guide to raid 0

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blackstar, Aug 13, 2003.

Share This Page

1. mike.gascoigne

mike.gascoigne That costs how much?

You havnt raided 2 drives together in RAID 0 and then created a partition on them aswell have you, if you have this can bugger things up.

If you RAID the drives together (RAID0) dont do anything else to them at all.

If you want storage space/seperate partition/drive, install another HDD

2. stdRaichu

stdRaichu Reincarnated User

Why should partitioning a RAID array muck things up? If an array falls over when it's partitioned I'd say the controller is broken.

3. Fireblade

Fireblade Mental Modder[ator]!!

Crikey Mike... long forgotten threads, or what :confused: The last post in here before yours yesterday, was November '04 :eek: I'm pretty sure whatever was the topic of conversation at the time, has been resolved/forgotten about now :D

Anyways... I agree wi' StdRaichu in regard to partitioning a RAID array. My two Lian-Li PC70's ('Fire & Ice') are both RAID 0'd - each having 2x 120GB WD JB SE's in 'em. Both have been partitioned... and both rigs have been running fine for over three years now ;)

4. mike.gascoigne

mike.gascoigne That costs how much?

5. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

Oh yeah, old thread. My RAID card could be faulty and yes I did partition, so those are the likely options. The RAID card functions perfectly as a DMA133 controller though. I'm not using it anymore and have since got an mGuru motherboard with built in RAID and SATA (only put 1xRaptor 74GB in so far...). Onwards and upwards!

6. TyranT

TyranT Regular Kustomer

Cool thread on raid - i wonder if you couldnt help me out with this issue:

I installed two lovely Maxator10's 2x200 Gig and i am running them on raid 0.

Now my pc boots up in around 10'secs but shuting down takes ages and i mean ages. The monitor goes off xp is shut down but the drives and fans etc are still spinning for a good 2 minutes afterwards,,, this only started after i started using the new drives

Any clues?
    :cool:

7. Fuzz

Fuzz Working 2 Hard!

Quick question guys.

If my strip size is set to 32K what size should the clusters be set to?

Should I set them to half the strip size i.e. 16K, double the stripe size i.e. 64K, or the same as the strip size i.e. 32K

Many Thanks.

8. g3RC4n

g3RC4n 100% british beef

i thought that raid isn't effective anymore, and that it only really made a differnce with the old hard drives, and that the fact that you're more likley to loose all your data than half out weights the advantage

don't get me wrong, i had 2 X 74 gb raptores in raid 0 a few years ago, but when i rebooted my computer i took it off, and i didn't notice any change

9. Spectre

Spectre New Member

I've got a RAID 0 Array, software based and its brill :D, no problems at all :D :cool:

10. Fireblade

Fireblade Mental Modder[ator]!!

What you've also got Spectre... is a signature which is just one line short of being twice the size permitted by our 'Signature Size' rules :rolleyes:

I'd therefore advise you to amend it to conform to the rules ASAP... and further suggest you acquaint yourself with all our forum rules - lest you incur the wrath of the Super-MODs, if you drop yourself in it again :eek:

11. azhar5i

azhar5i azhar

yeah really good stuff, useful informations and much more ideas.....

thanks all

12. nicky munchkin

nicky munchkin Nick is not responding...

Hmm just read this, definately useful.

BTW you need to remove that link from your sig as your a potential competitor to kustom pcs.

13. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Here is a diagram of different RAID setup.s
    [​IMG]

14. Encore

Encore -= Hot Glue Black Tape =-

backup backup backup backup backup

Just thought I'd better add that, never trust a stripe with anything other than operating system! When one drive fails, you loose 50% of everything on the stripe so you best make sure its nothing your can't re-install.

15. Sajuuk Kahr

Sajuuk Kahr Kustom Addict

Hey there

I'm about to set upo my first raid array in a few days but i'm not sure about the strip sizes.

I'm using 2 1tb samsung f3's and the computers mainly going to be used for gaming as well as the usual watching films/downloads/music.

I'm only really bothered about performance however when it comes to the gaming and general system usage.

The guide said to use a disk analyser to find the most common size of file but i've got both drives empt and nothing really to measure.

Does anyone know what the stripe size should be?

I was thinking 64kb but i'm not 100%.

Thanks from a raid 0 noob

16. latency

latency Existentialist

Honestly, if you're not raiding for performance or reliability, then don't raid at all.

Raiding for convenience is very inconvenient, because the drives aren't legible outside the array- which is a bit of a problem for recovery if you don't have a proper backup.

17. Sajuuk Kahr

Sajuuk Kahr Kustom Addict

It's not for reliability, i know the risks of losing everything on both drives if one goes down.

I've got all my stuff properly backed up regularly. my first reason is just experimenting with raid and second is that if i get a good bit of performance out of it then even better.

18. latency

latency Existentialist

Yea, you won't get any performance gains unless you're using a high-end controller.

Personally I hate installing windows, so I like computers that are set up to be very recoverable... but if you do windows re-installs all the time, it makes no different really...