Got Rift?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thegreatpoobarr, Jan 25, 2018.

Share This Page

1. thegreatpoobarr

thegreatpoobarr New Member

I've been looking to get onboard with the current crop of VR for quite some time now and currently find myself in a position to pickup a Rift. I would have liked the Vive, but the extra cost pushes it just outside the reach of what I can justify. I know there's currently (or at least there was) one in the shop, anyone else rocking one at the moment?

I've been told I'd want to pickup (at least) a third sensor, for room scale, and probably a usb card and HDMI extender. Any other advice?

2. DexDiner

DexDiner Gumpcom Survivor

I'm using a USB 3.0 hub for my sensors.

USB 3.0 extension/repeater. Either use it along with your HDMI extension for the rift or to extend the cabling to your hub for the sensors.

Check the space above your head, I've hit my lights a few times.

Graphics cards - most rift capable cards only have a single HDMI socket, make sure this is used for the rift and your monitor is connected by other means.

3. thegreatpoobarr

thegreatpoobarr New Member

Went ahead and picked one up the other day, 40 quid off form John Lewis too as it had been an unopened return - Score!

Setup all fine and dandy with no extra cabling and no issues with cable reach, but I grabbed a USB 3.0 extension from Graeme today to ghetto rig it for 360 use with the two sensors whilst I sort out a third. Then I'll just use the extension to allow the third to reach over behind me.

How high do you have the sensors placed? I've got 3.5m of headroom to play with, I was contemplating mounting them high up.

4. DexDiner

DexDiner Gumpcom Survivor

I'm using the usb extension so I can sit my pair of sensors in front of me and sit the pc behind me so I'm not tripping over the rift cabling.
    I can't really advise on sensor height placement, I'm setup for room scale in my living room and the setup is far from good as the sensors are sitting on the floor (I think they're too low but placing them higher is an issue for me just now).