Good DHCP lease time for gaming?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Spartan 117, Jul 13, 2013.

Share This Page

1. Spartan 117

Spartan 117 Regular Kustomer

My router is set at 1 hour lease time default I game online a lot every time the lease comes to an end and starts again would I disconnect then reconnect? And what is a good lease time to have for gamers I can have a minimum of 1 hour and a maximum of 21 days.

2. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

May as well set it to the maximum, you're very unlikely to run out of local IP addresses.

3. phil2715

phil2715 Registered + Sale

Wouldn't it be even better to just use a reservation against your MAC address to ensure it never needs renewing?

4. latency

latency Existentialist

I'd just set it to a year or something like that. DHCP will reset if the router is restarted, which is going to happen now and then anyway.

As Archaon said, you're unlikely to run out of addresses before the next router reboot.

DHCP lease times are only important when there are a lot of different computers coming and going from the network, such as a public wifi hotspot- when the IP addresses need to be freed up for reuse as soon as possible.

5. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

isn't the OP talking about the external IP address rather than internal?? (he's talking about online gaming).

thus, local IP addresses are irrelevant here.

6. latency

latency Existentialist

This is a reference to this thread, where his laptop keeps dropping wireless.

It sounds like the DHCP lease is expiring, and not getting auto-renewed, which I see occasionally.

He's set a long DHCP lease, and re-installed wireless drivers, and it sounds like one of those actions has solved it.