Good aftermarket GPU cooler

Discussion in 'Cooling / Overclocking' started by plucker, Oct 3, 2014.

Share This Page

1. plucker

plucker New Member

Hey guys.

Currently running an old 9800gt 512mb card in my core 2 duo pc..
    and i know from the past that these cards cook very easily..
    So i bought an aftermarket cooler for £25..

and OMG, how awesome it is..

Its a Gelid Icy Vision Rev 2...

tbh i really wasnt expecting much from it, but i knew it would atleast be better than stock cooler.. Just keep it cool enough to overclock a little to be able to play BF3 at playable FPS..

Well..
    Stock clocks are: 625 core, 940 memory.
    Idled at 55c with stock cooler..
    and hitting 80+c under load, using unigine heaven (i backed out once it hit 80c)

fitted the Gelid cooler.. which contains 2x 92mm fans etc..

idle temps are now. 28c..
    im now overclocking, letting GPU tool do the clocks for me :D
    im currently overclocking the core (as im writing this)..
    the core clock is currently sitting at 1300mhz, and still stable, and gradually going up..
    and temps??? not budging off 48C under 100% load :D

Will give full overclock details once its done.. and temps :D

im very impressed.. 1300mhz core, from 625 stock!!!

2. plucker

plucker New Member

update:

the stock bios had a core clock cap on it.. so i found a suitable bios from an EVGA card off the internet.. messed around with it in NiBiTor.. bumped up voltage steps. 4th step to 1.15v etc...
    flash it to the card..

1320mhz core clock.. was final stable clock..
    memory only budged up around 40mhz from stock though..
    temps never even hit 50c, even under 100% load, stability testing for over an hour..
    fan speed never going above 40%.. so super quiet :D

stuff the 700mhz max clock's that are regularly seen around the internet about 9800gt's..
    1320mhz from a 9800gt 512mb card... its just stupid..

flashed the overclock to the bios.. and she runs beautifully :D

3. plucker

plucker New Member

OK, update.. Proved a little more effective to lower Core clocks, to be able to raise Memory clocks a bit more.. It was proving that bumping memory clocks were giving more effective changes in performance in games for me..

But i still managed to hit a respectable core clock too.. Definately not common at all across the internet... Ive yet to hear of, or see a 9800gt 512mb card, hit 1ghz or more or core clock!!!!

Now, before you go pointing out issues about the short amount of time displayed, of no errors.. but i have checked and checked and checked this clock for stability numerous times, using different softwares... So i know its fine.. :D

I am chuffed to hit these sort of clocks on a reference board 9800gt, and a budget cooler add-on..

so my card is now clocked at over 1ghz on each, the core and memory :D

and as you see, in the picture.. not even close to 50c temp, under 100% load...

[​IMG]

4. Bryanese

Bryanese Tasted LAN and liked it.

'Sup, GamerDude.

5. plucker

plucker New Member

huh? im not a gamer? Yeah i like playing games. But, sadly my pc isnt the best :(

6. Bryanese

Bryanese Tasted LAN and liked it.

Listen, you're Gamerdude1989, don't even bother, it's not worth denying it because here's why:

1. Your desktop wallpaper is some bike. Gamerdude likes bikes but, sure, that's not concrete evidence.

2. You're running a Zalman case. Gamerdude owns such a case and did a review review for his YouTube channel here. Aye, fair enough, circumstantial.

3. Taking old hardware and overclocking it. It was a running theme with a lot of Gamerdude's threads but lots of people overclock old hardware, so that's hardly incriminating.

4. Your writing style (grammatical failings, errors in punctuation, tone, sentence structure, style) is identical to Gamerdude's but, again, not bullet proof but we are getting somewhere.

5. The rest as I've said has its foundations but none of it is solid. That said, your Windows username, 'Azza', that rings an awful bell ...

Oh yeah, it's shorthand for Allan, right? Allan Anderson? As in x_anderson_x89, AKA, Gamerdude1989? See here.

Should anyone wish to know why I don't like Allan Anderson/Allan Staughton/Gamerdude1989/Plucker, they can read about him being jailed for shoving a cat into a tumble drier here.

7. plucker

plucker New Member

Okay.. I cant be assed with hassle tbh with ya..

But, i just want to set the story straight here.... YES, i comitted the crime okay!!! I am not proud of it in the slightest..
    I have mental health issues, and have done since a young age.. Now no, im not going to pass the blame and say it was that, that made me do it because it wasnt... But as anyone else with mental health issues would agree,, it doesnt help your state of mind.. You dont think about the consequences, or even some cases, Your brain dont react to what you are doing, at that very moment in time..
    Like i said.. Im not going to blame it on that.. because that would be incorrect.. BUT.. in honest, i was going through a rough time in life... Everyone makes mistakes.. Yes mine was rather ****in stupid of me.. but its still a mistake...

Like i said.. i am far from proud of what i did.. and still to this day suffer mentally with my past experiences with prison time...
    But i cannot undo what i have done... i can only learn from my mistakes, and become a better person..

I think, in all fairness.. i have payed my punishment for what i did..
    Not only did i serve a custodial sentence in prison.. But i also, lost my partner, lost my home, which in turn meant i lost the ability to be a proper father to my child.. as i no longer wake up to him, and go to bed with him in my care. :(
    Also recieved a ban from owning animals for the rest of my life..
    I also moved out of my home town, to move somewhere that i can lay easy, and get on with my life... leaving alot of my family and friends behind.

Im not looking for any sympathy in the slightest, im just wanting to say ti as it is...
    But not only did i lose all of the above things... I suffered a rather hard time in prison due to my crime, and nearly lost my life due to someone stabbing me, less than 2 inches away from my heart...

I think i have suffered more than enough for the crime i committed..

Sure.. not everyone commits those sort of crimes like i did..
    But before you sit there and judge me for my poor decisions and actions.. Make sure your hands are clean..

I guarantee none of you are perfect.. so dont pretend to be...

I think, society has the concept of judging a book by its cover alot..
    i comitted my crime, but that was nearly 2 years ago...
    I am not a bad person.. that crime.. was the first crime i have ever comitted.. and like i keep saying.. im not proud of my actions.. But, serving my prison sentence, and overcoming my issues, have made me a stronger person now..

My main problem was that i went through a rough patch in my life, which took the wrong turn, and i was decided at that moment in time, to spend my days drinking and taking drugs.. which obviously didnt help anything at all..

But after prison.. i sorted myself out, and like i said.. become a better person..

So like i said.. Before anyone sits there and thinks they are better than me for my poor actions.... make sure your halo is perfectly polished and sitting in the correct location!!!

8. Sajuuk Kahr

Sajuuk Kahr Kustom Addict

9. Ninjagordy

Ninjagordy Winner of The Game (UJFL)

The Gelid Icy Vision II is a fantastic cooler! ;-)

10. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

Gents,

I know gamerdude was banned. I do not know, remember or particularly care why he was banned. I know he was less than a stellar member at times but do not know whether it was due to that, the cat, or something else entirely.

Bryan - Some people are just cut from a bad cloth, true, but others simply make (really) stupid choices and being lambasted for that repeatedly does not help. Justice, as laid down by the laws of our country, has been done. Honestly, yes I think that justice was lenient, but at the same time I can't tell you what I think would be enough. Bottom line is if you don't like it then campaign to have that law toughened or changed. Witch hunts result in nothing good, just ash.

Gamerdude - Seriously, what are you doing? For whatever reason you were banned from here and you did rub some people up the wrong way. Did you really expect to receive a different reception just from re-registering under a different name? Did you really expect nobody would notice?

With all due respect to Graeme and Kustom, this is a tiny weeny small little itty bitty chunk of the internet. There are many places you could go to on the web - UK and otherwise - without getting any grief. For your own sake break that cycle, move on and stop banging your head against a brick wall.

11. Ninjagordy

Ninjagordy Winner of The Game (UJFL)

-_- give the guy a break.... he did something he regrets (which was really bad), he's paid heavily for it, hes trying to move on and be a better person....

give him that chance, if he does something to offend or break the rules then crucify/ban him.

as he has said... no one on here can honestly say they have never made a mistake and done something that they truly regret..maybe not in the same scale as his mistake but really, let it lie and move on... :rolleyes: