guide to raid 0

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blackstar, Aug 13, 2003.

Share This Page

1. Deton8or

Deton8or Kustom Monkeh!

been thinkin about it a bit more and i'd probably just run operating system and programs on there and keep big movie files on a seperate drive.
    So what would be the best stripe size for general operating system (XP pro if that makes n e difference!:) )

2. blackstar

blackstar Regular Kustomer

that depends on the size of the files on there. i use 64k for my operating system drive.

one way to accelerate the most files on a partition is to use disk defragmentor's "analyse" function on that partition, and that will tell you the average file size.

feed that into the "stripesize calculator" i made in vbasic, and it will suggest a size for you :)

3. Deton8or

Deton8or Kustom Monkeh!

wheres your stripesize calculator?

these are my analysis results anyway - what would you suggest?

Volume 120GB HD (F:)
    Volume size = 112 GB
    Cluster size = 4 KB
    Used space = 64.16 GB
    Free space = 47.62 GB
    Percent free space = 42 %

Volume fragmentation
    Total fragmentation = 5 %
    File fragmentation = 11 %
    Free space fragmentation = 0 %

File fragmentation
    Total files = 78,090
    Average file size = 1 MB
    Total fragmented files = 1,766
    Total excess fragments = 10,175
    Average fragments per file = 1.13

Pagefile fragmentation
    Pagefile size = 1.50 GB
    Total fragments = 1

Folder fragmentation
    Total folders = 4,962
    Fragmented folders = 18
    Excess folder fragments = 31

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
    Total MFT size = 100 MB
    MFT record count = 84,038
    Percent MFT in use = 81 %
    Total MFT fragments = 3

:)

4. blackstar

quite big files there. is that drive F:/, the one with video files on?

if you want to accelerate large files, say for video editing, use the largest stripe size you have :)

if you want to accelerate your operating system files, use either 32k or 64k.

if you want to accelerate the majority of files on that partition (based on your 1MB average file size)
    id say go for the biggest stripe size your controller allows, up to 512k :)

5. Deton8or

Deton8or Kustom Monkeh!

yeah i got like loads of 700mb+ movies and about 10gb of mp3's which will be on a different drive if i run raid. so i am guessin i am goin for 64k for operating system only. This is when i make myself buy the drives! :)

6. blackstar

prolly a good plan :)
    doesnt take many files to "skew" the results does it? :)

i get overall better results with my OS drive using 64k, i use ATTO disk benchmark and Sandra for comparisons.. imo, ATTO is a good piece of software for benchmarking different RAID sizes (it shows you the read/ write speed on different file sizes). you could use Ghost or another backup prog to take a snapshot of your drives, and try several different stripe sizes and compare performance with ATTO to get the best size for you.

ill add a link to it to the FAQ :)

7. Deton8or

Deton8or Kustom Monkeh!

k cheers

i'll probably come back 2 the topic once i have bought the drives and find out more! :)

By the way, what kinda sized drives do you think i should use. I was looking at 2 x 80gb western digital 7200rpm 8mb cache drives but then thinkin about it, it seems a hell of alot for operating system and programs hehe

also sata drives, do they raid in the same way?

8. blackstar

youve got two SATA RAID connectors, each one supports one drive :)

edit - heres the app btw http://www.athlon-unlock.co.uk/raid/stripeSizeCalculator.exe

SATA drives do RAID exactly the same, easier really as you dont have to worry about setting jumpers etc.

about size - depends how much space you need, i suppose :D
    i use 2 x 160GB/s, the only two drives in there (i use them for everything).
    when i get time and £, id like to add another 200GB for backup :)

9. Deton8or

Deton8or Kustom Monkeh!

but having large files on raid with small stripes would slow down the whole thing? or just those files?

10. blackstar

it wouldnt slow anything else down.. its just that the big files wouldnt be as accelerated as much as they would normally :)

if you did the opposite thing (massive stripes), your smaller files wouldnt be accelerated as much, and youd get more disk wastage :)

11. Fuzz

Fuzz Working 2 Hard!

Need some advice guys.
    I'm gonna be building a raid 0 array using 2 raptors (hopefully!) but was just wondering which connection would give me the best results in terms of speed.

My mobo is a Asus P4C800-E Deluxe which as most of you are aware allows you to have upto 3 individual raid setups.

SATA Raid1 (via Intel ICH5R Southbridge.)

SATA Raid2 (via Onboard Promise controller.)

UDMA133 Raid (via Onboard Promise controller.)

I know that the SATA raids will be faster then the UDMA connection, but which of the 2 SATA connections should I use?

Should I use the ICH5R southbridge or the promise controller?

Thanks in advance!

12. blackstar

nice thing about RAID arrays is that they arent controller specific - so, you could install and run on one SATA controller, then unplug and test on the other..

I'd run ATTO and check the CPU usage as well on both controllers :)

13. Fuzz

Fuzz Working 2 Hard!

thanks!

also have you got a new link for that stripe calculator?
    the one at the top doesn't seem to work.

Thanks again!

14. blackstar

15. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

Strange RAID 0 problems!

Hi there

I have been finding all of this info very useful and have just set my RAID 0 up without any problems to start with.

After a few days of usage though, every time I start or reboot my PC, I get a screen telling me that XP needs to check the consistency of drive F:

This happens consistently (no pun intended).

I bought an SI RAID ATA/133 PCI card and an 80GB WD Caviar 8MB buffer to match the one I already had.

The only problem I can see is that one drive is newer and has a different firmware. One reports ATAPI 6 and the other ATAPI 5 which doesn't seem to good.

Would I be right in thinking I need to get another new drive?

Thanks in advance... :confused:

16. blackstar

F:/ is just a partition on your RAID array?

I dont think firmware should cause a problem - but if you're not sure, email WD and ask if they can send you the latest Firmware and flash program..

Try checking the disk in Windows.. that partition..

Can you backup the contents of F:/ on another partition or DVD drive, and format the partition - full proper format? I would try that, definately.

If you're running overclocked, try running at stock for a while (if you dont have a locked PCI bus especially).

I had something very similar happen to mine, after i b0rked windows - it kept doing the same as yours.. I was overclocking and bios flashing etc (bored) and the machine crashed several times - apparently enough to corrupt windows and that partition. At least its not your C:/ :)

Glad the guide was useful to you :) keep us posted about your problem with this array.

17. Samsonite

F: is a 50GB partition.

I am wondering if overheating is a problem as I have used up all my PCI slots with various things! I have just ordered a couple of extra case fans, an exhaust fan and an ATI cooler/silencer (they were all quite cheap).

I am running everything at stock settings. I have an old AMD Athlon 2000 XP which still seems to work well with the Radeon.

I will tell you what happens when my stuff arrives, and I'll email WD about firmware.

Thanks for the info :)

18. Samsonite

I got my various bits of hardware and tried them out...

I've got plenty of cooling equipment in there now and the system temperature is about 35*C and the CPU 49*C so that seems OK.

Still having problems, so decided to get another of the drives I had just bought to make them identical in every way - same problem again! Entire folders were going missing so it was time for action :eek:

The drives are quite far apart so airflow should be good.

I decided to use my RAID card just as an ATA 133 card with 2 separate drives to see if the card has a major fault - no problems so far.

The only good news is that my motherboard only has ATA 100 so there is still a performance increase from the RAID card (£10 not wasted :) ).

Bad news is that the Arctic cooler I put on my Radeon takes up a PCI slot so I don't have USB 2.0 any more (that's the only card I could take out really).

A new motherboard with: USB 2.0, network & RAID would probably be a sensible option, but it is a pain :mad:

At least I can use my PC again...

19. Fireblade

Fireblade Mental Modder[ator]!!

Going slightly OT (this is a RAID thread after all :D), but...

Does yer mobo not have native USB 2.0 support Samsonite, coz you could just buy an external USB 2.0 hub :confused:

A basic 4-port USB 2.0 hub costs just a few quid... or you could splash out on a more expensive Belkin one ;)

20. Samsonite

Unfortunately my mobo and CPU are nearly 3 years old (so no USB 2.0 support onboard) - I might upgrade soon but I can run Far Cry @ 1024x768 in full detail, so doesn't seem necessary yet! I'll change my sig to show my setup - might make more sense when I ask technical questions!

:)