows ten on it using the other PC. Next plug it into your laptop (with the new hard drive in it) and as it turns on you will somewhere see the button to open the boot menu. Press the button and wait for it to go into the menu. Select your USB drive and press enter. Now go through the normal windows ten installation, except that when it asks for the product key, just click continue.